Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 February 2012
A friend at work has been trying to get me into cross-stitch and after a long search for cross-stitch kits that I like, didn't look too difficult and I could afford, I came across a kit for crewel embroidery. After researching more into the subject (including watching video's on YouTube) I came upon the theory that because it is a type of freestyle (you draw or iron on your own patterns and can stitch how you like in whatever colour you wish), it is easier to do than cross-stitch and the results are better (ie no jagged edges).

The book covers everything from fabric, needles, threads, frames, hoops etc to designing your patterns and doing the stitches, giving examples of 39 different stitches you can use to outline and fill the patterns. It is spiral bound, so it will lay open on the sofa while you stitch. Short of having Jacqui Mcdonald sat across from you as you work, I don't think you could do better that buy this book.

I would also recommend The Embroidery Stitch Bible which has an illustration and how to do guide for every stitch you will ever need (over 200), which you can use around the edge of your work and a Easy Clip Tapestry Frame - 9" x 6" because a hoop can crease the linen.
on 18 October 2012
Firstly, I couldn't believe how quickly the book arrived. Secondly what a charming and inspirational book. It was perfect with the spiral bind so the pages can stay open whilst you are working. I really enjoyed the pictures, the colours it was a pleasure to read. I should imagine even if you had never concerned yourself with any Crewelwork before, upon reading this book you would think "I might give this a try". The only criticsm is that I wish it had been available years ago !!
on 14 March 2014
Fabulous!
I f you are new to crewel embroidery or want to improve your range and accuracy of stitching, this is the book for you.
This little book is perfect in every way.
With my first ever piece of crewel work, this book has enabled me to, master all the stitches in the book. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to execute the stitches with accuracy and confidence.
1. written by the most expert in crewel work in the country
2. the instructions are precise , concise, perfectly executed
3. beautifully illustrated
4. bound on a spiral ring with hard cover, so that the page you require will stay open and flat, while you refer to it as you work
5. It takes you through design. I for one will never buy another iron on pattern.
on 18 February 2012
As the title suggests, I have found this an 'essential' stitch guide. The clear illustrations are easy to follow and as a beginner, I have referred to this book regularly to perfect my stitching. With the author's links to the RSN, I am confident I am learning from the best!
on 17 March 2014
An excellent book. Clear, straightforward instructions, for beginner or expert alike. Beautifully illustrated. The spiral binding enables it be 'open' whilst stitching is in progress, therefore allowing the embroiderer to follow easily.
on 17 November 2012
The RSN books are all amazing. They contain full, detailed, clear instructions on how to execute the stitches with fantastic illustrations of their amazing work. The books are also designed to open flat and stay put so that you can still see the instructions while you have both hands occupied with the embroidery. If you can't afford one of their courses, their books are the next best thing. I shall soon have full set.
on 22 February 2014
This has proved to be an excellent 'how too book.' I found the explanations and diagrams to be better than many in more expensive volumes. The author shows not only a very clear understanding of Crewelwork but a real skill in putting the techniques across to the reader. I would certainly feel very confident in recommending this book to both the experienced and beginner in this technique.
on 29 September 2013
a very useful book to have for reference and many ideas and projects to help design and learn the skill
on 28 June 2013
This has been my first book on Crewel work. It is clearly illustrated and a very good book to start of with. It is part of a series of books from the Royal School of Needlework. I feel it has given me enough to now start doing some crewel work!
on 29 August 2014
This is one of two books that I bought to help me as I started this craft. Very good book with patterns included that you can stitch yourself , plenty of stitches and techniques included.