Format: Spiral-boundChange

on 28 July 2008
This is advertised as a paperback, however when mine came it was a hardback in a ring binder. As a ringbinder it means that you can open the booka nd leave it open at the page you are looking at. There are lots of tips from using washes to how to paint a window. The tips are brief and don't go into lots of detail so if you want a lesson, this book is not for you. However, if you have some of the basics already then this book will help you if you are a little stuck. It is a handy size and can quite easily be store in a handbag/small bag - great if you are carrying it around to a class or painting out of doors.

I must admit I am a little biased as I love Terry Harrison's work, just the sort of things I like to paint. Give this a go, if you want some quick handy advice, it is not expensive and worth the money.
22 comments48 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2008
Best water colour aide in my collection. I refer to it as my water colour 'Bible'. Well set out, easily left open in front of your work, full of ideas and tips and, at this time of year, ideal for friends. I am recommending it at the Splash Art classes I attend.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2010
There are numerous publications in this field , and most offer a wide range of tips and tricks to advise both beginners and the more advanced artist.I have found that this particular book has the "edge" over many of the others !
The layout of the book and the clear and detailed tips that the author presents ....is so easy to follow and is a real help for those just starting out with watercolours ,and those who have reached a higher level on the "learning curve" .

The advice and explanations of the many techniques that abound in this book are so well presented , that anyone can attempt them by following the easily understood pictorial and textual instructions within the pages ! Everyone has their own idea of how useful an instruction manual may , or may not be , but I have found Terry's book invaluable. A little practice on some of the tips regarding painting roofs and brickwork , soon had me improving my handling of this part of my paintings to a much improved standard !
As some other reviewers have mentioned....the chapter on brush types is very valuable too ! All in all .....a brilliant book for anyone interested in watercolour technique ....and well worth a place on anyone's bookshelf!
on 11 May 2010
This is a great little book, packed with really useful tips. It's the one I seem to use more than any other as the tips are presented in a very straightforward way with no fussing around. The artist seems to be genuinely interested in guiding learners to becoming competent artists and not just projecting his own work and views on painting as some artist-authors seem to.
on 3 July 2010
As an amateur watercolourist I wish I had heard of this little book as soon as it was published because it would have saved me the many £s I have spent on other peoples' books covering individual topics which Terry has more succinctly covered in this one. I love everything about it! I think he is very generous in sharing his brilliant tips with us and making painting seem so easy. I can't wait to work on them.
on 15 October 2010
An excellent book that is both easy to use and informative. Ideal for the beginner or the more practised painter alike. It has certainly taken my own painting up a level, renewing my enthusiasm by helping me to 'fix' ongoing mistakes and examples of poor technique that kept appearing in my work. Use it for ideas or problem-solving. The spiral binding makes it easy to keep the book open next to you for reference, as you're trying out the techniques for yourself: other publishers of similar books take note.
on 2 May 2009
I wanted this book after I saw a "fellow art classer" use the book. Its a great easy reference for those doing a beginners painting and drawing class and touching on watercolour. Imagine I will continue to refer to it as time goes on.
on 9 June 2011
This book is excellent for an absolute beginner in watercolour such as me. It gives general principles, ranging from how to choose supplies, through basic principles of how to use water and to what effect, to detailed and clearly illustrated step by step mini-tutorials on how to paint water, doors, walls, trees, skies etc.

It's format (approxiamtely A5 size) allows me to carry it wherever I go in order to refer to whenever I am in a quandery about how to paint something.

Invaluable! the best of quite a number of books I bought on the subject! Highly recommended!
on 18 July 2011
Bought as a present - the recipient is delighted. Neat small book packed with excellent ideas and tips. I'll probably ask for it for my birthday.
on 7 March 2010
I found many of the tips in the book very useful, especially on mixing colours and wet on wet but it would have been nice , as a beginner, if there had been a section of really basic, simple paintings for a novice to get started on. They could then progress to the more complex pictures using the tips and techniques in the book.