5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful tips and advice.
I have three of these 'bibles' now and find them all very good. There are plenty of illustrations and many artists tips...things which may have taken them a long time to discover, you can use right from the start. It really inspired me to get going in my own way, not following any one particular artist's style, as many such books advise.
Published on 7 Feb. 2008 by Patience

3.0 out of 5 stars the Oil Painter's bible
The book is well laid out and having a spiral binder would be usefull to use, however I was very disappointed as nearly all the content I had already read in The Encyclopedia of Oil Painting Technique by Jeremy Galton, even the exercises were the same,who was copying who? If you have one don't bother with the other one!
Published on 30 Jan. 2008 by F. J. Cole

3.0 out of 5 stars the Oil Painter's bible, 30 Jan. 2008
F. J. Cole (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Oil Painter's Bible: The Essential Reference for the Practicing Artist (Hardcover)

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!, 26 April 2011
B. Smith "adibri" (uk) - See all my reviews
Having painted a few paintings already I was looking forward to this book. I am keen to expand my range of techniques but I was really disappointed when the book only seemed to show one style of painting. In every example the artists have basically mixed the paint and not taken too much time putting it on the canvas. The same style for every example eg landscape, still life, buildings and portraits. I wanted some ideas on how to paint the reflections of water for example, or realistic looking trees. Even the section on portraits was only three paragraphs with a "cartoon" example. If you're looking for a "how to" book then this is not the one. This book only shows examples of the author's style of painting. I did not like the spiral bound aswell!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Jun. 2012
T. Denniss (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this together with the Encyclopaedia of Oil Painting from the same supplier (the publisher)and as other reviewers have mentioned the content is virtually the same but each book is listed as being by a different author. This is a recent trend in book-selling which is becoming more common since it began with the publication of Sarum,a book that was released with 2 different covers thereby misleading the public into buying 2 copies of the same book, thinking they were different novels. At least these books are laid out differently and although the wording and illustrations are the same the items appear in a different order and are under different headings! The book itself would be worth 5 stars but in view of what I have said I can only give it 1 which reflects the percentage of new content in its pages. This was a marketplace purchase and is, of course, no reflection on Amazon's service which in my experience has always been first class!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful tips and advice., 7 Feb. 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars A great find., 3 Sept. 2009
Mr. D. West "Brixlad" (Devon) - See all my reviews
I have just started painting and have looked at quite a few books on the subject. I found really helpful. It may not contain everything (then what book does?) but it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introduction Manual, 19 April 2015
Sometimes gruntled (Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am a beginner and I bought this book as a reference and introduction to all the aspects of oil painting.
The book is divided into 4 sections: Materials; Colour: Techniques and Subjects.
The chapters within these sections are brief, but potential buyers should be aware that it is
quite a small book: 180 pages, size 6" by 8".
Calling it a " bible " is perhaps overstating it.

Buyers should also be aware that it does state on the contents page that parts have previously been
published in " The Encyclopedia of Oil Painting Techniques", "100 Great Oil Painting Tips", and
" The Oil Painters Pocket Palette " ( this last title is maybe a more accurate title).
I can understand some annoyance if you've already got these books and expected something different

The book is well made and the content clear and well laid out.
The reproductions of paintings within, though small are pleasing to the eye.
I've actually used it whilst painting,and the spiral-bound version is great for this - and you can easily wipe off any splatter!

Overall I think it's a great introduction to the broad subject of oil painting for the novice artist.
And I got it second-hand for a great low price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - as far as it goes., 13 Jun. 2010
John Wilkins (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Good quality, well produced and illustrated but even for a beginner like me this book is scant and superficial on content. For the more experienced artist it would be totally uninformative.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good all rounder, 23 Nov. 2011
I bought this book 18 months ago and have found it to be worth its weight in gold. It has everything the amateur artist could need for getting started. The only criticism I have is the brevity of the explanations which I felt could be in slightly more detail,(but perhaps that,s just me being a bit picky). I refer to it on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oil Painters Bible, 15 Jun. 2013
Excellent book. If you are starting oil painting and find getting the right colour this is nthe best book I have found I hasve made great progress with my painting thanks to this book.Highly recommended for beginers and more advanced.
Brilliant buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 3 April 2012
The book is well laid-out and very useful for the beginner.
It's attempt of tutorials,however, did not work for me at all but maybe it is because I really am a completely beginner.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

The Oil Painter's Bible: The Essential Reference for the Practicing Artist