Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 23 December 2011
I bought the Kumi Disk but was disappointed with the very vague instructions so I decided to buy this book. I was really disappointed because it is only ideal if you were using the traditional method. I struggled to understand how I could transfer this to disk in the end I gave up and returned the book.

I have since bought a booklet recommended on the disk, I have to say I found it really helpful. There are also loads of videos on you-tube to get you started.
on 9 November 2011
This is a lovely book with clear photos and diagrams. However you will have to concentrate if using a Kumihimo disk or plate as this is all about using a Marudai which does not have numbers on.Fulkl of useful info
on 14 May 2011
Having bought a kumihimo disc with very sparse instructions I wanted a small simple book to fill in the gaps. This book fitted the bill perfectly, and I am well on the way to becoming hooked on kumihimo; well illustrated, simple, with instructions for various types of braiding, and the spring binding meant it stayed at the right page as I worked. Love it!
on 8 February 2011
This is an excellent introduction to making kumihimo braids on a marudai stand. I am delighted I bought it. I had a marudai, and Roderick Owens' famous book, and one by a Japanese author, but was struggling with some of the basics. This book has clear instructions, good photos, and some great ideas to get you off to a good start. It is ring bound to open out flat when you are following the instructions.
on 4 May 2015
I like this book because the publisher has thought out how the consumer will use it while learning to braid. Rather than a bound spine there is a spiral binding which can be laid flat for easy viewing when occupied on the marudai.
It arrived promptly overnight and will keep me occupied for several weeks. I have been looking for a different form of jewelry making rather than straight silk and knotting. Braiding can be used for a tremendous amount of projects including jewelry. I shall be learning about all the different types of material I can use to achieve my projects and hopefully produce some good products that are different.
on 8 June 2012
This is a very straightforward easy to follow guide to making your own braiding using a marudai. It even shows you how to make a cheap home-made version of a marudai. Being ring binded within a hardcover makes the book easy to use while you work, (no need for weights to hold the pages down). It's well thought out and has some wonderful colour photos of finished braids, which are truly beautiful works of art. In depth in explaining threads and warps and more technical stuff in simple terms. And it accomplishes what it sets out to do, yet I feel it lacks something. It's to clinical maybe.

I bought this book at the same time as Helen Deighan's Beautiful Braids Made Easy, and of the two prefer Helens, as it's more fun. Having said that they demonstrate two different techniques for braiding. This one, as already stated, uses a marudai and the other, disks and plates. The marudai technique is more cumbersome then the easy to hold portable disks and plates, but is better for thicker, heavier braids. But the information regarding yarns and threads is valuable to disks and plates use as well.

Possibly if I had read this book first, I would have warmed to it better. I would still reccomend it to a friend who wanted to seriously get into braiding. It is a valuable book to the art.
on 23 March 2014
This book is perfect for beginners it's really in depth and shows moves in real life pictures instead of the typical dots diagram. However if you have a good understanding of Japanese braiding this book isn't for you, her earlier book 'creative kumihimo' is for you, this book is aimed for the beginner. However I do love the fact the books ring bound.
on 29 July 2012
thought that I would try something different in the crafting world, clear and precise instructions and the braids are wonderful, took a few attemps to get the tension right but then stunning designs can be created,not too difficult for children to do.Ideal for a rainy day. many thanks
on 8 December 2012
Brilliant item, easy to understand. Book very new, and explanitary.
Would encourage people to buy this item and try a new hobby, it will
come in handy with children, as they love being shown things like this
especially when there mates cannot do the same....
on 19 January 2014
Slightly disappointed that this book didn't include braiding on a foam Kumihimo disk, but the technique is the same with good clear diagrams of the different braids and warp layouts.