4.0 out of 5 stars sock it to me
Published on 5 Aug 2008 by Da Rindil

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed - but still hopefuly
Published on 15 Jun 2008 by C. Saunders

4.0 out of 5 stars sock it to me, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Easy Knitted Socks: Fun and Fashionable Designs for the Novice Knitter (Paperback)
I recently bought a pair of handmade socks as a pressie for a relative - the recipient was thrilled with them and I thought to myself - why don't I try to make my own handknitted socks? - I bought this book only very recently and have just started to knit my first sock - Ms Trotmans book has very good patterns and instructions - and I was inspired to go out buy the needles and get cracking - I found that although the instructions were quite simple I still managed to 'get stuck' and resorted to going on line to look at other patterns and instructions - If I have a criticism it is that I would have preferred for Ms Trotman not to have included the baby bootees - as far as I am concerned they don't count as socks but that is a minor criticism. Easy knitted socks is a worthwhile purchase for novice sock knitters.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed - but still hopefuly, 15 Jun 2008
C. Saunders (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have only tried one pattern in this book - the basic tubular socks - after learning how to knit socks a while back. I seem to have hit a major glitch with the pattern in that it totally doesn't make sense. I'd consider myself an intermediate knitter and I can't figure out the problem, and neither can my mother who has been knitting for 40 years+!!! I can't vouch for the other patterns. Some of them are a little crazy for my taste so I'd say you'd probably be better off surfing the net for one of the free sock patterns, of which there are hundreds floating around, before spending money on this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Okay not Great, 20 Sep 2008
This book is okay but not enough plain socks, also don't give different sizes in the patterns out of the whole book i would say there would only be a couple i would knit I have only just done my first pair of socks so was looking for a very simple book which would help this is not it i found better & easier patterns for free on the internet this may be a better book when i learned more but certainly won't be one i will pick up to do my next few pairs of socks

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so easy, 5 Jan 2011
I bought this book hoping that it would offer options for various patterns using dpns or circular needles, but it has too many patterns using the two needle method that are not 'easy' options but quite complicated patterns. Most of the patterns in there are not really useful - baby bootees and felted slippers with zips.... A better option would be Favorite Socks by Ann Budd and Anne Merrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy knitted socks - it's true!, 22 May 2012
As a novice knitter, when I said I wanted to knit socks the reaction was generally 'Hah - good luck with that!'

But with this book it really does make it easy. The great thing about it is that it doesn't focus on just one method of making socks - there are patterns for two needles, four needles, knitting in the round, and even felting, so you can start with whatever you feel comfortable with and branch out as your confidence grows.

There's a range from baby bootees to adult socks and men's socks, in a variety of styles. I think it's impossible to like ALL the patterns in one book, but there's such a range here that you're bound to like some of them. I have knitted the baby bootees and two different types of lacy adult bedsocks, all of which have been loved by the people I gave them to.

The patterns are UK and well written and laid out - there are even diagrams/pictures of the crucial stages so you can see if you're getting it right as you go along, rather than just pictures of the finished product.

All in all, a top book for beginning knitting socks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 14 Mar 2010
S. Wilkinson "Stef" (UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant book, lots of different patterns and working there way up from easy to much harder.
May be a little tricky for a brand new knitter to get used to all the jargon but it does explain quite a lot of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great patterns/Ideas, 1 Feb 2010
Avid Reader "DMP" (North Yorkshire, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This is a great book - nice size, lots of patterns and ideas for everyone from the novice to the experienced knitter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doubtful designs, 11 Aug 2009
I borrowed this from the library, enticed by the cover.

However I was disappointed by the actual patterns inside. They were all pretty ugly !

There is a good section on "Tools, Materials & Techniques" which might be useful for a novice, but these days you can just look on the internet for tutorials- especially for videos if you are unsure about certain stitches.

I'm not really sure how to rate this book- maybe I should give it Zero because it failed to inspire me to make any of the patterns ? Therefore I'll give it an overall 2 out of 5, mainly for the Techniques section.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good service overall, 14 Feb 2011
the book is very clear and it has lots of pictures, easy-to-follow instructions. Very good if you are starting in knitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars socks galore, 7 May 2010
Tipsypips (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book has patterns for two needles and four needle socks and that is one of the reasons I purchased the book having seen a review in a knitting magazine

Easy Knitted Socks: Fun and Fashionable Designs for the Novice Knitter