5.0 out of 5 stars The best young children's book ever
Published on 18 Sep 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars great story but disapointed with size
perhaps it was my fault for not looking closely at size but this book is very small, I'm not quite sure why the description says pop up because the pages are flat.
however on the plus side it is a cute size for small children to take around with them but pages are thin so older small child,
the story itself is a delight and one of my favorites from my own...
Published 2 months ago by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars The best young children's book ever, 18 Sep 2004
By A Customer
Our daughter is almost three and this book has become an essential part of her bedtime ritual. Ironically, she didn't have a fear of the dark until we read this and then she got the idea (she's quite dramatic). However, it has been great fun to play with and the simple dialogue between Big Bear and Little Bear is something that she knows off by heart. We have great fun doing the voices and it is my husband who most often gets to read it. He now takes her out into the garden after reading it as well, so that she too can look at the moon and stars.
Martin Waddell is one of our favourite children's authors and his books are a delight for children and parents alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 8 April 2008
This review is from: Can't You Sleep, Little Bear (Paperback)
This book was bought for my oldest daughter as a gift for her second birthday and has become a family tradition....

Little Bear can't get to sleep because he's afraid of the dark despite all of Big Bear's attempts at reassurance until Big Bear hits on the perfect way to get him to sleep.

This book is not just for patrents having difficulty getting their children to sleep, it's enchanting and wonderfully warm. I guarantee the way Big Bear resolves the situation will bring a lump to your throat.

The story is beautifully simple and the animation exquisite to the extent that we have given the series of books as gifts to friends' children in turn. After 17 years it's still a prized gift - which says it all really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for bed, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: Can't You Sleep, Little Bear (Paperback)
As a bedtime read, this book is perfection. Little bear has been put to bed, but cannot (or will not!) go to sleep as he is scared of the dark. Big Bear tries to banish the dark with lanterns of varying size, but there is always a little bit more dark on the edges of the light. Finally, Big Bear takes Little Bear outside to see that the stars and moon are throwing off all the light Little Bear needs, but Little Bear doesn't hear this, as he is fast asleep.

The story is charming, interesting but calm enough for an evening story. The artwork is well done and colourful enough to entice very young readers. As the subject of the book is bedtime, the pictures are quite dark in colour and tone, which is comforting and relaxing. Whilst this is not a new book, its charm keeps it a favourite for parents and children alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be a Classic, 7 July 2008
E. A. Mullen (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can't You Sleep, Little Bear (Paperback)
I'm amazed that anyone would want to tear this book up. It is absolutely charming and a lovely story to read at bedtime. I've lost count of how many copies I have bought as gifts. (All with great feedback.)
Adults and children alike love it. The Americans love it too. So, why not the British???

5.0 out of 5 stars The sweetest thing - for babies and adults alike, 20 Aug 2003
Eli B (Shanghai, China) - See all my reviews
This story and its characters are sooooo sweet. I bought this book for my 20-plus year old little sister who was going through an insomnia phase and it brought tears to her eyes.
Now that I have a 9-month old baby girl who also have sleeping problems I am going to buy this book again for her. It may not work for the sleeping issue, but I will LOVE reading it to her and looking together at the fantastic illustrations. Better than a yoga session.

4.0 out of 5 stars A charming, but not sentimental, book at bedtime., 7 Mar 1999
By A Customer
It must be difficult for childrens' authors not to fall into the "aah" trap - that indicator of appeal which makes them write not for the child but for the parent. At first glance "Can't You Sleep, Little Bear" seems to do just that. It comes close, but it doesn't.
The book really has two voices - if your child IS scared of the dark, this book gently encourages them to face their fear. If they don't, but just SAY they do, they'll get the joke in Barbara Firth's charming illustrations - but this book is still long enough for the sandman to get them in the end.
Charming, but not sentimental, this book is loved by all our family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly wonderful, even eighteen years on., 22 Dec 2007
I used to read this to my son, years ago. Came across it again recently and it STILL brings a lump to my throat. A brilliant, wise and poetic book, that never ever fades from the memory!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bedtime story for the young!, 15 Dec 2009
Ms. Grace Y. Lawton (UK) - See all my reviews
I had this story read to me when i was a child and it holds great memories! It is a good book to help with a bedtime routine. Also helps if children are afraid of the dark because they can relate to little bear! I have just bought this book in the small, hardback version for my future godchild and i hope she loves it as much as i used to :) Excellent value for money and quick delivery. Thankyou!

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm and cosy book, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Can't You Sleep, Little Bear (Paperback)
My son is now seventeen and we still refer to this book. He never was scared of the dark, we simply bought this book because of the beautiful poetry in the words particularly the ending, and the picures of little bear being restless. Leaves children feeling ready for sleep. I will buy this for my niece and nephew and would recommend to anyone.

Em

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Captivating for children and parents!, 4 July 1999
By A Customer
This book definately is a winner and no child should be without this one! As a teacher, I have yet to meet a child who cannot relate to this story. As a parent, what a fabulous bedtime story that addresses all children's fears of the dark ...and reassures them. Well done to the authors and more of the same please!

Can't You Sleep, Little Bear
Can't You Sleep, Little Bear by Barbara Firth (Paperback - 4 April 2005)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available