on 22 September 2009
I used to read this book as a child (i too am a sophie and was very much like the character - at the time!) and these stories brought me so much pleasure then, and were read and re-read, time and time again.

Recently purchased and only one page in, it brought back the same joy. Bought for a child this would make a lovely gift, that would certainly encourage reading (great use of language, rather than talking to kids like they are stupid - but the benefits of a larger text print :) )and as a 'grown up' i say go for it, bit of light, fun reading!
on 21 October 2013
My daughter loves this book that she got for her 6th birthday. She enjoys me reading it to her for her bedtime story - each of the chapters are a perfect length and are a story in themselves so she doesnt complain that we are half way through a story when I say 'lights off'! and now she is nearly 7 she is able to read it herself. I would highly recommend!
on 27 July 2012
Bought for a small friend after reading the stories to my 5-year-old, who thoroughly enjoyed them. Lovely gentle stories with plenty of mischief!
on 12 January 2014
what a difference to read a book,that has 'normal' children in it.So many books for children don't have any depth
on 17 December 2012
I bought these stories for my daughters 16 years ago they were big Sophie fans. , So got this book for my niece, she is starting to read her self this book is great for able readers, and there are just enough illustrations to add to the text. Sophie stands the test of time. classic stories
on 22 April 2001
an excellent book in which shows how one little girl can be whatever she wants to be just by being determind and an individual this book is one of the most enjoyable reads I have ever had the pleasure of reading
on 6 January 2011
My daughter loves these stories, first being read to her (age 5) and now reading them herself (just 7). They are funny and not sickly like the fairly magic type of story that she hates. I would recommend to any little girl!
on 5 February 2006
My 5 year old daughter thought the Sofie stories were really good and we, as adults, enjoyed reading them to her. Sophie is like a real little girl - not too PC - and my daughter could really identify with her.
We also have the story tapes which are good.
on 26 September 2012
A good book for 6+. I really loved "Sophie's Snail" and the other stories were exciting too. I am 7 and I think children between the ages of 6 and 10 would enjoy these tales.
on 30 March 2014
I can remember thoroughly enjoying all of the Sophie books as a child and bought this volume to replace a couple of missing books, so that I could read this series to my three year old son. I enjoyed reading the series just as much as I can remember having it read to me. I feel that some of the humour in the books is aimed at parents as Sophie would sometimes do amusing things which my son found normal, as he does them! Overall this is a nice, well-balanced and upbeat series about family life from a child's perspective. Although animals feature heavily in these books, it is not from an animal's view point like many of Dick King-Smith's other books. The book is told from the point of view of a 'small but very determined' little girl, Sophie, who ages throughout the books, along with her twin brothers. Sophie is a pre-schooler at the start of the series and has her own 'farm' of woodlice, slugs, snails etc. As the stories go on, Sophie's ambition to one day have a farm of her own, grows. She also starts school, makes friends and foes, goes on holiday and faces many of the challenges that children face. Dick King-Smith wrote these books with the insight that issues such as losing a beloved pet snail down the plug hole, are not at all trivial when you're four. Although not as exciting as some of the other books we have read, my son still seemed to enjoy this series and spoke about them a lot. If you are planning to read the entire series then I will forewarn you that there is a sad element to the final book, 'Sophie's Lucky' which I'll admit, did make me cry! However, this helped my son and I to discuss some important facts of life and was one of many realistic experiences (they are mostly happy experiences) that Sophie has, which add to the usefulness of this series for educating a young child about life.