on 8 August 1999
Having just started basket making, I was lent this book, and it has encouraged me to prune my plants more often, especially with an eye to using the materials in making a basket. This adds a twofold interest to your gardening and walks along country lanes. If you have never made a basket do read this easy guide and have a "go"
0Comment48 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2005
I have seen books on basket making before, and they have been difficult to follow and uninspiring. Susie Vaughan's baskets are beautiful and interesting, as she carefully picks her materials to make decorative as well as practical containers. The instructions are all illustrated with clear photographs of real baskets, and I find this so much easier to follow than sketches. A great book, you'll be inspired!
0Comment43 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2010
I bought this book a few weeks ago because there are a lot of willow trees and hedgerows in my area that I pass regularly when I walk our dog. I kept meaning to find ways of utilising these natural materials in a practical way and being in love with cottage crafts, I thought basket-making would fit the bill. So I signed myself up for a local basket-making workshop and bought this book to prime myself beforehand. Well, the course was good, but this book was better.

Each stage in the basket-making process is clearly explained, step-by-step with diagrams. You can take your time practicing each step without being rushed on a course as I was. The author encourages you to look at the natural materials available to you in your environment as well as plant materials that you can grow in your own garden and tells you exactly what the essential tools are to get you started: a pair of secateurs and a screwdriver or knitting needle. That's it!

The unusual and original baskets that one can create after acquainting oneself with the simple techniques in this book are the stuff of heirlooms. I particularly like the way the author weavers cones, leaves of ivy and bay and oak apples into the basket.

I am now looking at my rather overgrown Rosemary bush and whip-like Wisteria stems with various baskets in mind, whereas ordinarily the prunings would have ended up in the compost bins.
on 5 September 2008
inspires you to give it a go and very good explaination and digrams. With this book and a pair of secateurs, youll be able to make baskets. Its written with the total novice in mind and shows that you can collect all the materials for free from hedgerows and gardens. Discussion of the relative merits of various weaving woods and various techniques too.
on 19 October 2008
Handmade Baskets (Paperback) by Susie Vaughan is a must have book, but watch out, it is the same book as 'Handmade Baskets from nature's colourful materials' (Paperback) by Susie Vaughan, also published by Search Press Ltd - Look at them both on the Look Inside facility.
Buy one or the other, but not both.
Happy basketmaking!
0Comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2009
This is an excellent book for those beginning basket making. It has clear pictures and illustrations. I like using fresh material gathered from the hedgerow and the suggestions made about gathering are excellent. I have found it a very useful addition to my craft library.
on 24 January 2011
I bought this book immediately after attending a basket making course, as I wanted to make baskets at home from local materials. It was a huge help and confidence booster. Clear photos and diagrams. Step by step instructions for the beginner and lots of info on gathering hedgerow materials.

I really rate this book (under whatever title!) for beginners.

The book also includes a few more advanced ideas and photos to whet the appetite, but I felt I needed another book or a further course to give me confidence to explore the craft.
on 4 June 2010
A generally well laid out book, with lots of good step-by-step photos. However it does launch in too quickly by not explaining some of the terminology, and not explaining others until right at the end of the book. I feel a lot more time should have been taken to explain the basic terminology right at the beginning, as I had to read many of the sections several times before I understood them.

The baskets described are 'hedgerow' baskets, made from foraged materials, although it does also discuss farmed willow and home-grown materials. Be aware that apart from the farmed willow, the materials are only available in winter, once the sap is down. So if you buy this at another time of year, then be prepared for a wait before you can practice yourself. For this reason I haven't been able to try the techniques yet, but I think I now understand the process, and am keen to have a go.

I bought this book as I'd done a bit of willow work in the past, but had not attempted a basket. I'll definitely be having ago once the materials become available. I would recommend this book as a companion to another book, but can't recommend it on its own.
on 28 November 2010
As a relative beginner to basket making I was searching for a book to remind me of the little tips and finishes that can make a basket become out of the ordinary. This book is that very oracle. It is easy to follow and has some wonderful ideas for baskets that I haven't yet the courage to tackle. I'm about to order my second copy to keep clean, because the first copy is now as mucky as my hands!!
on 30 March 2010
Was pleased with this book. It enabled me to finish a basket practically unassisted. There are beautiful illustrations of unusual plants that you could use to weave and examples of some very original looking baskets. She gives clear instructions and drawings on weaving a simple enough design. I would have liked more about the construction of the really unusual ones.