5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who and the Pirates - Doctor Who the Musical!
Yet another excellent audio drama from Big Finish, starring Colin Baker as the sixth Doctor, with Maggie Stables as his made for audio companion Evelyn Smythe, professor of History at a University. The relationship between these two characters (and actors) is excellent, the unusually old companion is a great foil for Six's exuberance and arrogance.

The Big...
Published on 4 May 2010 by Victor

2.0 out of 5 stars Musical Who!
This audio CD from Big Finish is a real 'Marmite' episode. All the previous reviewers clearly love it but I'm afraid I found the musical aspect rather tiresome after a while. Jacqui Rayner has attempted to do something original and all credit to her for a brave move, however I'm not a fan of operetta and therefore it wasn't my cup of tea.
Published on 13 Mar 2009 by Captain Pugwash

1.0 out of 5 stars Why The Silly Singing?, Awful Audio Adventure, 26 Oct 2013
Timelord007 (The Tardis) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Positive.
The End.

Negative.
Silly farical plot that sends up the show, It's storys like this that give anti Who haters yes Mr Grade that means you the ammo to disrespect our beloved tv show.
The singing in fact got on my nerves so much it took me three listerns to finish this adventure & i never want hear it again, I kept Paracetamol in business listerning to this, Oh my head ached.

Audio Info.
This is a 4 part adventure on 2 CD running 120 minutes although it seemed a lot longer.

Review.
Oh dear this hurts me to review a product of Doctor Who that's negative but i have be honest in my reviews & this was just awful This is one worst storys Big Finish have written & whoever thought the singing a good idea wants there P45 & marching orders quickly.

The plot well what i could fathom to be a plot The Doctor & Evelyn are retelling a previous adventure to one of Evelyns student's Sally about there encounter with Pirate's & Ole Red Jasper a OTT Bill Oddie, Told in a 3rd dimension perspective & then the Doctor starts to sing.......I am the very model of a Gallifreyan Buccaneer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh my god well that's the printable version to my reaction anyway, Singing Timelord?, Why?, & the singing never stops throughout the second disc making this listener preying for death.

There is a emotional reason to the ending why the Doctor & Evelyn are telling this adventure to Sally but in the end i didn't care i just wanted the adventure to be over & END!!!

It took 3 sittings to review this so please vote Yes just for doing that for this review.

Since hearing this musical adventure It's been a overload to my brain because of those awful songs my sanity is now debatable.

Colin Baker must have thought "Why Me Lord" when he got this script & i do hope he was well paid.

Colin Baker deserves a lot better than the material given here Colin has become a exellent Audio Doctor Who & this script is a embarrassment to a actor of Colins calibre.

There is no way Tom Baker would've have done this story he'd thrown the script threw the window with his usual comment "Audible Print".

Avoid this Audio Adventure like the plague if you want a classic Doctor Who pirate adventure you wont find it here instead try Series 6 of NuWho episode 3 Curse Of The Black Spot as there's no pot of gold at the end of this Rainbow, More likely a smelly old boot instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who and the Pirates - Doctor Who the Musical!, 4 May 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)

The Big Finish dramas are at their best when playing around with the format and trying something new. And that is what we have here. Essentially this episode is Doctor Who the Musical. The Doctor and Evelyn are relating a tale to one of Evelyn's students, weaving a story of adventure on the high seas (the plot of which will sound familiar to fans of treasure island!) and telling in the style of Gilbert and Sullivan in appropriate places. The pastiche works well to my ears and makes for an entertaining couple of hours listening. Especially the slightly dark ending, where the pair's motives for telling the story become clear, and the relationship between the Doctor and Evelyn is explored a little bit further.

Once again Colin Baker does an outstanding job as the Doctor, leavening the harsh, arrogant style of his TV episodes with a compassion and humour that gives the character much more depth. The great Bill Oddie does a turn as the Pirate Captain Red Jasper, hamming it up to the rafters yet striking just the right note and providing entertainment and menace in equal measure.

All in all an excellent adventure. It can be listened to in isolation, but it might help to hear some of the earlier Baker/Evelyn audios to understand some of the back story. A bit different from what you normally get, but a welcome experiment, and one I hope the Big Finish team repeat with other Doctors sometime.

2.0 out of 5 stars Musical Who!, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars "I am the very model of a Gallifreyan buccanneer ...", 7 Nov 2012
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
This is a very unique Doctor Who story, in the formatting in which it is presented. Evelyn is relating the story of how she and the Doctor met up with some pirates to a pupil of hers, who is a less than enthusiastic audience. But it's clear to us, as we listen to the tale unfold, that there is much more to this than first appears. Why are the Doctor and Evelyn so determined to tell Sally their story?

In the first of the four episodes, there is a lot of light-heartedness in the relating of the tale; Sally pulls Evelyn up for her caricatures of the pirates, and it all seems very jolly. The second episode is much darker, as the true nature of the pirates becomes clear, and the story becomes more than just a tale being related. Strangely, the third episode largely takes the form of a musical (yes, a musical; you'll see why when you get to that part). Now, I really don't like musicals, but I absolutely loved this, and found myself singing along as I listened to the cd in the car. In the fourth episode, all the threads of the story (both the pirate story, and Evelyn and the Doctor's visit to Sally) come together. There is humour, pathos, sorrow and humanity.

