Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 October 2010
I have just taken up embroidery (not counting a couple of samplers I made as a 10 year old) and started re-learning all the basic stitches. I heard about Brazilian Embroidery and the tremendous 3D effects you can get using this skill. I bought this book as it seems a in very close alliance to that type of embroidery. I was pleased to read the reviews about Patt Trott's detailed description of the stitches in this book. When the book arrived I was able to get straight down to work with the easy descriptions, as well as finding the good quality photographs of help. She actually only describes 17 stitches in detail, whilst the rest of the book looks at a couple of other techniques for fabrics. There are also 3 projects to do using the described stitches. I am very pleased with the book overall and have already recommended it to stitching friends.
on 6 February 2009
I had been to a talk given by Pat Trott (which included seeing and handling some of her mother's exquisite needlework) and liked her down-to-earth, no-nonsense style. This book is just the same - clear, easy to follow instructions with superb photographic illustrations. Also some unexpected good tips on creating backgrounds. An excellent buy.
on 3 July 2007
This is a really lovely book and the author obviously loves her stitches. The book is not very big but it contains concise step-by-step instructions to creating a variety of textural stitches, some of which are very original, and all of which can be followed by a complete beginner.

The instructions and illustrations are very clear, and there is a lot of extra information such as creating depth, giving a colour wash to the background, and making rocks and stones.

There are also a few projects to give you ideas to get started, but the stitches are great for any use, and I think they would be particularly brilliant for use in embellishing a landscape quilt.

A nice extra book to have around, whatever you sew.
on 18 March 2013
Wow, what a lot of different effects you can create with a needle and thread. Easy to follow instructions so it is then down to you as to how you use the techniques you have mastered. There are 4 detailed projects to try.
on 4 February 2009
I bought this book as a Christmas present for a friend. She is delighted with it.The stitch directions are easy to follow and she likes the range of sitches covered. She has also stitched some of the projects. The instruction were clear and easy to follow and she is very happy with the results
on 25 February 2010
Not having embroidered since school, I wanted to see if I could add some interesting elements to my free-machine embroidery.
This did the trick! A lovely little book. Clearly written and with good photographs. I am making a sample book to keep as a reference and also as a pretty keepsake. It has definitely awakened my interest in hand embroidery!
on 28 August 2010
This book is an inspiration to anyone who is attempting to create 3d embroidery for the first time. Since it arrived, I haven't put it down! I've created lots of different pictures from all of the samples. It's definitely a book that I will be using for a long time to come.
on 3 July 2014
This is such an inspiring book and has many of the things I have been trying to source. Arrived in good time and well packed.
As a total beginner of only a few weeks, I feel able to try out the stitchs shown as they are very well explained.
I'm glad I read the reviews and trusted the positive ones. Would recommend to anyone wanting to master some interesting stitches.
on 2 May 2013
I had no idea that embroidery cottons and silks could be used with such effect. Stunning masterpieces made by using simple stitching techniques has me converted from a boring old cross-stitcher to an artist.
on 19 January 2014
I am very pleased with this book. It has clear illustrations of how to make the stitches and lovely photos to inspire you to design your own embroidery. Alternatively there are also ideas to copy. Brilliant