5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book
Published on 30 Nov. 2012 by S D

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but don't think you only need a jelly roll!
Published 23 months ago by BeautifulThings

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
I brought this book after reading the other reviews and have to agree with all of the reviewers. Carolyn has used some wonderful colour choices in the projects and it looks like many of the quilts have used fabrics from an existing stash rather than just going for the commercially produced jelly rolls which, whilst gorgeous, can sometimes make a quilt look a little too 'rigid.' The inclusion of fabrics from your personal stash of fabrics give a quilt unique character and there are clear instructions given on how to cut strips for this purpose. All the methods are clearly shown in pictures so are suitable for any newcomer to quilting. The 9 quilts included are simple in design but because of the colour choices used, look far more complicated. There are also instructions to make 9 small gifts which are great if you need to sew something up in a hurry and also makes use of any left-over fabric strips. A great book at a great price and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars best jelly roll book, 1 Nov. 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
The Lintotts shot to the top of the popularity quilt polls with their books on jelly roll quilts published by D&C. I used to look at these and whilst I didn't dislike them, they seemed to be rather staid in the colour stakes. You know how I like my colour. Enter Carolyn, who has simply made my heart flutter with this new jelly roll quilt book. Jelly rolls are quite naughty, anyone who loves either fabric or quilting or both, tends to collect these jolly little rolled up pieces and fall in love with the colours. They might even have a tendency to sit in your stash unused.

Bring out your jelly rolls and start a new quilt project with the help of this book. Carolyn starts by talking about jelly rolls, fabric, equipment and basics, so even if you are a beginner, you'll be on the right track with this book. She walks you through cutting, stitching, layering, basting and of course quilting, binding and labelling with easy to follow instructions and good step by step photos. So this book is highly usable. Nine quilt projects are given with clear instructions, there are also templates at the back of the book. In addition, there are 9 gifts including a bag, doorstop, wreath and pincushion. I loved all the projects and I'll be surprised if you don't too. This book will give you the confidence to quilt. Move over the Lintotts, this is the best jelly roll book I've seen. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jelly roll knowhow., 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
I have no experience of jelly rolls, so when I saw this attractive book, I decided to learn. Although I have had no time to do one of its projects, I have nevertheless read the book and am impressed by the explanations. I look forward to trying out both buying a jelly roll and starting a project very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting, 3 Nov. 2012
witchygirl (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
I read a review of this book on Amazon and decided to buy it on the strength of that alone. I am not disappointed. It is a fabulous book with something for everyone. No matter if you have never quilted or are very experienced, this book is a dream. Can't wait to get started on the Humbug door stop. I've enough fabric in my stash to make it this weekend. Carolyn Forster has produced the perfect book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those just starting to quilt, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
A beautifully presented book with easy to understand instructions. Very well illustrated and with some lovely projects. I have been quilting for a short while now and although I am not a complete beginner, I am finding the book easy to read and a good reminder of some of the techniques needed to produce beautiful quilts and gifts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
Lovely Book with lovely projects.

Instructions could be a bit more comprehensive as a beginner might struggle to follow them.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but don't think you only need a jelly roll!, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
I was swayed by the gushing reviews. It's a book which is.....fine. If you love all those (of course, American) quilts, with fabulous, interesting fabrics and complex patterns, this book will leave you lukewarm. On having the book in my hands, I found it a bit old-fashioned really. I have moved away from patchwork in recent years, and have been keen to get back into it. All my fabric is a bit dated now (perfect for this book, it turns out!), so I bought this to justify buying a jelly roll or two and getting back into it without filling my house with more fabric than I need to. The vital point you need to know before you rush to buy this is that just having a jelly roll won't be enough. Every single project calls for substantial amounts of more fabric; for some reason, measured primarily in feet. I don't think I ever even heard of buying fabric by the foot! One lists a jelly roll and 18 3/4 feet of fabric, plus another 19 1/2 inches for the binding.
It just wasn't what I was expecting. I'm not a complete idiot, I was expecting to make some extra purchases, but I can't even get started here without a massive shopping trip. Two From One Jelly Roll Quilts by the Lintotts was nearer the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good book, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
There are lots of quilting books doing the roounds at the moment...and a lot are very much the same...but this book has lots of differnt projects and ideas...as well as quilts in it...the book was very well written and easy to understand...and had excellent photos too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and modern designs, 23 Jan. 2013
Mariana (West Country, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
What can I say except "wow"? This is a beautiful book and I'm so pleased I ordered it. The quilts and little extras are fantastic and when I get to the end of my current list of things to make I'll be delving into this book. It arrived within three days of ordering and I must compliment DPD for their excellent delivery service....I even had an e.mail early this morning giving me a time slot for delivery and it arrived within 5 minutes of this, despite the fact it is snowing at the moment. I have often looked at jelly rolls but didn't think I could justify buying one when I have so much fabric in my stash. However, once I realised just how much total fabric there is in one it doesn't work out too expensive. The colour ways used in this book are lovely - bright and modern - and the designs are fresh and easy to make. I hope the author gets to read the reviews of her gorgeous book. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts (Paperback)
I am very pleased I brought this book. This is a great book to have if you are just starting quilting and like me ready to move on from just patchwork squares.
The information the author gives on how to finish your quilt and the easy ways to baste the top to the wadding were very helpful.
There are some lovely quilts and gifts to make with very clear instructions, pictures and even patterns for the quilts in the back of the book for you to copy on to card or plastic.
This is a great beginner/ novice quilter book and out of all the quilting books I have I will be usuing this a lot :)

Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts
Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts by Carolyn Forster (Paperback - 25 Oct. 2012)