Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2008
A very underconfident grand-daughter read this with me and found herself uplifted. We say "remember the dot" when she is anxious about being able to do something. At the other end of the age-range, it is a wonderful book for people of all ages who have hit hard times, and just don;t believe that they can pull off anything. small groups of adults in difficult situations enjoy the unchallenging simplicity of the story - and are really encouraged when they talk over what it has meant to them.
on 6 May 2011
I had been looking for a picture book to help boost my daughter's confidence. She is very capable but often doubts herself.
She is 7 but I think it would also appeal to younger readers, especially those just starting school. On receiving this book she read it twice. It is such a delight to read and visually stunning. It strikes a perfect balance between text and images.

If your child has ever said "but I can't do it", this is the book for them.

Can't thank Amazon reviwers here enough for directing me to this beautiful book.
I hadn't heard of this one but very pleased to have discovered it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update: My daughter is now 8 and brimming with new found confidence, it has even been noted on her school report.
Was this book responsible? Well maybe not entirely, but I'm sure it has a special place in her heart. A book to treasure.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
Storyline -
A story about a little girl who believes she can’t draw. One day her teacher gets her to draw a dot, asks her to sign it and then displays it on the wall. The little girl then believe she can draw as she does a whole gallery of her artistic dots using different colours to make new colours. She even made a HUGE one. At the gallery a little boy looks at her dots and says he wishes he could draw like her. She said that he could, handed him a pen and told him to draw a squiggle. She looks at it and says sign it. He signs it.

Teachers - This is simply a beautiful book and must get into the hands of all primary teachers. It is easy to relate to and can help to engage all leaners into being creative - being creative in their own way!

Themes: colours, changes, emotions, creativity, self esteem, artwork, sizes.

Activity ideas:
- Children could draw their special dots and mix colours just like the little girl in the story does.
- Children could have their confidence in art boosted by this story. They could act out the story one each other to value each others work.
- Children could discuss the sizes of dots they can draw using mathematical knowledge e.g. bigger, smaller, biggest, smallest, larger etc.
- Children could create a group piece of art using dots. This can develop their social skills and co-operation.

Would highly recommend getting this book for your classroom or for your own bookshelf at home!
on 8 September 2012
this is one of my favourite children's books ever - it shows children that everyone can be creative. that we all can paint and draw if we want to. I've even shown it to a few adults who were foolish enough to say they aren't creative :) and it brought a smile to each of their faces.
on 20 December 2005
This is a beautifull book because the children see that they are important and they can do important things.
on 4 February 2009
What a delight. If you can hold a pencil you can create art. Valuing each others work and each others contributions to life is what makes the world go round.
on 27 October 2010
Behind every artist is a great teacher. THE DOT is a simple and inspirational story: Vashti is intimidated by an art project and believes that she can't draw. The teacher's timely and sensitive advice to "just make a mark and see where it takes you." opens the door to all possibilities of making the dot a perfect art for Vashti. Awarded for her creative endeavors, she is also able to pass her teacher's encouragement to another child who is filled with self-doubt that he can't even draw a straight line. My 6-years old made her own "dots" collection after reading the book and I truly appreciate a book that honors teacher's influence and reminds young readers to take the first faithful step which may be the beginning of a great journey.
VINE VOICEon 8 March 2005
An unusual, simple and almost moving story of a little girl who `can't draw' and is encouraged to try. She's then praised for what she does and so continues drawing her dots and experimenting, and there's a lovely ending to make an adult smile. It's a great tale relayed simply in a relatively small number of words with amusing black and white line drawings with integral coloured dots. There are subliminal lessons that can be drawn for both adult and child. A young reader would see that it is worth trying and persevering with something, and the parent/teacher is reminded to praise children for their efforts no matter what the result. My children think it's great, and I'm pleased every time they pick it off the shelf. Truly lovely.
on 5 May 2013
This set me thinking as a teacher, how do I encourage and inspire?great book for all ages , can be used in a number of subjects, like "ish"good for getting you thinking. illustrations brilliant!
on 13 March 2016
I initially bought the book after reading all the reviews as I am minding a little girl who also believes that she cannot draw or paint. When I got the book I was a little disappointed when I read it, I was expecting more, but then I read it to my five year old granddaughter and she absolutely loved it. I had to read it again and the next day she showed it to her mother and asked her mom to read it again. It was a big hit and hopefully it will mean something to the other little girl as well