5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Beginners Book, 16 Jun 2012
Simon J. Fife "simonfife" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
Landscapes in Oils By David Crane.
This is an excellent book for a beginner to start with it goes through all the basics from materials to techniques to demonstrations .There are lots of details to for the demonstrations lots of clear instructions and photos rather than just the usual 4 photos and steps you find in alot of learn to books, this makes it very clear to see all the steps required along with tips as well.Loved this book so much first thing i did was to see if the artist had anymore books out so i could buy more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, read it and try!, 6 Feb 2010
Mrs. A. J. Tayler "Anthea Tayler" (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint)
David Crane has produced an excellent guide to painting in oils whether you're an established practitioner or a novice. In his book, How to Paint Landscapes in Oils, he leads the reader through the basics of which materials to use, composition, perspective and colour before embarking on the practicalities of where to start and how to build up the picture. The end result in David's case is a stunning landscape full of colour and detail but with subtleties of warmth and serenity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Landscapes in Oils by David Crane, 23 Sep 2013
Philip H. Petford (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
This is an excellent book with good information for Oil Painters.
I particularly liked the ideas for changing colour schemes and atmosphere
of a scene, and there are several demonstration pages with stage by stage
instructions.
A small book but with very useful information.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
I bought this book to gain more knowledge of technique and colour use in landscape painting. The artist really knows their subject, very clear information and beautiful paintings. Some landscape books out there are very mediocre but this one is excellent, would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
although only painted for a while this book is really good at getting you started, with good clear exercising in oil painting it's very engrossing. a good book for beginners and advanced students too

5.0 out of 5 stars good guide, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
bought this as a gift for a friend and they said it was easy to follow and informative

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas present for art enthusiast, 22 Jan 2013
Donna (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
Bought as a Christmas present for my Gran as she's started experimenting with art. Very clear and easy instructions for a first time art enthusiast. Many thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Landscapes in Oils, 22 Dec 2012
Christine O'donovan (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
This is a book that should inspire the reader to have a go at painting landscapes. I dabbled with oils and alkyds over 20 years ago. After going to acrylic painting classes I felt the urge to take out my oils paints. For a complete beginner David describes materials (and how to customise them), composition, perspective, drawing, colour, and tonal value. He gives demonstrations of three very different landscapes. The only quibble I have is that I would love to have had more step-by-step landscapes in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flower Show Viewer, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
I would recommend this book to everyone who paints in oil, whether a new starter or a long time painter.The composition of a picture is important, and I spend a long time thinking about this. My paints come out about October and I put them away in March because the garden takes up a lot of time. I also use the digital camera throughout the summer taking pictures of clouds, scenery, flowers, animals etc, and piece them together getting ideas as I go along. I have never painted outside as this does not appeal to me. My choice of paints almost matches David's, but I use a cheap plastic pallet which I throw away at the end of a season. The tear off pallets are a good idea though.The main thing I wanted to know about,was the type of paint brushes to use and this was documented throughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 11 Nov 2009
Mrs. Helen V. Churms (New Malden, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) (Paperback)
David's use of colour and light is, for me, one of the reasons why I so enjoy this book, and I would strongly recommend that people buy it whether they paint or not. Not being an artist myself I cannot really comment on David's lessons on painting in oils, except to say that they make fascinating reading. However, as a lover of art, and as the owner of three of David's originals, I would highly recommend "Landscapes in Oils". Buy it, soak up the atmosphere, the colours, the light in the pictures and enjoy what I believe to be a beautifully illustrated book. And try out his tips on how to paint landscapes. David's enthusiasm for painting really comes over when you have an opportunity to speak to him, and I believe that enthusiasm comes over in this book. What a pleasure I have found it to be and I know I will frequently be browsing in it in the future. I highly recommend "How to Paint Landscapes in Oils" to those who want to learn the lessons to be found within it and to those who just want to get to know and enjoy David's work.

Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint)
Landscapes in Oils (How to Paint) by David Crane (Paperback - 7 Nov 2009)
6.29