Format: PaperbackChange

on 1 March 2000
This story is wonderful - I first read this to my son when he was 1.5 and now he is 5 and still loves the wonderful rhyming text. I now have a baby who is one year old and he loves the bold illustrations and when I can persuade him not to eat the book, he will listen to the story and jump at all the right times before dissolving into giggles. I have read this book at least 1,000 times and I still love it.
on 9 June 2001
One of the best kid's book I've read. Both my kids have grown up on Eddies Teddy ! The pictures are wonderful and it's not long before a child knows the words and reads the story from memory with you. Great from 2 upwards.
on 5 January 2008
This is SUCH a good book. My son (now 3 and a half) has loved it since he was quite little and I love it too. The story is great and the rhymes are good too.

I love it when he picks this one to read at bedtime - it's a book that really is enjoyable to read, read, read, read and read again.
on 2 February 2002
My children just can't get enough of Eddy and his teddy. Jez Alborough is a wonderful rhyming storyteller. This has been a favourite now with my children for a long time. All children should have it!
on 2 August 2008
My little boy's favourite book. The rhyming couplets really appeal to him. He is only 8 months old but as soon as I pick up THIS book, he gets really excited. He giggles along at certain lines and it never fails to settle him down.
Just brilliant.
on 2 April 2007
This book was bought for my youngest daughter several years ago. I totally agree with the previous reviewer's comments that it is for older children, we started reading it when my daughter was 4. To this day, all of my children can quote the entire series word for word, as can I.

The book details Eddie's search for his teddy, Freddy after he was accidentally left behind in the woods. Unbeknown to Eddy, Bear has also lost his teddy and is searching at the same time......

The book is written as a poem and is brilliant and funny, a real treat for parents getting a little tired of Cinderella and Tigerella with some real scope for fun and tension. this is a wonderful and much loved book and invokes some wonderful and very special childhood memories for myself and my children.

I would also highly recommend "It's the Bear!" - our favourite of the series.
on 16 January 2016
Storyline - A story about Eddy losing his teddy and him looking in the woods to find him. But in the wood it is dark and scary. Eddy then comes across a giant teddy bear, that’s too big to fit in his bed. Eddy hears strange noise and sobs behind the huge teddy. A gigantic bear then comes out of the woods holding Eddy’s teddy and coming towards the huge teddy. The bear leans down to his teddy to pick him up, revealing little Eddy and dropping Eddy’s teddy. They both run off in opposite directions and snuggle up in their beds.

Early Years Teachers - This book proved to be an invaluable resource on my teaching placements. As expected with this well known author Jez Alborough, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with.

Themes: bears, emotions, being lost, friends.

Activity ideas:
- Children mind map other words for giant and try to use them in their work.
- Children could discuss their favorite teddies.
- Children could have a teddy bears picnic with their favorite teddies.
- Children could look at the woods picture and try to guess what may happen.
- Children could discuss how Eddy must have felt when he lost his teddy and this could relate to their experiences of losing something.
- Children could discuss why the bear and Eddy ran away from each other at the end. Were they scared of each other? Why were they sacred of each other?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2009
I've yet to see a book by Jez Alborough which doesn't merit 5 stars. They're all absolutely brilliant - great stories, fantastic illustrations. My son loves them all, including this one. It takes a special talent to create so many good childrens books with so much variety.
on 21 May 2000
This book combines beautiful illustration with a quickly unfolding storyline that catches the imagination. It is so easy to be enthusiastic when telling this story that my daughter demands "Bear. Bear" every time.
on 12 April 2011
I bought this book for my little brother (1 year old) and he loves it.
He picks it up and waves it under our noses until we read it to him.
At first the story seems very simple but it gets better with each repitition (a huge positive for a kids book)and you soon realise how well planned out each of the rhymes are and how funny/sweet the story is.
The whole family can now resite most of it by heart without having to open the book.
The book is about A4 size so is perfect for letting him see the big full page illustrations of the giant bear and tiny eddy.
I'd recommend this book highly on my brothers behalf.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse