on 27 July 2005
This book has some very nice, if unoriginal photographic illustrations and the quality of reproduction is good. The text is reasonable, with some nice insights but the general concept seems flawed. As ever, there is continual confusion between photographs of Olympic and Titanic. My main complaint is the deck plans, which are clearly those of Olympic. The author seems oblivious to the fact that Titanic's deck plans were substantially different. Sadly this book seems to have been produced for the mass market, not for the serious Titanic scholar.
on 4 July 2008
Building the Titanic: An Epic Tale of Modern Engineering has good text and pictures, but not enough information about the interior of the ship itself. Titanic Enthusiasts DON'T BUY THIS if you want a lot more information about Titanic
on 22 June 2007
I only wish that I had viewed this book 'before' purchasing. If I had, I wouldn't have bought it. As the previous reviewer had stated, this is indeed a mass produced market book, and I fully agree. I struggled to find something positive to say about the book itself. The images, though good in themselves, could have been reproduced better. The ships plans had been mistaken for Titanic's older sister 'Olympic' (note B Deck) with the only minor relation to Titanic being the enclosed off forward section of A Deck (as seen in one of the side profile plans). Most of the books text is basically taken from other sources with nothing really new to offer, certainly not for the more serious Titanic scholars out there. In hindsight, the book may have looked like a good idea at the time, but the author should have left that idea as just an 'idea'.

For those who want a more serious book about the building of this famous liner, wait (like myself) for the book "Titanic - The Ship Magnificent" which is released late 2007.
on 7 November 2009
I gave this to my wife for her birthday. She is reading it and likes it. I liked the pictures in it, which is why I got it for her.
on 29 November 2007
"Building the Titanic" is a highly readable, lavishly illustrated tribute to the men who helped design, build and sail Edwardian Britain's greatest (yet tragically flawed) ocean going liner.

Essential reading for anyone who has more than a passing interest in our industrial heritage - which thanks largely to Mrs Thatcher's economic "miracle" is sadly confined to the pages of history and this marvellous book.

I wonder whether, in 95 odd years time, people will write with similar pride and enthusiasm about our early 21st century Call Centres and McService industries? I doubt it!!!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse