4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 1 Sep 2009
A. H. Ford "petiteamour" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
This is a really lovely book if you have any interest at all in Celtic art. The book is thin - 48 pages but is accompanied by a CD with all the images on it - 105 if memory serves me well. For jewellery making the images are too big as they are but could easily be reduced with a photo copier or maybe on the computer if you are PC literate - and I'm not. Although there are no projects, there are plenty of beautiful colour photographs of items where some of the designs have been used. There are no full instructions but there is a brief resume of how the piece was made. If you are into crafts, I'm sure there is enough information to make something similar if you wanted to practice before designing your own piece. Well worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars great resource, 31 May 2011
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
The beautifully illustrated Book of Kells has been a source of inspiration for numerous artists from multiple disciplines for many years. In this book, Judy Balchin presents over 100 line illustrations that are typical of the Book of Kells and can be used in many ways. Judy also explores the latter with sixteen projects. There are, however, no how-to's- simply a note on which design was used and how the project was made.

The line drawings are beautifully done and a CD also accompanies the book, making this a good resource for all artists and crafters. The designs can be reproduced at any size. This 48 page book represents great value for money. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design ideas, 8 Mar 2013
Mrs P (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
I like this book for its simplicity - it's easy to understand and comes with a free CD. Overall a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book!, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
This is another great book. The designs are clear, easy to use and easy to adapt. Another book that's going to get a lot of use!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the celtic world, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
I was in Northern Ireland when I was a young man in the National Service, we all had to do then.It completly changed my live, Here was a country next to mine which was so different it was a different world I wasnt educated enough to know about the Anglo world and the Celtic world, they where so different, I never ever had a girl friend in Britain who could catch trout with her hands I did have in Ireland. The way they could string the English language together with such dexterity facinated me it was like making words jump in diferent directions at their will I went to Dublin to see this book years ago the paintings inside the letters are wonderful,Who would have thought of it, only the most thoughtful people of that time I am old now and I think the only legasy I have is there is a different world than the one we are in, like it says in this ancient book search and you will find These celts had it I dont know if it is still there has in my youth things change

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Irish Design, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
I purchased this book so that I could use the designs in my craftwork.

The book contains some ideas with pictures of how the designs contained in the book could be used in crafted items.
Included in the book is a CD which contains all the design that are shown in outline within the text. To use the designs you have the options of either photocopying the pages in the book, or by using a computer, taking the required motif from the CD ROM. If using the computer, there is the added benefit of being able to adjust the size of the motif, more easily than on a photocopier. The outlines may either be coloured in or one that could be used like a tracing and applied to a substrate by means of graphite paper or similar.

If you like Book of Kells designs and want to use them within craft work then this is be best book I have seen for copying the outlines of the pictorial devices. On the inside back cover there are pictures of other publications of a similar type by the same publisher which would be useful to cafters who do not surf the web, and cannot find the publisher's website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of designs, 9 Jun 2010
L Thornton (South Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
I was impressed with this book, not only a collection of clear and practical designs which could be used in many different projects but also a CD included, for a very good price - a real bargain for anyone looking for celtic inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells (Paperback)
very very good and the CD is great if you want to play with the designs on your computer.

Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells
Designs Inspired by the Book of Kells by Judy Balchin (Paperback - 12 Jan 2009)
Used & New from: £57.99