5.0 out of 5 stars Great speciality photography book
Published on 18 Jan 2012 by Daisy-May

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for a basic introduction to cameras
I was recommended this book by a friend and although i agree that its a good introduction to using a camera and the different settings you can use to make your photos look better (eg depth of field, aparature) i didn't find it very in depth in terms of style and colour for example (although these were included).
Published 18 months ago by Claire

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speciality photography book, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: Fool-Proof Techniques to Make Your Handmade Creations Shine Online (Paperback)
I am starting a crafting business and the thing I was most concerned about was product photography. I have so many products taking them all to a professional studio wouldn't be feasible and having a dslr camera (but used to taking photos on Auto mode) I needed a book like this. I struggled to find this book and am so glad I persevered. It explains all different photography terms, from ISO to aperture and gives real world examples to explain what all the terms mean. It also gives ways of creating different 'diy accessories' - light boxes etc. It seems really down to earth, in that it is a photography book with a purpose, not a general one that tries to sell you their branded products.

I already have my camera but there is a section on camera purchase and doesn't discriminate compact cameras which I thought was great.

Really looking forward to the photography now whereas before this book that was the area that was concerning me most!

Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully set out and a lovely read, 11 Feb 2012
After reading all the other reviews,I was very much looking forward to getting this book. I have to say it does not disappoint, lovely pictures to inspire (each with details of how they were taken) and informative text that does not overwhelm as so many books about photography do. I even had to prize it out of my husbands hands. I'm looking forward already to starting lots of projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational and informative book, 7 Mar 2012
The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos is a great book for anyone who wants to sell their crafts online or start up a craft blog. The book begins with a section on choosing and using a digital camera. The pros and cons of digital types of cameras are clearly set out so this is very useful for the complete beginner. The rest of the book is divided up into chapters on photographing different types of crafts. There is lots of information on composition and the use of props and backgrounds. There are question and answer sections on common problems throughout the book and I found these particularly useful. One thing I really liked about this book is that it is very inspirational with lots of lovely photos and interviews with professional crafters. The only problem I had with this book is that there is not enough advice for people with compact cameras. Compact cameras are mentioned in the first chapter, but I think the author assumes most people are using a SLR. I would have found a section which explains how to overcome the limitations of a compact camera very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 9 Mar 2012
I am in the process of setting up a soapmaking business and couldn't believe how timely this book was. I couldn't put it down and have read it cover to cover. It is full of useful information and tips and very much aimed at the craft market. I love the guide on making your own little light box, great for my small items. The best part is the workflow listing towards the back of the book, I have always struggled with which part of the editing to tackle first so it was worth the price for that help alone.

The information given will be valuable to anybody who wants to photograph their work regardless of what their speciality craft is, I am eternally grateful to find this gem of a book at just the right time for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 15 April 2012
I would highly recommend this book to any crafters who are hoping to sell their products online. The text is highly informative without being dry as I have found with other photography books. The images are really inspiring, they are in fact so successful I wanted to find out more about the products/crafters featured. There are different sections advising on techniques to use when photographing different craft objects. These are all interesting regardless of your chosen field. I found the section on lighting and backdrops particularly useful. Great book, beautifully designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars improve your photography skills, 21 May 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Whatever your craft, you'll find this book useful. Taking great photos is one of the biggest aids to selling your wares. The difference between a product that looks good and a product that looks so-so is often good photography. This book covers different products and features practitioners. Heidi gives foolproof techniques that anyone can use. I think she's thought of everything. I believe this book would improve most people's skills. It gives basic instructions on cameras, backgrounds, composition and more. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 7 May 2012
This Book is a fantastic resource for improving your photography and like the title says making your handmade creations shine. Easy to understand with photography jargon explained and its great how it not all targeted at photography with top of the range cameras, there is info on a basic camera ranges. Lots f tips, really useful, Highly Recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - excellent guide, 15 Mar 2012
A really useful read for anyone who needs to take photographs of their products. Great to have a guide that runs through incredibly useful tips on taking good shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book, 16 July 2012
This book is marvellous if you are looking to improve your photo's when selling your online crafts. Packed full of tips and techniques from which camera to buy to correct lighting when taking your images, to give highly professional results. Well written and very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars smart book for photo novices, 13 May 2012
Daisy Craft (West Midlands,UK) - See all my reviews
Simple to follow, for the novice photographer to the more advanced person. this book has vastly improved my knowledge and hopefully my online products photos appear more
exciting- more crisp even
with all,you ever need to know. thus increasing your selling on Amazon to Ebay to Folksy
if only this book was in my wish list 2 years ago