5.0 out of 5 stars Good instructions and lovely designs
Published on 4 Sept. 2006 by H. Ludlow

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy for THIS beader as the other reviewers found!
Firstly, I must say I differ from the majority of reviewers who talk about how easy it is to follow Burnham's designs, and who state this is a book for the BEGINNING as well as intermediate beader.

Published on 25 Oct. 2009 by Lady Fancifull

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good instructions and lovely designs, 4 Sept. 2006
H. Ludlow (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This is possibly the best beaded jewellery book that I have purchased. The designs are very inspiring with some of the best instructional drawings. The drawings show clearly where the thread needs to go, and there are actual size pictures of the beads used in each project. The book contains projects that beginners can try, as well as more complicated designs for more advanced beaders. I would highly recommend this book, especially for beginners or those not so familiar with the stitches used in most designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 7 Aug. 2007
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
The best instructions I have ever seen - this is how it should always be done. Crystal clear diagrams, and gorgeous photographs of the various projects will inspire you whatever level you are at. The section on stitches and techniques at the back is excellent, and will remove any guesswork leaving you free to be creative.
I was a beginner starting this book, and have improved very quickly to a level where I feel comfortable "doing my own thing" with the knowledge and experience I've acquired.
A word of warning to all beaders though, you WILL spend all your spare money on beads to make beautiful jewellery!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gorgeous book!, 25 Feb. 2008
Debbie King (Durham City, Co Durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
I am new to making beaded jewellery and this book just makes your fingers itch to get started! The designs are gorgeous and there is something for every level. Detailed 'how to' instructions are in the back of the book and each project lists what is required and gives a list of suppliers in the back. I have already ordered the beads I need to complete one of the projects but I will be making many more of these designs. Recommended for beginners or for more accomplished beaders.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy for THIS beader as the other reviewers found!, 25 Oct. 2009
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)

Clearly, I'm challenged, because I DIDN'T always find Burnham that easy to follow and yes, I'm a very beginning beader, so in theory this should have been splendid for me, as I'm attempting to teach myself purely from books

As an example, I really, really struggled with what Burnham meant in her instructions for right angle weave. She mentions 'passing through the 2 next beads along' but firstly the stitch is not an 'along' (row) at this stage, and secondly the diagram shows the needle going through the adjacent stitch.

So I've given up on RAW till a better explanation in another book. And sadly, that isn't the 'Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques', which I instantly went to, and failed to decipher - because that too is co-authored by Burnham and she copies from one book to another

Another design I was really keen on following I just couldn't understand at all, from the diagram - so much for the clear instructions.(Choker in textured brick stitch) She blithely instructs the beader to follow an instruction based on 'the core row' . However, from the diagram ONLY of the completed project I have no way of working out which that was!!!! Some other books show stages in a construction; Burnham doesn't, or only in the back section where she shows the individual stitches. Instead, she merely shows a photograph, and then a line diagram of the individual completed projects. This real beginner needed some visual help to get from steps in the construction to the end

Though I liked a lot of the designs, and can see how I may adapt them in terms of colours, shapes and textures of bead etc, I do think her style is a little 'same-y'

And, this is purely bead snobbism rearing its ugly head, she does seem to use acrylics (from the photos) quite a lot, and has a prediliction for acrylic hearts and stars. I personally think they often spoil a piece from really looking 'quality' and don't like the weight (or lack of weight, rather) in acrylics. But this is very minor, as its easy to find different sorts of beads as accents or endings.

What I DO like, very much, is her little 'Bead store' box, with life sized diagrams, so you can measure your own intended bead to make sure you have the sizing you need for the project, something VERY useful for the new beader who may not yet be quite sure of the size of the seed bead, as certainly MY beadstores don't state the sizes

And as for the RAW......I finally have got to grips with it thanks to Carol Huber Cypher - Mastering Beadwork, A Comprehensive Guide to Off Loom techniques.

CHC is able to explain to the level THIS beader needs; I think Burnham is several steps ahead of a real beginner. Or I just need more help in translation.

I NOW see what Burnham meant in her description, and it seems clear - but only after a much much better verbal (and pictorial) version from Huber Cypher

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Variety of Designs, 7 Sept. 2010
Ann H (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This book is crammed with design ideas, from the simple to the more exotic.
Each design has a detailed needs list, with a clear photograph, line drawing and written instuctions for the finished piece.
Towards the rear of the book there is a Basic Techniques section and a list of suppliers.
The simple designs are lovely and are easy enough to follow and can be made by the complete beginner. There are some gorgeous more advanced designs which require the maker to use their own imagination and creativity to achieve the finished piece of jewellery from the basic instructions - more detailed instructions to finish these would be helpful. (Therefore only 4 stars rather than 5 stars).
So I suggest start with the simple ones and graduated to the more complicated ones.
Still it's a good book, and good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs, 20 April 2009
U. Elliott "ula bookworm" (Co. Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for the beginning or intermediate beader. The designs are very pretty and the instructions are straight-forward. Stephanie provides project designs and instructions for craft magazines and also sells kits so she knows how to present clear instructions. There is also a useful list of suppliers at the back of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book that gives hours of pleasure, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This book is for all levels of beaders. Gives ideas to create your own ideas and colours after making some of the necklaces. A book you will not be disappointed in unlike others that I have seen. I got my library to get it in for me to see, came home & purchased straight away. Other books may come & go but this will never leave my bookcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This is a great book for beginners and more experienced beaders alike. The instructions are very clear and there are exact material requirements for each project. The illustrations are great and make the projects easy to follow. A great section at the back of the book gives basic technique instructions. Overall well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Variety, 9 April 2010
Ms. W. M. Elie (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This book has a variety of designs and styles to make and inspire from. There is something for everyone. I recommend this book to have in your collection. The instructions are so so, but not too difficult. You will never be bored with this book and you can make jewellery to suit any occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: 100 Beaded Jewellery Designs (Paperback)
This book is a must have for different ideas with smaller beads. It has given me loads of ideas, tricks and inspiration.
Recommended to all beaders whether just beginning of intermediate makers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

100 Beaded Jewellery Designs
100 Beaded Jewellery Designs by Stephanie Burnham (Paperback - 30 May 2006)