5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book..., 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Drawing & Painting Horses (Hardcover)
This is a really good work, one that even the most accomplished amongst us will find helpful, insightful and inspirational. Eva's formidable knowledge of equine anatomy, her appreciation of the character and sensibilities of horses of every description and her experiences of working with them are complemented by her artistic talents, the clarity of her writing and the obvious pleasure she gets from engaging with and encouraging others.

Although Eva never loses sight of the importance of good technique and a structured approach, she is anything but prescriptive. Yes, Drawing and Painting Horses can be followed as closely as a Ramsey recipe, but to do so would ignore the book's underlying message - that to get the most out of what we do, we need to keep faith with ourselves and give free rein to our individuality and ability.

This is a multi-faceted gem, one where every page sparkles and where Eva's advice transforms the canvas. Here's one example (from page 79): "...blend the brush strokes with a wash. Imagine stroking the horse and feeling the direction of the coat's growth." So I did - and the difference it made had me grinning with pleasure. Hours later, as I write this, I'm still smiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for anyone interested in horses or art, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Drawing & Painting Horses (Hardcover)
This was purchased as a birthday present for my sister who is both a keen rider and hobby painter. I can report back that she is delighted. She says the paintings and drawings capture the character and grace of the subjects and the text and 'how to' illustrations lead you logically through the various stages of creating your own horse art.

As someone whose equine career started and finished with a donkey ride on the beach 45 years ago I did have a peep before the wrapping paper went on and I too thought the book was very well designed with paintings and drawings that are inspirational and a course of instruction that will help the beginner to build up a real understanding of how to paint and draw horses. It's obvious that Eva loves her subjects and this shines through on every page. I'm very tempted to borrow the book, pick up an HB and drawing pad and have a go myself !

5.0 out of 5 stars Horses, 16 Aug 2012
R. V. Murphy "Poppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing & Painting Horses (Hardcover)
Great book Step by step features. This book is for anyone like me who has never drawn a horse before. I loved the different images large and small. I intend to do my first watercoulour of a horse. Excellent service

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Drawing & Painting Horses (Hardcover)
Bought as a surprise for Christmas for my arty daughter who had admired it when we were on a shopping trip. She is thrilled to bits with it and would recommend to anyone interested in drawing horses - experienced or beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars for my dad, 15 Dec 2012
L. johnson "l.l.j." (cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing & Painting Horses (Hardcover)
Got this book for my Dad. He makes horses with clay and he just loved it. good purchace for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 5 Aug 2013
Jackie (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing & Painting Horses (Hardcover)
The drawings are inspiring and beautiful. This book will give any artist the guidance they need to create a beautiful picture.

Drawing & Painting Horses
Drawing & Painting Horses by Eva Dutton (Hardcover - 8 Feb 2012)
17.99