5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sea techniques

Published 11 months ago by Mrs. S. J. Dove

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sea techniques, 13 Oct 2007
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
Roy does a basic overview of materials and a very useful guide to starter palette colours. He mentions avoiding Viridian as its a very difficult colour to work with - something I've found from personal experience. When discussing colour and tone he shows a painting of his which has poor use of tone - and thats as good to see as a "good" picture - we can all learn from others mistakes.

the book expands onto tonal under painting and some basic techniques of painting rocks and beaches which are very clearly explained. I found the section on understanding the sea excellent, I live close to the sea, yet it moves so quickly that its difficult to see the actions. This sections shows clearly the difference between calm seas, swells and waves and explains how to make them look realistic. Two excellent demonstrations at the end pull together the individual techniques covered and how to use them and also exactly which colours to use.

This will be an excellent book for those keen to paint realistic skies and seas, and the sea section in particular is very clearly explained and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 6 Aug 2008
Glenn Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
A great little book for all those artists endeavouring to paint the most difficult of subjects - the wild sea.

Full of useful information, explaining use of oil colours, techniques, reflections, transparency, layout etc ...

Includes two nice painting projects in detail.

Well worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Painting seas and skies, 16 Dec 2009
Mr. R. G. Hayton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
Being a bit of an amateur artist myself, and usually quite happy with my results, the only failure of technique, not having had any training, used to be the depiction of seascapes. This small volume has gone a long way to rectifying this. It is crammed with helpful hints and the methodology to enable me to produce dramatic breaking waves and high, wide and threatening skies. While the title stipulates the use of oils, I always work in acrylics, but the hints and tips work just as well provided one works with speed and confidence. This little book has enabled me to expend my own horizons, and I am delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars sea & sky, 18 Jun 2011
chris (somewhere near mainland scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
Sea and Sky in Oils by Roy Lang - I found this guide suited my needs perfectly. I have not painted for some years and now wanted to take it up again. Living right next to the sea with a fair amount of stormy weather thrown in, this was what I wanted to paint, but had never tackled this subject before.

This book deals exclusively with this subject and gives a very practical guide to the materials and colours required as well as step by step techniques on how to achieve a good result. There are 2 images at the end of the book which are broken down into step-by-step guides on how to build up the image. Whilst this might not be everyone's 'cup of tea' as to how to set about a painting, I found it useful to carry out these exercises to practise the techniques so that I had more confidence and idea of what I was doing when I came to conveying my own images. No two images are ever the same so it is possible to make, even these 'copied' images your own.

Roy's style of writing suited me perfectly, very down to earth and matter-of-fact - no 'flowery' arty language - great! I also like his style of painting which, of course, helps.

I bought 2 other books along with this one - one was more generally concerned with landscapes and the other with light and colour, but for me this was by far the best of the 3.

So if you particularly want to paint sea and sky scapes I would definitely recommend Roy's book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seascape Paintings, 14 Jun 2010
A. Corfe (Carlow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
There are some great paintings included within this book which is inspiring enough, but the desciptions of the techniques involved and how the paintings were put together would benefit anyone who aspires to paint the sea and sky, from beginner to the more advanced artist. Easy to follow guidelines which can be immediately put into practice, my next painting was a significant improvement and made my purchase of this book a real investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 18 July 2010
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
If you enjoy painting landscapes, this book is for you.

The author explains the basics to paint the sky and the sea, to later describe two step-by-step projects. Besides being easy to follow, Roy certainly loves the sea and transmits his feelings to the reader, helping him to assimilate the contents.

Not only explains brilliantly the technique, but teaches how to paint marines with emotions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 4 Jan 2014
Mrs. S. J. Dove "Susie Dove" (Heacham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
I was so looking forward to receiving this book, based on the reviews on this site. I had hoped that there would be a good variety of different landscapes to work from. However, there are hardly any skies at all and as for the sea, unless you like crashing waves and rocks there doesn't seem to be anything else. I know the artist is based in Cornwall but I had hoped that there would be different kinds of beaches and vistas within this book. I live in Norfolk where we have big expansive sandy beaches and BIG Norfolk skies, but there was nothing like this in this book. Also the colours are very monotonous and there is nothing sunny in this book at all. Finally, for a complete beginner, there is not much in the way of explanation as to materials, which I had also hoped for. Telling the reader what his preferences are is fine, but he should also state what is the norm, especially with regard to mixing mediums and cleaners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painting sea, 23 May 2009
J. W. Greenwood "JWG" (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
Sea and Sky in Oils
After completing the projects in the book I was able to adapt the techniques to make paintings based on my own photographs, and for the first time my waves, sea and sky looked dramatic and realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oil Painting- Sea and sky, 7 Jan 2011
J. Shaw (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
Excellent well laid out book showing materials and techniques with supporting demonstrating paintings which describe the steps necessary to achieve the relevant effects.Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for sea techniques, 31 May 2010
Ian Frost (Weston-super-Mare, Somerset United, Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea and Sky in Oils (Paperback)
I got this book just on an off chance from Amazon, and am totally impressed. It has a great mix of techniques plus several step by step worked examples. If you would like to paint dramatic seas, get this book! The author also works wet on wet so no waiting forever for each stage to dry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sea and Sky in Oils
Sea and Sky in Oils by Roy Lang (Paperback - 12 Mar 2007)
Used & New from: £29.02