4.0 out of 5 stars good grounding in fair-isle patterns
Published on 21 Nov. 2011 by K. Platt

3.0 out of 5 stars would not have bought this if i had seen it in a shop
The book has a beautiful cover,but there are far to many small designs in the book,and some of the colour schemes are far to dark,probably only do a couple of the designs,if i had seen it in a shop,i would not have bought it.
Published 5 days ago by MARGARETWALKER

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars good grounding in fair-isle patterns, 21 Nov. 2011
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 200 Fair Isle Designs: Knitting Charts, Combination Designs, and Colour Variations (Paperback)
Fair-isle has always been one of my favoured knitting techniques. From anyone who has struggled to design their own patterns, or who prefers to knit from ready made patterns, here are 200 designs from two-colour up. There are also ideas for mixing and matching patterns. Fair-isle is a skill and requires passing the yarn over the back of the knitting so that it dos not pull. This book also teaches you about yarns, casting on, circular knitting, holding the yarns, stranding and weaving and more. There is some basic design information. For each pattern, there is a black and white chart, the colours used, a colour variation and a suggested allover repeat pattern. Please note designs are worked from charts only and there are no written instructions. I think this book will prove very useful and will become a classic for traditional knitters. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear Pattern Dictionary with design help, 25 Dec. 2011
The lost star is simply that I rarely meet perfection and this dictionary is not the only Fairisle book you need, but what it does, it does very well.

The designs are arranged so you can select them easily on sight alone. The pictures are not intended, I believe, to be slavishly copied tint for tint. They are to give you a sense of how the shapes in the design will look. Two different colour selections enable you to see some of the figure/ground options. By this I mean that you can create different shapes on the same chart sometimes, by making different things prominent, using dark/light elements, or perhaps bright/neutral.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAIR ISLE, 12 Nov. 2012
J. M. Bastow (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
I have knitted for many years but always thought Fair Isle would be difficult until I went on a Colourwork course and realised what I had been missing. I came home and immediately looked for a suitable book and this was the one I chose and was not disappointed. It is an excellent book for a novice "Fair Isler" like myself. The designs are inspirational and there are lots of tips and instructions. It s a beautiful book to own too, so nice just to sit and browse through. I would recommend it to anyone looking for ideas for patterns and confidence to take their first steps into to this wonderful world of Fair Isle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear Pattern Dictionary with design help, 25 Dec. 2011
The lost star is simply that I rarely meet perfection and this dictionary is not the only Fairisle book you need, or might be tempted by, but what it does, it does very well. Own it alongside Starmore's Charted Fairisle book and you're all set, because Ms Starmore gives a lot more different types of pattern from different traditions.

The designs are arranged so you can select them easily on sight alone. The pictures are not intended, I believe, to be slavishly copied tint for tint. They are to give you a sense of how the shapes in the design will look. Two different colour selections enable you to see some of the figure/ground options. By this I mean that you can create different shapes on the same chart sometimes, by making different things prominent, using dark/light elements, or perhaps bright/muted.

It helps knitters like me who are learning about Fairisle design to see the alternatives, and that inspires me to experiment and put my own twist on things. Look out for the same book with no picture on this site. It's a lot cheaper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 24 May 2012
I've just been learning how to do fairisle properly but was having difficulty knowing what colours to put together. This book is brilliant in suggesting interesting colour combinations. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motifs or Designs, 22 Jan. 2012
This is a lovely book, well thought out and with excellent full size photos.
There is just one slight snag - the identical book has been brought out by Search Press under the heading of 200 Fair Isles Designs. How do I know? I bought both. I shall have a very happy knitting friend when I give her one of them next week...
The other thing to note is that the Designs book is cheaper. But do buy one of the books, as it covers lots of information and advice which I found very helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars 200 Fair Isle Designs, 29 Nov. 2013
This is a beautiful book and the sections at the beginning provide a great introduction to the essential skills for knitting Fair Isle designs. I found the information on 'steeking' really very useful indeed as I'd always imagined it must be possible to cut into a knitted garment to adjust and/or move seams but I'd never before seen a description of techniques to accomplish this

My only reservation is possibly not about the book but about the information that accompanies it on these Amazon pages. This is a book which is really a compendium of fair isle designs - it does not include knitting patterns or directions for making a garment and it is possible to misunderstand that the phrase 'knitting pattern' ONLY refers to the banded designs for which Fair Isle is so famous. There are four pages on beginning the process of designing your own garment but the author is quite clear that these are just a few ideas, and that this book does not cover garment design in any depth.

However, if that is understood, then this is a great book for anyone embarking on the first or their umpteenth project - the explanations are clear with great accompanying illustrations and the Fair Isle designs are beautiful. I love this book and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Designs or Motifs, 22 Jan. 2012
This is a lovely book, well thought out and beautifully photographed (full size at that). I can recommend it highly. There is just one thing to beware of - this is the identical book to Fair Isle Motifs. Designs is the cheaper edition, I was led astray by the lack of photo of the front cover, and bought both. I shall have a very happy knitting friend next week when I give her the 'spare' one. As a fair isle nervous knitter, the book gives confidence and has useful advice and information, so do buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 14 Jan. 2014
Pickle "Branston" (Leighton Buzzard Beds) - See all my reviews
I volunteered to knit a cushion cover in Fairisle for an exhibition. I had never knitted Fairisle before, despite having knitted for 50 years.
I am now knitting my 3rd cushion cover, they are 55 cm square, so not small cushions.
I used the designs in this book for the cushions, staring with the two row simple patterns and gradually worked up to bigger and more complex patterns. Stripping them.I also used colours that whilst they complemented each other where very clear [ie cream on dark green] I now use more subtle colours [different shades of red in the same design which is very pleasing]The whole family are impressed.
My daughter loved the first one so much that she asked me to knit her one for her birthday [she's getting two]. The one that went on display was much admired and it encouraged others to try knitting in Fairisle. My only down point was totally personal I didn't like some of the colour combinations used, so I just did my own thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars 200 Fair Isle Designs, 31 May 2012
An excellent book, very easy to follow with good clear photographs and explanations. It's a book I would recommend to anyone whether you are a beginner to Fair Isle or experienced.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›