4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
Published on 9 Jun 2008 by Andrea Mars

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the product description carefully!
I'd like to say immediately that the completed floral panels in this book are beautiful - the book is a worthwhile "keeper" for that alone!

Published on 7 Jun 2008 by Bookfriend

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 9 Jun 2008
Andrea Mars (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I love this series of books. However I do find this one a bit more complex. Having said that I am not very good with flowers and having the tracings here have helped. Like the other review it is often difficult to get the same shade/mix of colour that the author uses. I also found that the descriptions were sometimes misleading when trying to do the shading of the petals. Achievement was a bit hit and miss. I don't think this one is one for the complete beginner. It would be useful to have some knowledge of watercolour painting prior to starting, but having said that if you are scared of starting then give this a go - I'm sure if you don't mind your painting having your slant on it, then you will be pleased with the results.

And of course you do need your own materials beforehand. Enjoy...

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the product description carefully!, 7 Jun 2008
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)

The product description needs to be underlined though, especially for the absolute novice, for the "ready to paint" statement is misleading. Some work is required before the painting starts. A decent watercolour pad is an extra, for example, and the design is then traced onto the paper by the novice themselves. After that, it's up to the learner to copy the colours (with their own paints, of course) from the book, so the effect may be different in actual practise, for although the author states the colours she uses herself, she doesn't actually give the brand name she uses, and cheaper brands will produce a different shade.

For myself, I find the constant referral needed from instructions to separate pad disconcerting - it breaks the concentration! Maybe a better idea for the "L" plate holder would be smaller finished illustrations provided with a pre-printed outline beside or below, on the same page? Once confidence is gained, a couple of tracing illustrations could be at the back of the book, with relevant guidance. - ?

This is only my view of course, and we're all interesting people due to our differences!

It's not quite as simple as a first quick scan of the description suggests - so be aware of that, fellow greenhorns!

5.0 out of 5 stars Watercolour Flowers, 18 Sep 2009
S. C. Wooldridge (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I decided to try this book to enable me to get out of my comfort zone (painting landscapes and buildings). I have always struggled with drawing flowers but this book has the tracings for the flowers and so you can concentrate on the actual painting. What impressed me the most was the fact that there were A3 and A4 size tracings all of which are re-usable. this means you can paint the picture of say roses and then paint it again using different colours. Excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watercolour Flowers, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I took up painting again when my husband became ill and I became a full time carer. This book was soo easy to follow, clear precise instructions on how to get the best out of your painting, from backgrounds to shading, brilliant for beginners.
There are also loads of stencils included which is good if you are not great at freehand drawing.
I now have one of my paintings (Poppies) proudly hanging on my lounge wall.
Would definately recommend anyone to have a go with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly., 6 July 2009
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I wanted to paint and don't have time for classes, this series of books is amazing. I have produced about 7-8 really good pictures at my first attempt. The instructions are really clear and easy to follow. It would help if the exact brand of paint used was stated as I found tracking down "Quinacridone Gold" a bit difficult (W&N Artist Colours) and achieving the result with the wrong colour would be difficult (alternatives would also be useful). That said I've been really chuffed with my results. Thank you Wendy Tait and Search Press.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review Watercolour Flowers by Wendy Tait, 20 Feb 2009
Mrs. Jennifer S. Hall (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I bought this book to use in conjunction with my art classes, botanical painting and drawing.
The book is well presented with a thorough detailed listing of all equipment and paint colours necessary.

The tutorials are easy to follow and very well detailed.

I would recommend this book to all floral artisits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good book for beginners, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
As I am a beginner, I had no confidence in what I was doing in water colour painting.

I have bought numerous books on water colour painting and each book gives you a differant slant on the subject.

Wendy's book is based on doing rather then just reading, I like her style and its given me the confidence to go further.

Be patient with yourself and keep on practicing, I have tried 3 of her examples and when I showed it to my family and partner, they could not believe it.
I took all the credit of course!!
Wendy's book is good fun and its challenging.
If it wasnt challenging then how would you learn?

5.0 out of 5 stars water colour flowers, 29 May 2009
Mrs. F. F. Box "fran" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
this book is wonderful it allows me to paint flowers using the already traced imiges of the flowers
i have never been able to paint flowers befor but i have done my first painting and quite pleased with it
best wishes
frances

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use - watercolour flowers, 18 April 2009
Mrs. C. A. Price "Carol" (Gillingham, Kent, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I have now done 3 out of the 5 paintings in this book and have been really pleased with the results. Having the tracings really helps save time and lets you get on with painting. One of my results hangs proudly on my wall. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) (Paperback)
I love this book, it has enabled me to produce several paintings I'm quite proud of. I'm not good at drawing so the tracings helped me get straight to the interesting bit! I found her step by step guides extremely helpful, and there are lots of photographs of the different stages which helps a lot. Even though I didn't have all the colours she used I could still follow her instructions and produce good paintings. She has given me a lot of confidence to continue painting flowers, which I had thought were too difficult for me to do until I used this book!

Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint)
Watercolour Flowers (Ready to Paint) by Wendy Tait (Paperback - 4 Feb 2008)
6.29