5.0 out of 5 stars believe in the impossible
Published on 25 Jan. 2004 by christian cull

3.0 out of 5 stars This is ok
I bought this based on very good reviews. Both my daughters enjoy the story and rhyme but I find the illustrations disappointing. The pictures are almost the same on every page leaving you with little to work with in terms of expanding vocabulary and discussing what is happening in more detail.
Published 14 months ago by Andrea

5.0 out of 5 stars believe in the impossible, 25 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Hardcover)
If you want to enthrall your children with a truly wonderful and enchanting story that shows that anything is possible, buy and enjoy this book. Magical illustrations and a simple text combine with genuine originality to create something special. Now a two year old's favourite bedtime story, it holds equal appeal for her four year old brother. Their father is happy to read it to them every night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Dogs Do, 12 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic, about believing in yourself as a child, and not worrying about what others say or think. I loved it. things can happen when you're happy, don't let others bring you down to earth!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!!, 1 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Paperback)
It's the best feel-good book I have encountered for ages. It's hard to precisely say why, but somehow, the combination of the story, the rhyme and the illustrations is just spot on.
The illustrations are wonderful: bold brushstrokes and clean colours, chunky dogs with shiny fur and floppy ears and most of all perfectly rendered expressions of emotional states: the flying Sid and family simply ooze elated happiness. Sad Sid is *really* sad which shows both in his expression and posture. His dad approaching worried Sid is a picture of loving parental concern.
The rhyme is simple, bouncy and good for reading aloud with enough repetition to emphasize but not too much as to bore.
The message or moral if you wish is, of course, of believing in yourself and your own experience against the opinion of authority (the teacher) and the peer group. The family is warm and caring, and of course, flying is an age-old allegory for joyful freedom of personal expression.
Apart from reinforcing self-belief, the book would provide an excellent basis for talking to your child about different feelings and reasons for them as the drawn characters have such clear facial and bodily expressions.
All in all, a fantastic picture book, with good rhyme, great illustrations and a huge feel-good factor. I would say it's suitable from about 2 years old, but a 3 to 5 year olds would appreciate it most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doggy Heaven, 20 Mar. 2007
A. J. Rabet "Rabs" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Paperback)
This is one of the sweetest stories I read to my children at bedtime. The story concerns a dog who is so happy that he flies but cannot when he is unhappy. This has a real feel good factor both for children and for adults (at least for this adult!)

Very highly recommended and on a par with "The Gruffalo"

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Dogs Do - review by Sam, 3 Jan. 2010
I love this book and decided to buy it as a Christmas present because I use it with the children in my class at school. The characters are lovely, especially the main character and all sorts of life lessons can be drawn from it - believing in yourself, what makes somebody unique, how it feels to be happy or sad, I could go on. The lines in the story rhyme, so there's another aspect to be drawn from it! The pictures are fab. I bought this particular copy for the son of a very good friend of mine and my hope is that he, his brother and his Mum and Dad will grow to love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book almost as much as my 3yo!, 7 Feb. 2012
Jane:[...]
This is a heart-warming story of a little dog named Sid who from sheer happiness manages to fly to school one day. Once there no-one will believe him and his happiness quickly disappears. Back at home his Dad shows a loving concern for his sons' unhappiness, which is quickly dispersed when a secret is revealed!

The story is very entertaining, with a fun bouncy rhyme and repetition to enthrall and engage the participation of your audience.

My son always follows the story, repeating crucial points throughout. We especially enjoy Sid's `long and lonely walk home' as we talk about his walk through fields and over hills! I could easily recite it by heart now and having read it so often (usually 4 times every night), my son nearly does too - which only adds to the amusement and enjoyment we both get from our nightly rendition of `Sid'!

The fantastic colourful illustrations delight with their emotionally expressive characters - we witness Sid's elated happiness at flying, his disbelief at the response of his classmates and teacher and the loving concern of his Dad and family.

This book is about believing in yourself and shows that anything is possible if you believe in it enough, despite what others around you may think! In addition to studying the actions and adventures of Sid through the story, his emotions provide excellent opportunity to explore feelings and the reasons for them.

Verdict: I think I love this book almost as much as my 3 year old son and it's certainly a firm favourite in our house! I would strongly recommend this delightful book to anyone looking for a book for a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the favourite...!, 1 Mar. 2010
B. Speirs "babs_cr" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Paperback)
My 4 year old doesn't have attachments to toys or books or anything like that. But we have been reading this book together for over 2 years now and it is the only one we always come back to. It's a poignant and gentle story with a good message and great ending. He always wants to talk about it afterwards and it is written in such a way that there are lots of sentences that he will finish for me, even if he's enjoying it being read to him. Could recite the story by heart now easily, but the illustrations are fun. Not much in our house gets used on a regular basis but this is our 2nd copy. The first one was so tatty it became embarrassing! The adults love reading it, the kids love the adults reading it to them! Can't beat that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Dogs Do - lovely book, 27 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Hardcover)
I recently purchased this book and its great. Jez Alborough has done it again, another fantastic book which rhymes. my children loved it and I have already had to read it to them several times. well worth purchasing

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Hardcover)
My son absolutely loves this book, the illustrations are entrancing and the story great fun to read for adults. This is just as well, as I've read it over a hundred times to him already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Spiritual, Deeply Moving - for parents and kids!, 4 Jun. 2011
C. Chorlton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Dogs Do (Paperback)
Jez Alborough has created some quite incredible books. This one (along with 'Hello Beaky') entertains and yet touches something very deep in the soul. As a parent it regularly gives me a lump in my throat and reading it with my sons in particular it raises 'generational emotions' thinking about my own father and that one day my sons will hopefully be fathers too!
It is easily the best book on our bookshelf (and we have a LOT!). Please buy this and you'll never ever regret it. Even if you don't have any kids - get it and you'll want to have some!!

Some Dogs Do
Some Dogs Do by Jez Alborough (Paperback - 20 Mar. 2004)
Usually dispatched within 10 to 14 days