on 27 January 2004
Assessment is at the core of social work. If you want to get to grips with it - this is the book for you. It covers all the theory without getting bogged down in it. It then shows how this theory relates to practise. It has nice little extra features like chapters summaries and activities which help deepen your understanding.
If you want to be a successful social worker you have to have 1st rate assessment skills. This book will help you on your way.
on 18 March 2004
One in a set of four books produced by learning matters. I found the two I have to be useful as an overview of basic content of new social work degree course. Each chapter is clear and concise, set out with case studies and activities. Good value for money to give a grounding, but for those assignments you will need more depth than these books are able to offer.
I would recommend them to get you started.
on 15 January 2008
A good general basic book. Especially useful to me in the second year of my social work degree but also useful in the third year. Gives all the basic information in an easy to read and easy to understand format, easy to dip in and out of for assignments too. When you couple this with its reasonable price I would say that it is the one to buy for this topic.
on 10 August 2011
This is an ideal companion for any social work student. Although many of the examples and exercises are geared toward children's social work rather than adult's it gives a good overview of generic social work assessment and some of the skills required to carry out effective assessments as well as exploring different theories and approaches to assessment. A very readable and interesting book highly recommended.
on 4 October 2010
This was an essential book for me whilst on my first placement, and I will be using it again when on my second. Really helps guide you through the social work process os assess, plan, intervene and review, making sense of why we do what we do. Cannot recommend this enough for placement, it will really help with all those written pieces. This book was impossible to get hold of from the uni library during placement, so I bought my own to make sure I have it to hand next time around!
on 20 December 2009
Good book to have, regardless of what year of study you are in for social work.
on 27 October 2015
Great book in case you have any worries about what social work consists of, it creates a basic understanding and I have already referred to it multiple times since starting my course in social work this year.
on 10 August 2007
this is an essential book if you intend or are going to study at bournemouth university as jonathan parker lectures here. the book is well worth reading cover to cover before you go to his lectures as the lectures will make so much more sense. the book in general is well written and clear the content is informative and usefull and the case studies are excellent way of reinforcing the knowledge base within this book.
on 29 December 2012
I really like this book, it helps me to get the basic understanding I need for social work practice and then I can read further.
on 17 July 2013
A good book bought to suport my university course
its factual and helpful