5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Feb. 2009
Mrs. J. L. Riley "Jane" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sophie's Adventures: "Sophie's Snail" , "Sophie's Tom" , "Sophie Hits Six" (Paperback)
Some of Dick King-Smith's best work. Ideal for boys and girls alike, as Sophie is a tom-boy. A charming read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great girls book, 6 Jan. 2015
I bought this for my granddaughter of the same name and she loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories from my childhood..., 30 Mar. 2014
I can remember thoroughly enjoying all of the Sophie books as a child and bought this volume to replace a couple of missing books, so that I could read this series to my three year old son. I enjoyed reading the series just as much as I can remember having it read to me. I feel that some of the humour in the books is aimed at parents as Sophie would sometimes do amusing things which my son found normal, as he does them! Overall this is a nice, well-balanced and upbeat series about family life from a child's perspective. Although animals feature heavily in these books, it is not from an animal's view point like many of Dick King-Smith's other books. The book is told from the point of view of a 'small but very determined' little girl, Sophie, who ages throughout the books, along with her twin brothers. Sophie is a pre-schooler at the start of the series and has her own 'farm' of woodlice, slugs, snails etc. As the stories go on, Sophie's ambition to one day have a farm of her own, grows. She also starts school, makes friends and foes, goes on holiday and faces many of the challenges that children face. Dick King-Smith wrote these books with the insight that issues such as losing a beloved pet snail down the plug hole, are not at all trivial when you're four. Although not as exciting as some of the other books we have read, my son still seemed to enjoy this series and spoke about them a lot. If you are planning to read the entire series then I will forewarn you that there is a sad element to the final book, 'Sophie's Lucky' which I'll admit, did make me cry! However, this helped my son and I to discuss some important facts of life and was one of many realistic experiences (they are mostly happy experiences) that Sophie has, which add to the usefulness of this series for educating a young child about life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 April 2015
This review is from: Sophie's Adventures (Hardcover)
Good condition. A classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Feb. 2015
D. Ellsmore-petty (UK) - See all my reviews
Magical for kids

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 21 Aug. 2011
My daughter just loves these stories because she is called sophie and is very like the sophie in the book. I would recommend these books to any little girl!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Nov. 2014
great book

Sophie's Adventures: "Sophie's Snail" , "Sophie's Tom" , "Sophie Hits Six"