5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, with many tips and demonstrations
Published on 20 Aug 2012 by H. Nye

3.0 out of 5 stars i liked it
again, i bought this book, thinking i was going to get lots of projects but thats not what u get, but its very good if you just want to do drawing
Published 21 months ago by fruit44

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, with many tips and demonstrations, 20 Aug 2012
H. Nye "han3617" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
Although I love Vic Bearcroft's work (and have his excellent wild animal pastel DVD set), I wasn't sure what to expect of this book - usually relying heavily on the 'Look Inside' link! But it's a great book and covers drawing, watercolour, acrylic and pastels / pencils - although obviously none are covered in excessive detail, given that the book is only 128 pages long.

The chapters are:
- Introduction
- Materials
- Impact: tone and colour
- Getting started
- Big cats (including Step-by-step: Tiger)
- Ungulates (including Step-by-step: Zebra)
- Bears (including Step-by-step: Panda)
- Pachyderms (including Step-by-step: Asian Elephant)
- Great Apes (including Step-by-step: Chimpanzee)
- Canids (including Step-by-step: Wolf)

One feature I found particularly helpful were short sections covering specific things that some people might struggle with - eg. eyes, noses, paws etc. But I'll try to upload a couple of photos from inside the book in a bit...

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited and just what I hoped for!!, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
Having been a fan of Vic's work for many years, and having attended a couple of his workshops, I have long been awaiting this book.
Brilliant! As much as I love working in pastels now (thanks to Vic!), I am so pleased that there's a variety of projects and mediums on offer, and can't wait to get cracking on a few, in particular the wolf and elephant projects.
What I am also pleased (and relieved) about is that the projects in the book are achievable - I'm never going to have the ability to paint like Vic, but I'll keep trying!
The sections I particularly liked, and will find very useful when painting different animals, are the fur maps, eyes (which I struggle with!), and the basic/simple shapes to create the subjects.
This is going to be my reference book of choice from now, and won't ever be far from my easel!

4.0 out of 5 stars wild about wild animals, 6 Sep 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
An exciting approach to drawing realistic animals. Follow Vic's instructions and you too should be able to create beautiful animal portraits. Included are gorillas, wild cats, bears and more. Vic pays particular attention to anatomy and getting the features right, which should help improve your own skills. Well illustrated and easy to follow. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB - A MUST HAVE!!!, 23 Aug 2012
S. Ridge (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
Having attended several of Vic's excellent workshops at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust, I've been eagerly awaiting this book.
Despite having shelves full of art instruction books, I can honestly say that this book has explained things in a clearer way than any other I own, & as a result I've learnt so much more.
One of the many good things about this book is that it's not limited to the use of a single medium, as many instruction books are. It covers the use of pastels, acrylics, coloured pencils, watercolour & charcoal with really excellent step by step projects.
I love the 'Vic's tips' which are found on nearly every page & the detailed instuctions on how to draw & paint a variety of features of different species of animals.
Vic's passion for animals & his knowledge of their behaviour comes through in this book, I highly recommend this & if you can - attend one of his fantastic workshops to learn from him first hand & you get to help an animal conservation organisation at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
I was very much looking forward to this book as I love Vic Bearcroft's work, and I was not disappointed. The instructions and demonstrations were easy to follow and very helpful. Vic's love of the animals he portrays always is evident and he inspires me to try for the same sort of empathy. My only criticism is that the book is not long enough. I hope that he intends to produce a sequel. A truly delightful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drawing & Painting Wild Animals By Vic Bearcroft, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book and one that I will constantly be dipping into. I love the way Vic has set each chapter out with simple line drawings that take away that scary feeling of where do I start when sketching a live wild animal. I know he covers other mediums such as acrylic and watercolour as well as pastels but there is something to be learnt from each of these when painting wildlife. Thank you Vic for a truly excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, I am delighted., 18 Aug 2012
Maz Dutton (Egerton Bolton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
I pre-ordered Vic Bearcroft's book, and was delighted when it arrived unexpectedly early. I can tell you I wasn't disappointed either. This book is well written, and suitable even for beginners as Vic clearly demonstrates the use of simple shapes to begin the drawing process. The more experienced artist may not necessarily benefit from this information, nonetheless it is useful to review the process and see how another artist begins his compositions. As for the paintings, this book is so beautifully demonstrated using many different mediums, such as pastels (Vic's specialty) and acrylics, watercolour and even coloured pencils. There are many step by step projects for you to follow along with. Vic Bearcroft is clearly a master at painting and drawing wildlife animals and thDrawing and Painting Wild Animalsis book is simply a must have for any wildlife enthusiast or animal artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars drawing and painting wild animals by Vic Bearcroft, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
As a fan and admirer of Vic's work first and foremost for many years, I was eager to get Vic's book. On receiving the book I was not disappointed, the book was informative and well suited for all levels of artist.This book is the next best thing to Vic actually guiding you in person, and as someone who's been fortunate in the past to receive support and guidance from Vic in person the book explains situations and technique with the same insight and passion as Vic does in person. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in or currently painting wildlife to get it no matter what your level is you'll gain something from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art., 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
Absolutely love this book and the artist. His art is so life like. I would reccomend any of his books or DVD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars A workshop on every page, 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: Drawing and Painting Wild Animals (Paperback)
Drawing and painting wild animals by Vic bearcroft is a brilliant book!
I am steadly working through the different exercises he gives and it is really improving my drawing skills. It is a art workshop on every page!
Well done Vic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Drawing and Painting Wild Animals
Drawing and Painting Wild Animals by Vic Bearcroft (Paperback - 7 Aug 2012)
10.49