5.0 out of 5 stars Pop up magic !
I was bought this book when I was about 10 (23 years ago!) and me and my mates loved it then. I kept it in good condition and I still have it today. It is now my 18 month old daughters favourite book.

You can never get bored of this book, it is so well made and is a great wee story. Jan Pienkowski is a master at these types of books.
Published on 7 Jun 2007 by Derek Shade

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm... what's all the fuss about?
I bought this for my young cousins on the back of some terrific reviews that I read but on receiving the book I was incredibly disppointed and actually sent the book back. Maybe I just got a copy from a bad batch or something but not all the pop-up mechanisms were working properly. Also, bad batch or not, you can't hide from the fact that the pop-ups are really...
Published on 25 April 2009 by Miss K

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop up magic !, 7 Jun 2007
Derek Shade "Deek" (Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars THE EPITOME OF POP-UPS, 15 Aug 2005
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
Multi-talented doesn't begin to describe Jan Pienkowski. Born in Poland in 1936 he made his first book when he was only 8-years-old. It was a gift for his father. Due to the war his family left Poland and eventually settled in England where he would attend Kings College. It seems that his interest in stage design developed while he was there.
Since his college days he has worked in publicity, advertising, and done stage designs for The Royal Ballet and Disneyland, Paris. Here, in America, we probably know him best for his amazing paper art. His pop-up books don't just spring forward, but swirl as in an octopus busily doing dishes or soar as in three geese flying across a mantel. Youngsters will be delighted to find this and so very much more in Haunted House.
This is a place where ghosts hide under the stairwell and a portrait of La Gio Conda watches with the touch of a tab. Refrigerator doors swing open to reveal a very Muenster-like kitchen, while King Kong holds forth in the living room.
Each double page is an amazing array of spooky sights just waiting for young fingers to release them. Haunted House is the epitome of pop-ups, a prototype for all budding paper artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. They don't make books like this anymore!, 8 Oct 2005
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
I was recently given a copy of this book for my little girl. It has become her favourite! Every page is full of fantastic illustrations and it takes a while to absorb everything going on in the picture. I am hoping there are other pop up books by the same artist because it has encourage my daughter to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars An old classic, 7 Jun 2010
J. Stewart (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
Exactly how i remembered it!From the ghost under the stairs to the octopus in the sink,it was a classic well ahead of its time! Incredibly quick delivery,thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful images!, 21 Nov 2009
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
Having bought a copy of this many years ago for my now-in-their-thirties daughters, I found that their 4 daughters were having just as much fun with it when they came to visit! However, after 20odd years of making the monsters open their jaws and appear in wardrobes or out of toilets etc, some of the tabs were getting a little worn so I bought one copy for each family as part of their Christmas bundle of books. I just know it's going to be popular!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nostalgic Reminder of the Past, 2 Nov 2009
K. Applebee "Big Kid" (Purley, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
A truly fantastic pop up master piece for kids (and adults with an inner child) which I yearned for as a child and now 30 years later, I have my own copy! Even 30 years on, the paper technology is as fresh and innovative as it was back then. Hours of fun and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast - great fun, 9 Aug 2009
DCD (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
Visually very exciting, with a variety of clever mechanisms - limited text. Haunted house theme. If you like pop-up books, you must add this to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A popular Pienkowski Pop-up!, 9 July 2009
P. G. Dalton "pattyd" (The Land of the Celts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
It is a delight to see that this classic of the pop-up genre is as loved and coveted by my young grand daughter as it was by her mum nearly thirty years ago! Its appeal spans the ages and each child will relate to the 'horror and scariness' with gales of laughter. A word of warning, this is a book that its owner might share but never give away! So, you might as well buy a few while you're at it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunted House, 22 Jun 2009
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
This brings back memories from the 80's when i was at school. A great book for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars An ALL TIME CLASSIC, 26 Oct 2008
This review is from: Haunted House (Hardcover)
I remember this book when i was at junior school over 20 years ago. The library copy was so tattered and worn as so many children used to borrow and play with it, but i still used to love it. So you can imagine my JOY as i just spotted it for sale whilst i was looking for books for my sons first Xmas. Now i know he is far to young at the moment (10 months at xmas), but as soon as i saw it i knew, this is a book he will love to read and play with once he is old enough - and until then i think i might relive a bit of my childhood lol!!

Superb Book :-D

Haunted House
Haunted House by Jan Pienkowski (Hardcover - 3 Oct 2005)
10.49