4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Introduction
Good points: well illustrated, clear, written for UK readers so product/store references are relevant, some good tips.

Published on 25 Dec. 2011 by Shove Coupler

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for a hobby framer
Published on 10 Jun. 2011 by Photofan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Introduction, 25 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)

Whinges and gripes: like an awful lot of framing books, it's aimed at mounting small scale works on paper so most of it is about mountboards, glass etc. I'm interested in making frames for my own larger canvas paintings and there is not much about that, especially floating frames for deep canvases (where there's a gap round the canvas) which are almost universal for 'modern' paintings in art expos but very hard to source, even at professional framers. (I end up making the mouldings myself with two battens from a timber store, it's a lot cheaper and you can use nice wood).

But overall, the book is still a useful reference and I'm glad I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for a hobby framer, 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
I bought this book because I want to learn to make quality picture frames. Since buying the book I enrolled on a picture framing course at a local college and realise that the book does not describe some key techniques in producing professional quality frames (in particular it does not mention finishing the mitred edges using a sander or guillotine before joining). The book is well written and easy to understand, but it shows only one way of making frames and is in need of updating. I would recommend this for a hobby framer who is just starting out, but not if you want truly professional results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend., 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
Very clear and well explained. Makes the subject very clear to understand. Would happily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frames and Framing, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
Frames and Framing is an excellent practical book covering all aspects of picture framing.

Clear concise instructions by Andy Parks, an experienced framer/tutor, explain in detail how to make quality picture frames.

The book is well illustrated with superb photographs showing all the various stages in making and assembling picture frames.

Detailed attention is given to such items as mount cutting, jointing of frames and the choice of the best materials.

Sound advice on using and choosing the correct tools for the job enable the reader to make the right decisions in the process
of making picture frames.

Since applying Andy's techniques to my own works I am delighted with the results.

Brian E Barks (amateur Watercolour painter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Frames & Framing, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
As a complete newcomer to picture framing this book was superb giving a step by step introduction as to how to work with frames etc. It certainly answered all of my questions in a simple and easy to read fashion. I have managed to create a number of frames since getting the book. I would recommend this to anyone who to find out how to create frames.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book with benefits, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
I have cross stitched for 45 years and in that time I must have spent a lot of money having them professionally framed. I decided to have a go at framing myself and looked at various books on the subject. I chose this book and I am so glad I did. It didn't tell me that I needed lots of expensive equipment in fact the equipment Andy Parks suggested cost me under £50.00 as we already had a mitre saw. There are pictures galore with easy to understand instructions for the complete novice like me. Not only that but Andy Parks has a website and you can email him if you have a question. I wrote to him to make sure that I understood how to frame needlework, I had a lovely friendly reply the next day. He also runs framing workshops in Peterborough. Buying the book is not the end of your help from Andy Parks it is just the beginning. Fantastic book written by a friendly, professional framer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 12 July 2012
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
I've just received this book (only took 1 day to arrive!) and on first viewing it is a very useful book, easy to understand, obviously written by someone who knows the basics well. It is well illustrated and well presented generally. My only real disappointment with the book is that it is very basic regarding the actual making of the frame itself, giving details on how to make a frame using a hand mitre saw and with panel pins securing the corners. I would have liked to see details on other types of ways to cut the mitres such as electric saws, etc and how to use underpinning machines. I particularly liked the way the illustrations showed what pictures look like with various mounts and frame combinations, its a very useful section. All-in-all, worth it if you want to produce just the occasional frame with basic tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to picture framing, 2 April 2013
J. Preece (Newport, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
An excellent guide to a wide range of techniques for picture framing. The book looks at the tools you'll need and there is a very useful section on choosing mounting colours and frame styles to suit pictures. The author includes canvas and 3-D framing, so it's pretty comprehensive. The book is clearly laid out and designed, and the captions contain a whole host of tips and advice. The author prefers to use simpler techniques rather than bigger pieces of machinery. Picture framing is surprisingly expensive and keeping costs down is one way to get started without breaking the bank. Courses are available (the author teaches as well) and I find these the best first step, as things can get bewildering, especially when choosing mouldings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive picture framing guide and instruction, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
This must be good value for money. Step by step instructions make it easy to follow. The book covers a wide variety of mounts and framing. Picture framing and mounting is so expensive and this will help reduce the costs considerably.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Frames and Framing (Paperback)
Very helpful book, but I am not a very enthusiastic framer, so use it only occasionally.
BEB

Frames and Framing
Frames and Framing by Andy Parks (Paperback - 14 July 2009)
Used & New from: £13.02