I really enjoyed this; I think the relationship between the Sixth Doctor and Evelyn is really honest and brings out the best in the Doctor. The two characters go so well together that it's a joy to listen to them. Bill Oddie, who plays the Pirate Captain Red Jasper is absolutely wonderful, and Captain Swan is totally hilarious.

There's a lot to take in, in this story, and it swings through so many emotions and moods that you really need to listen to it more than once to appreciate it fully. Totally recommended; a real keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars i am the very model of a big finish doctor who audio drama, 5 April 2013
K. J. Astbury (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
I am not going to mince words here this is a perfect audio colin baker and maggie stables are perfect in there roles as the doctor and evelyn and the songs are great and the plot is wonderfull i am not going to spoil it just go and buy it this is by far my faveirout big finish doctor who story yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated it, 8 Feb 2013
Mr. Jm Lord "Mickdenise27" (Bacup, Lancashire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
I have started to listen 3 timesand still have not got more than twenty minutes in. A brave attempt at a different theme for Doctor Who but definately not to my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely speechless. This is genius..., 28 Aug 2005
Mark Grindell "Mark Grindell" (Driffield, East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
I don't know how Big finish are situated, or even how they are arranged. Are they a huge studio complex - or in a tiny office somewhere in the sticks?
I ask this becaus for a while I was wondering how they were keeping up with the astounding rate of production, but more than that, reading scripts, preparing all the participants, working out, in other words HOW TO DO IT.
This is proof, this recording, that is, of the fact that something astonishing happens there. This is a story that begins in a complicated way, Bill Oddie suddenly appears, there are pirates, and amazingly, some music.
I have never been so moved by any of the Big Finish productions. I am not used to opera, which this is not, but in any case, whatever odd or extraordinary devices were used in stitching the narrative together ... well, I need to go for a long walk now. I heard it right through to the end, and... theres a pile of wet tissues somewhere now.
This is quite silly. I'm supposed to discuss the story. I am supposed to be objective. I should say that its' about....
I would just go and stop reading this and just get it. I'm going to quit while I'm behind.
In case you didn't get the point, here we go. This is MARVELLOUS. I'm astonished....

5.0 out of 5 stars How diverse and brilliant can the big finish range be?!, 27 Dec 2007
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
Doctor who has had mad scientists, mad monsters, repetitive robots saying kill all the flipping time and loads of other great ingredients ever since its beginnings with the late great william hartnell back in 1963. And now what do we get from that great company big finish productions? We get Dr who and the pirates! With Bill Oddie. before i even listened to this story i knew it would be fun. With bill its not going to be anything else. there is tonnes of humour and also a few sorrowful moments which blend very well with the witty overall theme of this story. Maggie stables perhaps gives one of her best performances as the great companion evelyn smythe. But you know what really makes this story? the daft singing. Colin Baker is laughably good and the lyrics are flaming hilarious. Jaci Rayner really acxtuallyw rote a beauty with this story. In fact, this does feel like it could have been a William Hartnell story, with the historicness of old pirates and such. I love this play to bits. It really is a dose of good humour. Listen to this if youre feeling down and need perking up!

5.0 out of 5 stars The doctor meets gilbert and sullivan, 24 Aug 2006
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
The sixth doctor and evelyn go and visit a former student of the latters. Who is in need of a bit of cheering up.

And what could cheer someone up more than a jolly tale about pirates?

Complete with music!

And the doctor singing!

What an astonishing audio this is. An experimental one that works brilliantly, as the tale of the pirates could have come from a gilbert and sullivan opera. Bill oddie puts in a wonderful turn as the nasty pirate captain, and the music, whilst being awfully corny at points, is intentionally so, which is all part of the charm.

And the story has more twists and turns than just that, because there's more going on with evelyn's former student than meets the eye.

A brilliant, multi layered, hugely entertaining, unforgettable experience. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 11 Jan 2009
Varian Beauregard (Le Jardin d'Angleterre) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Pirates (Audio CD)
This is one of the better Big Finish plays, and for very different reasons than most. One of the major strengths of the audio format is that it allows a variety not seen since the early days of televised Dr Who. Indeed my criticism of this story is that the whole thing should have been done in the musical format used for epiosde 3; because this attitude is fantastic whereas the others are more mundane by comparison (but still tell a good yarn). In fact I usually just listen to episode three and discard the rest of the play becuase it pales in comparison. But thanks to that episode alone, this CD excels the majority of Dcotor Who plays for replay value even if one only occassionally returns to the full story. Of course it helps if you are familiar with 'The Pirates of Penzance', but either way this is immensely enjoyable, and it's great to hear the Gallifreyan Buccaneer sing!

Doctor Who and the Pirates
Doctor Who and the Pirates by Jacqueline Rayner (Audio CD - 25 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: 49.90