5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous easy trees

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed
Published 13 months ago by M. E. Eckhoff

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 3 Nov 2013
M. E. Eckhoff (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Painting Watercolour Trees the Easy Way: Brush with Watercolour 3 (Brush With Watercolours) (Paperback)
This book does what it says and shows you how to paint watercolour trees, but only if you have Terry Harrison Brushes and Paints. I had this book for my birthday and have started to read it. I am enjoying it but finding it painfully irritating as it seems so only mention his paint colours and his brushes on the articles. If you don't have his brushes or paints, then you are stuck and have to try and work out what the equivalent paint mix would be. You will have to experiment with your own paints first to try and identify what his own colours are with reference to your own paints and then substitute them for his own colours which are mainly greens I think. His own brush range are not really equivalent to anything I have either so have to try to work out what I need to try what he is demonstrating. I would really only recommend this book thoroughly if you have Terry's own range of paints and brushes. As I already have paints and brushes I do not really want to buy quite a lot more. So do think about that before buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous easy trees, 19 Dec 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you really struggle with watercolour but are still persevering against all odds, try this book. There are 24 step-by-step demonstrations showing not only trees but landscapes as well. You'll be able to choose scenes from all seasons. There is a complete guide to painting trees in all seasons, then incorporating them into the landscape. Terry guides you through the process showing his palette, brushes and techniques. This book used material previously published as Terry Harrison's Watercolour Trees.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 6 Jun 2013
being a novice to water colour painting this book really shows you the tricks to creating great pictures from the different brushes and techniques to the basics of mixing and blending colour using easy to follow methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars trees in watercolour, 23 Mar 2013
This book is great to get you started and for reference to the shape of the trees done simply. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry's Book on Tree Painting., 7 July 2013
Andreos Greco (North Bucks. UK.) - See all my reviews
Terry Harrison . . TOPS
The size of the book . . excellento
The joy is the passing of the instruction through your eyes and brain and out of the hands and fingers to show you how you can really master the intricacies of trees near and far.

4.0 out of 5 stars watercolours of trees, 29 Sep 2013
Mrs. P. Turner "Bookworm" (England UK) - See all my reviews
I love painting trees and this book is very good for detail and information on how to draw them before adding the paint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 29 Dec 2013
I have purchased several of Mr Harrison"s books on painting, and found them very easy to follow.It"s a great help to a amateur painter.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great book full of really good suggestions, 14 Aug 2014
It is what most of the other reviews say: a great book full of really good suggestions, but you will need his brushes to put it into practice. I took up watercolour half a year ago, and again on my last day out, I found my results on painting trees more than unsatisfactory and came home very disappointed and disillusioned. This book has given me the confidence back that I could actually achieve results. But yes, I just went to Amazon and bought a set of his brushes, because I still have no idea on how to produce satisfactory results with my existing brushes. By the way: I also bought from him the 30 minutes artist on Painting water in the same order, and I was so disappointed because I thought a lot of those pictures were very amateurish. So to me a complete contrast between those two books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed view, 8 Jan 2013
I won't comment about Terry's paintings - it is such a personal opinion.

What really annoyed me so much that it put me off this book is the description of recommended brushes. Who on earth has heard of brushes called "Golden Leaf"; "Wizard"' "Fan Gogh" or "Fan Gogh px"? Ok, I have heard of them, but only because they are sold under Terry's name. Perhaps I shouldn't feel annoyed by this, but I do! I just don't expect this sort of thing in what I hoped was a serious art book.

On a more positive note, the illustrations, whether you like the finished paintings or not, are clear and the quality of reproduction is good. The notes are also very clear.

I guess the title is clear enough - this is a book designed more for the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jun 2014
Terry makes painting trees look very easy, he shows the way to better interpretation . A great book for beginners and experienced alike.