5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic
Published on 21 Jun 2007 by a grateful mum

3.0 out of 5 stars A little to old for my daughter
I bought this book for my 9 year old but found it a liitle too old for her so I have put it away until next year when she will be just over 10. Some things in this book I do not believe a 9 year should be reading about.
Published on 23 April 2010 by K. BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 21 Jun 2007
my son, aged 9, has been asking for several weeks if we could have 'the chat' but i had no idea where to start or where to stop. This book gives a clear yet simple overview of the whole subject whilst making it sound so normal and part of everyday life- which of course to an adult it is- but to a child it may seem totally unreal. As a child I was thrown a leaflet and left to it but this gives openings for discussion and answers questions that a child may find awkward. Healthy sex is such a large part of life now not just the pregnancy fear that I grew up with. This is talked about without putting an unrealistic fear into the child. WELL DONE!!! and thank you...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have children you should have this book, 30 Nov 2002
By A Customer
Our family think this is a brilliant book. It would be appropriate for children from ages (8), 9, 10 or 11 depending on maturity etc to about 14 years. The book covers "growing up, changing bodies, sex and sexual health" in a factual and accurate but often light-hearted way, recognising that children can be very embarassed about these topics, but do need to know the full facts and the context. It has been written for them as individuals and is aimed at their level of interest and understanding.
The illustrations are entertaining - accurate but cartoonish and the "bird" and "bee" comments at the margins are brilliant. The bee finds everything excruciatingly embarrassing and says so, but the bird loves it all and comments accordingly. Children can relate well to both characters and their thoughts at different stages of their development. They also begin to realise that the bee may be silly in being so prudish about natural matters and may adapt their own comments and behaviour in the light of this. We have used these characters to instigate family or individual discussions about these important topics - for example, prompting a discussion by saying "I can see you feel like the bee and find this very uncomfortable to talk about - would you like to look at the book again?" or "the bird loved this bit" and discussing more openly.
The approach taken in the book means that children go on to read chapters eg sexual health which they might not otherwise have read because they like the style of writing and the "aside" comments from the bird and bee. My children (two girls and a boy) read bits of the book avidly from the ages of about 9 or 10. They continue to dip into it as the months go by and as they realise the possible relevance of chapters which were a mystery to them previously. I still find it tucked in one or other of their bedside tables from time to time and would expect to do so for some years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book for children to talk and read with parents, 27 April 2001
By A Customer
we gave the book to our eldest child how knew the basic;s and let him read it in his own time and have been able to share it with him when he has had questions our wanted to talk about issues raised. the book has been on loan to several friends who have also gone on to buy it. great for children age 9 and up . all art work is child friendly and not out to give mum and dad red faces when reading as a family. also covered some issues some families may not feel able to talk about such as wet dreams' periods' body shape' what's normal on my body. great book!!!!!!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book that explains things easily for children, 17 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book for my ten year old daughter and am very glad I did. I even learnt a few things from it myself. It is in easy to understand terms and answers all the questions that a child is likely to ask. I am confident that my daughter will fully understand all aspects of 'growing up' thanks to this wonderful book. She can sit and read it on her own and ask any questions she needs to without me trying to blindly explain things to her. The cartoon style pictures also make it fun for her to read and easier to follow what all the words actually mean. I wish there had been something this good on the market when I was growing up, it would have made my life a whole lot easier, my mum's too I think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I bought this for my 9 year old daughter and now my husband wants to read it! It is well written and easy for a child to read and I would recommend it to anybody trying to work out how to explain the facts of life to their children. My only problem is keping it away from my 7 year old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 11 Sep 2009
I bought this book for my 11 year old son who is getting things wrong from playground gossip - he was thrilled that I had taken the time to chose the book and take interest that he knows correctly about the changes in the human body. It is important that children get this right, as many parents neglect the aspect of maturity and body changes leaving this to school and playground education.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets talk about sex, 27 Dec 2002
l j wilkins (BRISTOL United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my granddaughter aged 13 (going on 17). She found it really cool and took it to school where her teacher copied from it to use in their sex education discussions.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little to old for my daughter, 23 April 2010
K. BROWN (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars kids talk, 2 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Let's Talk About Sex (Paperback)
Great illustrations, great book helps to discuss the topic of sex and the changes of the body, allows you to answer any question given to you by an 8 year old. Good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative for children and adults, 21 July 2009
J. E. Jones (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Talk About Sex (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading the reviews and as my daughter and I had already began to engage in conversation around puberty, sex etc I wanted to reassure her want I was saying and what was happening to her was normal and nothing to be ashamed of.
The book is not intimidating and adds humour to difficult subjects we as parents are afraid to touch upon. I've learned from it too even though I'm married with two children! Well written and I strongly recommend it.

Let's Talk About Sex
Let's Talk About Sex by Robie H. Harris (Paperback - 7 Feb 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01