VINE VOICEon 1 May 2008
I bought this book for my increasingly curious 9 year-old daughter. We've been answering questions for quite some time now, always very matter-of-factly and truthfully, but she has also been picking up some information from the school playground - some right, some way off! So we decided now was the time to move onwards and upwards from our previous book (the excellent "Body Book" by Claire Rayner - perfect for younger children).

It wasn't clear to me what age range this book would suit but I found the author's website which is very helpful. Basically, this is marketed for children from 7 to 10, and the next book ("Let's talk about sex") is marketed for children of 10 and upwards as it covers more in depth topics which you may not feel comfortable discussing with your 7, 8 or 9 year old. So I would start with this book.

It's fun enough for children not to feel that they are being preached at, but informative enough that you could let them read it themselves and then ask you any questions. The illustrations are amusing and still factual and the subject content is entirely appropriate and written in a non-threatening manner. As well as conception, fertilisation, sex as a loving act, pregnancy and birth, some subjects also covered by this book are:

What love is and different types of love (touching briefly on the difference between heterosexuality and homosexuality); private parts and differences between boys and girls; adoption, different types of families, periods; "OK touches and not ok touches" - a really great, non-threatening and matter of fact chapter about sexual abuse, i.e. when it's ok for people to touch/look at your bottom (i.e. the doctor), and when it's not; and what you should do if any touching makes you feel uncomfortable.

All in all just exactly what I was looking for. In a year or two we will move onto "Let's talk about sex". Brilliant.

N.B. "Let's talk about where babies come from" is also sold under the title "It's so amazing"; likewise "Let's talk about sex" is also called "It's perfectly normal". Hope this avoids any confusion!
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2002
I would really recommend this book!! We have used it with our 9yr old and it is a well used book on his bookshelf. The writing is clear, the information is concise and accurate. Difficult issues such as abortion, masturbation, HIV & Aids are dealt with in a manner that would allow for family discussion and wouldn't conflict with any family beliefs & values. My 7yr old is now wanting me to read it to her. The illustrations are colourful and the cartoon characters are funny, cute and v.childlike. I don't feel the need to have another 'Facts of Life' book in our family as this one does the trick nicely!
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2001
Having read this book we felt that it was a little old for our 6 year old, but the book is very well written and will definately be used when he is a little older. I was particularly impressed that topics such as Adoption, Homosexuality and to some extent AIDS were discussed. Highly recommended for answering those awkward questions!
on 11 April 2006
MY child of 9 loves this book and so do I - its so child friendly serious, funny and very very informative and teaches everything you wanted know or ask but thought you perhaps couldn't - I have recommended this book to our local school. an excellent choice for both boys and girls to read and enjoy on their own or with a grown up.
on 11 March 2000
I AM 9 YEARS OLD AND I'VE LEARNT TONS ABOUT THE FACTS OF LIFE - MY MUM HAS EXPLAINED IT TO ME VERY WELL, BUT I LIKE THE PICTURES AND THE JOKY WAY IT IS WRITTEN. IF EVERY CHILD HAD THIS BOOK THEY WOULDN'T GET CONFUSED BY WHAT THEY HEAR FROM THEIR FRIENDS.
0Comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2007
My daughter is nine years old and I have been agonising over the best way to approach the whole growing up issue-my mother had no idea where to start with me! This book covers every important topic and is just written so well, my daughter picked it up and happily read it and there was no embarassment on either of our parts. I also read through it to check tht it was appropriate and was amazed that someone had managed to produce such an excellent educational tool while keeping the mood light and non threatening. I would recommend that every parent buy this for their childen and have told my friends and family about it,I cannot praise it highly enough!
on 12 February 2009
My sister is currently pregnant which has raised endless questions from my 8 year old son; which to be perfectly honest, I had no idea how to answer! After reading reviews of quite a few books on offer, I opted for this one and I'm really pleased I did. I'd wondered beforehand if an 8 year old could handle the 'truth', but this book is written in a completely non-judgemental way, in extremely simple to understand language - all the while leaving nothing to the imagination... and so pleased it's got me out of answering awkward questions (as I now just skip to that section and read the answer directly from the book!)
on 24 March 2008
I have two girls, of 7 and 9 years old. We love to read this together. The two animals that tell the facts of this book are a lot of fun. One represents the shy kid that doesn't want to speak of any thing so embarrassing and the big green bird is the outgoing and talkative one. The facts are explained through discussions between these two friends in a very easy, fun and explanatory way. The girls read it all the time and laugh so much with these two characters. Thumbs up!!! Well done!!
on 24 January 2011
I have been reading this with my 8 year old boy over the last couple of weeks. It talks about puberty, what changes to expect and at around what ages, which was the bit I was most keen to explain with my son. It obviously touches on sexual intercourse but in a very simple way and only in two pages of the book. It then goes on to talk very specifically about eggs/sperm and how the baby develops in the womb and how it is born. There are little cartoons throughout which are generally quite lighthearted, but we haven't really read those. In my opinion, this is an excellent book for explaining about puberty and how babies are made, but does not get too much into sex itself - I have the 'Lets talk about sex' book in the top of the wardrobe for a couple of years time when that becomes more the issue!!
on 6 March 2012
I bought this book to read/share with my 8 year old daughter, after being asked many of those "awkward" questions. I would highly recommend it, the illustrations are child friendly & colourful and the cartoon characters are sweet & funny.
It provided all the vital information and explains everything simply and was great value for money
As its quite a large book covering many topics, so i often find my daughter reading it and she is happy to come and ask me any questions without feeling embarrassed.