Format: Paperback|Change

I must admit being fairly disappointed with this book. Although the book is beautifully produced and has a few reasonable animals, most of the "soft toy" type are bears. Also, several of these type of patterns I consider to be rather crudely designed; this seems to be a new trend and may suit some people, though. The patterns are not full-sized and have to be either enlarged on a photocopier, scanned and enlarged with your own computer software, or transferred onto graph paper - more of a nuisance than a problem.

Another problem (or "fault") that I encountered was the pattern for the cloth dog, in that the head gusset pattern did not fit the side head pattern. I therefore had to re-draw it myself.

The instructions are not illustrated and are very sketchy; this style of teaching can be difficult to follow, as you cannot see what is in the mind of the person explaining the construction of the subject. I have seen books with much better instructions available on the market.

I consider myself an experienced sewer, and would definitely not recommend the book to a beginner. I doubt whether I will bother with any of the other patterns in the book. All in all, a bit disappointing.
on 24 December 2012
A very dissappointing book - does not live up to its description. Too many rather boring bears - I was hoping for lots of modern ideas for animals to make from modern fabrics. You will not find them here. Instructions are surprizingly poor for a Search Press published book. The instructions for scaling up the patterns - require a trip to a copy shop - not always easy for everyone and two lots of enlargements, 1 x 200% and then another by 160%. There are no contacts for an author or for suppliers. Instructions for jointing hopelessly brief. If you are an experienced maker you might use it for ideas - but those are fairly thin on the ground. Its going straight into my 'sell back' pile.
on 14 February 2014
I bought this book as I wanted to make gifts for my daughters'. Something I hadn't really noticed was the lack of diagrams for assembling the pattern pieces. When I cam to assemble the pieces I found it quite difficult using only the narration from the instructions. I am an accomplished sewer/seamstress and found that I had to alter the shape of some of the pattern pieces in order for them to actually fit once sewn.
Having step by step diagrams is incredibly useful for items such as these, but slightly vague instructions are not helpful at all. I should have paid more attention to whether there were diagrams, so that is my fault BUT the book would hugely benefit from them. There are some beautiful gifts to make but I am disappointed. I have ordered a different book which does have step by step diagrams. Personally, I would say that this book is not worth it.
on 22 May 2013
The book is good but the pattern's are a real pain to print out. It took me a good hour to print a couple of toy patterns off (it's ashame the patterns weren't included in the book so you can get started sewing quickly!!)
on 9 April 2013
I was really looking forward to this book and starting a new project but I am really sad that I had such high expectations. You have to be a mathematician and have a photocopier to hand to get started, full of good ideas but very demanding to understand how to get started. I will in future read the reviews :-(
on 23 June 2013
WONDERFUL PHOTOGRAPHS WITH INTERESTING PROJECTS. HOWEVER MOST OF THE TEMPLATES NEED RESIZING WHICH MAKES IT MUCH MORE COMPLICATED. YOU NEED A PHOTOCOPIER TO DO THE ENLARGING AND TO BE REASONABLY GOOD AT MATHS! NOT EASY FOR A NOVICE LIKE ME!! I HAVE YET TO ATTEMPT A PROJECT.
on 13 October 2013
Purchased this book a couple of weeks ago with the prospect of making a soft toy as a unique, handmade gift for a newborn. The rabbit on the front cover seemed like the perfect project. I do not consider myself a professional sewer however I am not a beginner and still the instructions for this project were extremely limited leaving a lot the imagination. This would have been fine had the pattern pieces fitted though unfortunately, after such a hassle enlarging them on the photocopier, they did not and proved to be very clumsy. After several failed attempts and adjustments I can only see that the pattern would require redrafting. Having spent a fair amount of money on the fabric and a good few hours trying to decrypt the instructions/ pattern, it's now back to the drawing board. After such high hopes it's seems a waste and very disappointing indeed. In future, I will certainly be reading reviews more thoroughly rather than going on average rating!
on 25 May 2012
Don't waste your money, the only thing worth making is on the cover, it's all downhill from there in.The instructions(not that you'll need them cos you won't want to make anything) are confusing too.
on 24 August 2013
A lovely selection of animals to make, some good basic shapes to develop in your own style. The writer does assume some knowledge of sewing techniques and pattern construction.
on 29 July 2014
Terrible. I bought this book after wanting to make a soft toy for my new born baby 2 months before he was born . I favoured the bunny featured on the front . Cut the pieces -sewn as instructed . The pattern was so poor you couldn't finish putting the bunny together. Lovely ideas but a complete waste of money.