4.0 out of 5 stars Starting to stitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
fab book
Published 3 months ago by alison johnston

4.0 out of 5 stars Starting to stitch, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Three-dimensional Embroidery Stitches (Needlecrafts) (Paperback)
I have just taken up embroidery (not counting a couple of samplers I made as a 10 year old) and started re-learning all the basic stitches. I heard about Brazilian Embroidery and the tremendous 3D effects you can get using this skill. I bought this book as it seems a in very close alliance to that type of embroidery. I was pleased to read the reviews about Patt Trott's detailed description of the stitches in this book. When the book arrived I was able to get straight down to work with the easy descriptions, as well as finding the good quality photographs of help. She actually only describes 17 stitches in detail, whilst the rest of the book looks at a couple of other techniques for fabrics. There are also 3 projects to do using the described stitches. I am very pleased with the book overall and have already recommended it to stitching friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 6 Feb 2009
I had been to a talk given by Pat Trott (which included seeing and handling some of her mother's exquisite needlework) and liked her down-to-earth, no-nonsense style. This book is just the same - clear, easy to follow instructions with superb photographic illustrations. Also some unexpected good tips on creating backgrounds. An excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Textural stitches with brilliant results, 3 July 2007
S. Penelope "Marnia" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This is a really lovely book and the author obviously loves her stitches. The book is not very big but it contains concise step-by-step instructions to creating a variety of textural stitches, some of which are very original, and all of which can be followed by a complete beginner.

The instructions and illustrations are very clear, and there is a lot of extra information such as creating depth, giving a colour wash to the background, and making rocks and stones.

There are also a few projects to give you ideas to get started, but the stitches are great for any use, and I think they would be particularly brilliant for use in embellishing a landscape quilt.

A nice extra book to have around, whatever you sew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing what you can fit into a smallish book, 27 Oct 2011
Mrs. L. Burn - See all my reviews
I have to agree with the other reviews, this is a very useful, straight forward no nonsense little book.

The stitch section illustrates, step by step, enough basic stitches for a beginner to produce a really nice piece of work. The book also has some more advanced stitches and techniques which the more experienced will also find interesting and useful.

A great book for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get out your needle and scraps of thread, 18 Mar 2013
Wow, what a lot of different effects you can create with a needle and thread. Easy to follow instructions so it is then down to you as to how you use the techniques you have mastered. There are 4 detailed projects to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three-dimensional Embroidery Stitches, 4 Feb 2009
Mrs. C. M. Thompson (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a Christmas present for a friend. She is delighted with it.The stitch directions are easy to follow and she likes the range of sitches covered. She has also stitched some of the projects. The instruction were clear and easy to follow and she is very happy with the results

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick up those threads!, 25 Feb 2010
NeedtoRead (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Not having embroidered since school, I wanted to see if I could add some interesting elements to my free-machine embroidery.
This did the trick! A lovely little book. Clearly written and with good photographs. I am making a sample book to keep as a reference and also as a pretty keepsake. It has definitely awakened my interest in hand embroidery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Aug 2010
Ms. K. Crookes (Coulsdon, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This book is an inspiration to anyone who is attempting to create 3d embroidery for the first time. Since it arrived, I haven't put it down! I've created lots of different pictures from all of the samples. It's definitely a book that I will be using for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book, 3 July 2014
jenny wren (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This is such an inspiring book and has many of the things I have been trying to source. Arrived in good time and well packed.
As a total beginner of only a few weeks, I feel able to try out the stitchs shown as they are very well explained.
I'm glad I read the reviews and trusted the positive ones. Would recommend to anyone wanting to master some interesting stitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing effects, 2 May 2013
I had no idea that embroidery cottons and silks could be used with such effect. Stunning masterpieces made by using simple stitching techniques has me converted from a boring old cross-stitcher to an artist.

Three-dimensional Embroidery Stitches (Needlecrafts)
Three-dimensional Embroidery Stitches (Needlecrafts) by Pat Trott (Paperback - July 2004)