Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2009
This is a lovely book and yes the finished results really do look like flowers.
I would give it 5 stars for the look of the book alone except the title implies more knit than crochet and if you do not crochet you might be disappointed, or you might try to learn!
There are 41 pages of crochet work but only 18 of knitted patterns. Also all the crochet patterns are charted but there are no charts for the knitted ones.
The most amusing patterns are the carrots and peas hidden among the flowers!
There are 20 pages of colour pictures of the flowers plus 2 of leaves and 2 of fruit and vegetables plus a few pages on techniques and equipment at the beginning and 12 pages of project ideas at the end.
Overall it is beautifully laid out, well photographed and enjoyable to use.
22 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2009
This book is absolutely BRILLIANT. (I have previously bought both Nicky Epstein's Knitted Flowers & Crochet Flowers books - but they don't come close to this beautiful book). The patterns are better - they REALLY DO LOOK LIKE THE FLOWERS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE - the layout is more attractive & the classification into skill levels for both knit & craft is really well thought out.
Another thing which is great is that Lesley classifies the wool required for each flower by colour & yarn type ('4-ply', DK wool, tapestry wool & embroidery silk) rather than by supplier & shade ref. - so you really feel that you can go rummaging in your very own wool stash to make these beautiful items, rather than having to buy new yarn.
If you are stuck about which book to buy on the subject - trust me - you won't regret buying this book!(I have already bought a copy for a friend & she loved it too)!
11 comment|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2009
Hi all,

yes this book is a visual feast, it does not fail to inspire or showcase the amazing things that can be achieved using crochet or knitting.

However, unless you are very experienced I think you, like me, may find this book a little too advanced.

In order to use it I have had to have several books aimed at all three levels balanced around to help me!

I would recommend this book- for inspiration
- if you are experienced/skilled
- as a super coffee table book.
on 6 April 2009
It's quite easy to find "made-up" flower patterns, but if you want to make something that looks like an actual flower of a particular kind this is the book you need. I'm particularly fond of the pansy. Not for the real beginner as some skill and understanding of instructions is required, but the results are well worth the effort. I think the results are better if you use a small hook and fine yarn, then they really do look like the real thing and make up into very pretty bouquets. Done with embroidery silk they also make beautiful embellishments. I would thoroughly recommend this book.
on 17 January 2009
I saw this book in my local yarn shop and couldn't resist. I am so glad I didn't resist.

There are more flowers in this book than any I have ever seen. Because the content is so specific, you get a fabulously comprehensive collection of patterns. Each beautifully made creation in the book is inspiring, with an index and recommendations on how difficult each one is.

The content is split about half and half between knitting and crochet, so it is well worth buying even if you only practise one type. There is also a section at the back with suggested projects for your creations.

I have been knitting for a couple of years, and started crochet last month. I would not rely on the book to provide an absolute beginner's introduction to either craft, but as a follow on book for someone looking for inspiration, this is second to none.

For 10.99, this was exceptionally good value, with 100 unique designs. I will definitely look for more books by this author.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2012
Well, I love all the pics in this book but I have to say the authors instructions is one of the most confusing I have ever read, Im thinking this book is for the very experienced crocheter that knows how to wing it if unclear on the written instructions. I have no problems with crochet flowers in other books, I can even crochet of japanese crochet patterns but Lesley just has me baffled with her instructions. I feel a proper diagram/instruction page more indepth at back of book would have been a great help. Its actually stopped me buying anymore of her books.
on 16 April 2009
The flowers in this book are the best I've seen. Really beautiful.
The instructions are easy to follow, although not reccommended for a complete beginner. They are great quick, easy and portable projects.
The instructions are deliberately are vague about yarn and needle/hook size which enables you to just get out what wool or threads you have to hand.........no need to worry about tension, you'll just get bigger or smaller flowers.
There is a fairly even mix of crochet and knit patterns( the crochet patterns take up more pages mainly because of the charts)
There is a beautiful gallery of designs. My criticism is that it doesn't say in the gallery whether the design is knitted or crocheted.There are crocheted and knitted roses, leaves, butterflies, chrysanthemums and sunflowers but most flower designs have either knitted or crochet instructions, not both.
I bought the book because I wanted to crochet but fell in love with some of the knitted designs and have done both
Don't buy the book for the projects (the only disappointing part of the book).........with one exception "winter scarf" every reader will think of better ideas.
on 10 September 2009
I am a complete beginner at crochet and after a lesson decided to buy this book. Other reviews suggested it might not be good for beginnners but I wanted something that I could actually achieve. In fact I've found it great. It's got me practising my knitting and crocheting techniques as I know that with a little practice I'll actually have something to show for it - my childhood knitting experiences were always despairing because I could never produce anything.
It's a beautiful book - well laid out and illustrated and the instructions are pretty clear although I have to go over things and refer back but this is not too hard because the layout is easy.
The diagrams of crochet are beyond me (it's only been a week though!). I can usually work out the rest but am also relying on my local knittng SOS surgery to help explain things. So if you have somewhere or someone who can help when you get caught up then go for it!
on 8 February 2009
This is a beautiful book. Well illustrated with both written and schematic diagrams (for the crochet ones). The flowers are gorgeous I can't wait to make some. The cover gives you a good idea of what is inside Can't praise it enough! Get it!
on 3 December 2010
This book is laid out really well and has a good range of beautiful flowers and other quirky little designs. The downside is the instructions, they're not very clear, and the diagrams don't correspond with the written instructions all that well. it has instructions on how to do a couple of stitches and then abruptly stops. Therefore if you're a beginner I'd advise practising your stitches before buying this book!