4.0 out of 5 stars Clear Pattern Dictionary with design help
The lost star is simply that I rarely meet perfection and this dictionary is not the only Fairisle book you need, or might be tempted by, but what it does, it does very well. Own it alongside Starmore's Charted Fairisle book and you're all set, because Ms Starmore gives a lot more different types of pattern from different traditions.

The designs are arranged so...
Published on 25 Dec 2011 by PR

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple and boring
Maybe my expectations were just too high - I assumed a comprehensive book of fair isle patterns, as beautiful as they can be - flowers, leaves, butterflies, animals,... But this book doesn't contain any of those - just simple, boring abstract stripes. Maybe a couple of them could be classified as flowers, but that's the most lively thing the book can offer. Of course, if...
Published 18 months ago by Wilhelmiina Hämäläinen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 May 2014
This review is from: 200 Fair Isle Designs: Knitting Charts, Combination Designs, and Colour Variations (Paperback)
Very handy, very clear and concise just the ticket. It is avery good starter book . If you are new to fair isle this will be a great help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality in quantity!, 27 Mar 2014
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has the skill. Plenty of designs to choose from. Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the cover, 7 Feb 2014
A good book to have on the shelf with a wide selection of designs and good clear charts that are easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars All you ever need - an inspiration for knitting, 29 Jan 2014
I am a regular knitter and I like trying out all techniques. I was given this product as a gift and I am really delighted with this book. It's comprehensive, clear and inspirational.
The book is more than a simple pattern book. The principles of fair-isle knitting is explained beautifully in text and with illustrations. It's not over-technical, nor patronising or simplifying. The layout and presentation of the book is most professional and inspires to start with a small project and develop from there. The book's structure supports this approach well by grading the designs, starting going from simple to complex, also giving examples of how to combine designs.
I personally cannot find fault with this book and whole-heartedly recommend it to any intermediate or advanced knitter who likes to master this technique!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book, 21 Jan 2014
I have to admit...I love Mary Jane Mucklestone's designs. I would purchase a book of her patterns, sight unseen, because I just know I'm going to love them. So buying this book was a no-brainer for me. It is an excellent collection of fairisle designs and would be well received from anyone wishing to increase their fairisle ability and library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 14 Jan 2014
Pickle "Branston" (Leighton Buzzard Beds) - See all my reviews
I volunteered to knit a cushion cover in Fairisle for an exhibition. I had never knitted Fairisle before, despite having knitted for 50 years.
I am now knitting my 3rd cushion cover, they are 55 cm square, so not small cushions.
I used the designs in this book for the cushions, staring with the two row simple patterns and gradually worked up to bigger and more complex patterns. Stripping them.I also used colours that whilst they complemented each other where very clear [ie cream on dark green] I now use more subtle colours [different shades of red in the same design which is very pleasing]The whole family are impressed.
My daughter loved the first one so much that she asked me to knit her one for her birthday [she's getting two]. The one that went on display was much admired and it encouraged others to try knitting in Fairisle. My only down point was totally personal I didn't like some of the colour combinations used, so I just did my own thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour work for knitting, 26 Dec 2013
I love this book. I like to make my own kids jumpers. This book is page after page of patterns. All easy and all in colour,
Tells how many stitches to a pattern repeat and shows the pattern repeat clearly, you do not have to work it out yourself.
If you are new to using two different colours at the same time, this is a good book to start with.
I am an experienced colour work knitter and still go to this book when I do not want a complicated design and want to be able to knit and natter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating colours, 27 Nov 2013
The colours, patterns and presentation are beautiful,
Made me homesick for the islands, Hope to get knitting again
very soon when my broken arm heals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fair isle, 12 Nov 2013
Annmarie marlow (FRANCE) - See all my reviews
Ifd you love colours these patterns are perfect I am using all my leftover balls of yarns and the result is lovely and very original

5.0 out of 5 stars Fair Isle Inspiration In Abundance, 23 May 2013
This book is so amazing, I cant put it down, the designs are awesome. The pictures are so beautiful and the patterns and whole layout of the book is so well put together and easy to use. Before purchasing this book I had only attempted Fair Isle twice on two very small samples, but I was eager to learn more and this book has just made that possible beyond my imagination. I have had it less than a week and already tried out 7 patterns, I am now planning my first proper Fair Isle jumper, and everyone I have shown this book to is so impressed (knitters and non knitters aswell) everyone wants a Fair isle jumper.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to either learn Fair Isle Knitting from scratch or an advanced knitter. Mary Mucklestone is a Fair Isle genius and this book is so wonderfully inspirational, I wish I'd discovered it sooner.