5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 27 Jan 2004
Assessment is at the core of social work. If you want to get to grips with it - this is the book for you. It covers all the theory without getting bogged down in it. It then shows how this theory relates to practise. It has nice little extra features like chapters summaries and activities which help deepen your understanding.
If you want to be a successful social worker you have to have 1st rate assessment skills. This book will help you on your way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transforming Social Work Practice, 18 Mar 2004
One in a set of four books produced by learning matters. I found the two I have to be useful as an overview of basic content of new social work degree course. Each chapter is clear and concise, set out with case studies and activities. Good value for money to give a grounding, but for those assignments you will need more depth than these books are able to offer.
I would recommend them to get you started.

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential basic, 15 Jan 2008
L. Smailes "Noblesse oblige" (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
A good general basic book. Especially useful to me in the second year of my social work degree but also useful in the third year. Gives all the basic information in an easy to read and easy to understand format, easy to dip in and out of for assignments too. When you couple this with its reasonable price I would say that it is the one to buy for this topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and understand, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Social Work Practice: Assessment, Planning, Intervention and Review (Transforming Social Work Practice Series) (Paperback)
This is an ideal companion for any social work student. Although many of the examples and exercises are geared toward children's social work rather than adult's it gives a good overview of generic social work assessment and some of the skills required to carry out effective assessments as well as exploring different theories and approaches to assessment. A very readable and interesting book highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential placement book, 4 Oct 2010
T. Horner (Limavady, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This was an essential book for me whilst on my first placement, and I will be using it again when on my second. Really helps guide you through the social work process os assess, plan, intervene and review, making sense of why we do what we do. Cannot recommend this enough for placement, it will really help with all those written pieces. This book was impossible to get hold of from the uni library during placement, so I bought my own to make sure I have it to hand next time around!

4.0 out of 5 stars Social Work Practice, 20 Dec 2009
Good book to have, regardless of what year of study you are in for social work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise., 16 Feb 2014
Bought this as an update but not many changes from last edition. As clear as ever. Also bought new edition on kindle so even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Social work Practice, 17 July 2013
A good book bought to suport my university course
its factual and helpful
i still use it now

good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great essential social work item for PLO., 18 Jan 2013
This book was great for me during my placement as covers the whole social work process. Great for the old tuning ins!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 29 Dec 2012
I really like this book, it helps me to get the basic understanding I need for social work practice and then I can read further.