Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2012
I new what to expect when I pre-ordered Vibrant Acrylics as I have attended many of Hash's workshops but when it came I was supprised how different it was to other artists books. I am used to seeing the vibrancy of his work and his beautiful brush strokes so was thrilled to see in his book how easy it was to follow. I had completed two of the tuition excersise in the first weekend using his tecnique and my photos. What I also liked was that there were swatches for the ground colour. Can't wait for the next book!!
on 20 February 2013
I had been waiting for this book from Hashim after seeing him demonstrate his methods at the SAA art day in Islington 2011. I was mesmerised at the way mere strokes suddenly become 3D images using imaginative and bold colours. Having read it several times now it has really helped me understand how and why tonal values are far more important than detail in the initial stages and my own art is improving as a result of this. It really makes you think in a different way and Hashim holds your hand through the various projects. Well worth the purchas if you want to improve. Whilst he uses acrylics it works for oils too.
on 20 April 2012
what a fantastic book. Excellent value and so refreshing to see pictures of used brushes and palettes instead of squeaky clean ones. Hashim talks as if you are a friend and the book is full of inspiring pictures and ideas.
Highly recommended, whether you are a beginner or an experienced artist. Well worth the money.
on 12 February 2013
Excellent book, the paintings are vibrant and exciting. If you want to "free up" your painting this is the book to buy.
If you're a beginner wanting to give acrylic a try the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 April 2012
This book is certainly vibrant. The energetic paintings show some of the possibilities for creating art with acrylics. I like the portraits best, but there are busy city scenes, landscapes and animals. Some demonstrations show the techniques. You might be surprised by the size of the brush (not as big as the ones Rolf Harris used to use for his TV demos (that dates me!) and by how much paint Hashim loads onto his brush - but it works, so give it a go. This book is as full on as the paintings themselves. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 26 January 2016
Thank you Hash! I have painted all my life but had got into a rut. I have bought many art books but no artist has ever been so generous as Hash in showing us exactly how to paint in his wonderful, exciting style. He basically takes everything you have ever learned about how to paint (such as start with the background, mix colours on the palette, use white to tone down the colour etc etc) and turns it on its head. Since buying this book and DVD I have produced 3 paintings that are not a 'copy' of Hash's work, but look far freer and painterly than anything I have ever done before.I have recommended this book to other artist friends.
review image review image review image
on 21 March 2013
I have found this book very helpful when using acrylics. It has a very user friendly down to earth approach to painting and the hints given are useful, innovative and thought provoking. It takes away a lot of the fear encountered when faced with a blank canvas.
on 11 April 2012
I'd been waiting a while for this book to be published and was delighted when it popped through my letterbox. Hashim Akib's work is vibrant and full of life and his approach to acrylics is just what I was looking for.
All the basics are included such as choice of paints, brushstrokes, composition etc but it isn't a plain old 'how to' book - it's much more than that. His enthusiasm for his art shines through as his demos display how to create paintings full of life and colour. The assorted demos range from animals to abstract, landscapes to crowds with lots of lovely colour photos and easy to understand instructions. As the previous review states, this is a book about juicy,thick acrylics and not about pretending they are oils or watercolours - let's hear it for acrylics!
on 18 August 2012
This is a totally original way of painting with acrylics. The colours in Hashim's work really "sing". I have attended two of his workshops and this book takes me further with his technique. If you want to produce paintings that are really sensational then buy this book.
on 7 July 2012
What can I say.... I love this book and the artist. I saw him work at the SAA 'all about painting' I was so happy when I saw this book for sale (a short demo is never enough to take it all in) it is so full of colour 'vibrant' it shows step by step how to achieve the result you are looking for in a totally different style with colours I would never have thought of to use in this way.
Thank you Akim maybe one day I will paint like you I will keep on trying with the help of your great book............