5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques
I seem to remember reading a review that said this book was confusing & not very clear. I find it easy to understand and very informative. It takes you from the first steps of crocheting, explaining each stitch in detail, right to the more complicated things, so you should be able to follow a full pattern quite easily. Recommended.
Published on 26 Feb 2009 by C. L. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Breadth but not much depth. . .
I agree with rantinghousewife: this is a nice book for beginners, but doesn't offer much for the experienced crocheter. I feel that to call it an encyclopedia is rather overstating the case -- "Guide" or "Compendium" would be more accurate, as there's breadth here but very little depth.
Published on 18 Oct 2008 by a_nightowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques, 26 Feb 2009
C. L. Wright (Burbage, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on Crochet for beginners & anyone with experienced, 14 Feb 2007
Mr. P. Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
As a beginner to knitting, I wanted to try crochet as well. Having read the encyclopedia of knitting book, and finding it a brilliant book, I decided to take a gamble and buy this encyclopedia of crochet book in the hope it would be as good. I was not dissapointed.

Chapter 1 covers basic skills, giving easy to follow instructions with lots of colour photographs.

Chapter 2 covers techniques and stitches, and covers a lot of variety. E.g. shell stitches, bobbles, popcorns, puff stitches, loop stitches, lace, chevrons, tubular crochet, circular motifs, hexagons, cords, etc. Most start with a step by step guide to the stitch, with colour illustrations, and then gives a row by row instruction, to at least one example of each.

Chapter 3 covers projects for you to try, covering a scarf, bags, pillow etc.

Finally chapter 4 gives a gallery of garments and accessories to inspire you, as well as a glossary and a list of suppliers.

N.B. A word of warning to beginners. In the basic skills section, for the half treble crocket stitch, step 2 reads "Draw the yarn through the chain, leaving three loops on the hook." This should be re-written as "wrap the yarn over the hook and draw it through the first loop, leaving three loops on the hook." This also needs changing in the 1st step in the treble crochet stitch. Hence the drop to 4 stars.

Overall an excellent book and worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners, 9 May 2007
S. Alleman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
As a complete newbie to crochet, I brought two 'beginner books'. I then found myself having to cross-reference between the two as I found that they were not 100% clear on their own. But then I got this book and was completely thrilled. It covers everything that you need to know as a beginner plus more. It shows all different types of stitch and gives, in my opinion, clear advice, both written and visual. I can't comment on how it would be viewed by the more experienced but for people starting out in crochet then I would recommend this book

3.0 out of 5 stars Breadth but not much depth. . ., 18 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
Basic techniques are nicely shown but there's no information on better or more advanced methods, such as using foundation stitches instead of a starting chain, or the adjustable ring method of working in the round.
The section on seams and joining I thought very disappointing and sketchy, advocating less-than-optimum methods, and there aren't any tips on how to overcome common problems, such as the "hole" at the start of treble crochet rows (visible in the pictures), or what to do if your filet grid isn't square.
On the plus side, the book is very nicely produced and has good, clear pictures. For a new crocheter, or someone who wants to learn, it's a good overview, showing the huge variety of effects crochet can produce, but if you've moved beyond the basics, this book is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever!, 21 July 2010
Aria (Rhodes Island, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
I have been crocheting for many years but I lack certain techniques e.g. buttonholes on cardigans or crocheting with beads.I bought other books but the instructions were not clear or I didn't understand them.I found The Encyclopedia of Crochet to be the best crochet book I've ever had.Firstly it has simple & easy instructions & secondly it is fully illustrated(so if I'm not sure about something then the picture helps!).I am glad I bought this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars "And how do they do that?", 2 Feb 2009
June Hay (Isle of Wight UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
Ever see a knitted or crochet item in the shops and wondered how they got the finish - buy this very interesting and useful book and all will be revealed. Not only for advanced crochet workers but me a modest beginner could also master some techniques. Worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques by Jan Eaton, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
Firstly I would like to say I purchased this book as a present for my wife Eileen,so the following are her views.
I had borrowed the book from the Library so many times my husband bought me a copy.I have been crocheting over
30 years,mainly learning by trial and error.I wish I had the book at the beginning,it is so easy to follow from
basic to more advanced stitches.Every time I open the book I learn something new,it is just magical and I would
highly recommend it to beginners and the more advanced. Eileen Barlow

5.0 out of 5 stars An encyclopedia of possibilities, 16 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
After not doing very well with knitting my mum suggested I try to crochet. I didn't get on with the first book I tried. So after a look around I bought this book. All I can say is wow. I learnt to chrochet with this book in a matter of weeks and have since vastly improved my own technique.

The possibilities with this book are endless I have just planned a blanket for my 4 week old niece using the treble crochet chevron pattern and will be making it for her as a gift for christmas. The projects towards the back of the book are lovely I have already made the fan lace scarf for my mum. This book has taught me the basics and now I know them I can create my own patterns and projects with ease.

One useful aspect of this book is the stitch conversion e.g a double crochet in the UK would be a single crochet in america, a half treble here would be a half double in america and so on.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn to crochet or perhaps people that maybe haven't crocheted in a long time and want a refresher of the basics. A great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crocheting, 4 April 2010
P. James (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
The last time I done crotcheting it was over 20 years ago and looking back at the journals I used then they were very descriptive but were now out of date and contained very limited projects.

This book is excellent if you want to refresh your skills or you are a beginner, good clear examples that allows you to practise and then progress to a project of your choice.

It would have been good to be able to view the samples of the completed projects so as to get an idea if they were suitable for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, detailed and inspiring., 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (Paperback)
The book covers a variety of crochet stiches, all of which are explained clearly and supported with step-by-step pictures to guide the reader through creating the stitch. The instructions begin from first principles, showing how to make a foundation chain to begin a piece, through to piecing individual crochet shapes together and finishing to create a completed piece. There are also instructions about adding beads and sequins, surface crochet, and creating cords and flowers.

The projects are varied and most are quite nice. However there are not many, and include the type of thing you can find elsewhere (for example, a baby afghan, a bag, and a scarf), so if you are interested in patterns for specific projects, there are better books.

I particularly enjoyed the gallery section, which showcases other people's work. There are some very interesting and inspiring pieces, which motivated me to think about creating my own patterns; something I have never felt capable of before.

Overall, the strongest section is, as you would expect, the section covering technique. I found it clear, well illustrated and easy to follow.

ARRAY(0xb4d95648)

The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques
The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques by Jan Eaton (Paperback - 21 Jun 2006)
Used & New from: 8.48