5.0 out of 5 stars for any child who says "I can't"
I had been looking for a picture book to help boost my daughter's confidence. She is very capable but often doubts herself.
Published on 6 May 2011 by Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dot - disappointing
This book fell below my expectations. The content was very minimal and not at all challenging for the five year old it was bought for.
Published 19 months ago by Barbara Thornton

5.0 out of 5 stars for any child who says "I can't", 6 May 2011
Mummy "Mum of Three" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
She is 7 but I think it would also appeal to younger readers, especially those just starting school. On receiving this book she read it twice. It is such a delight to read and visually stunning. It strikes a perfect balance between text and images.

If your child has ever said "but I can't do it", this is the book for them.

Can't thank Amazon reviwers here enough for directing me to this beautiful book.
I hadn't heard of this one but very pleased to have discovered it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update: My daughter is now 8 and brimming with new found confidence, it has even been noted on her school report.
Was this book responsible? Well maybe not entirely, but I'm sure it has a special place in her heart. A book to treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, inspiring, comforting..., 20 May 2008
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
A very underconfident grand-daughter read this with me and found herself uplifted. We say "remember the dot" when she is anxious about being able to do something. At the other end of the age-range, it is a wonderful book for people of all ages who have hit hard times, and just don;t believe that they can pull off anything. small groups of adults in difficult situations enjoy the unchallenging simplicity of the story - and are really encouraged when they talk over what it has meant to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatifull, 20 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
This is a beautifull book because the children see that they are important and they can do important things.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story about what you can do if you have a go, 8 Mar 2005
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
An unusual, simple and almost moving story of a little girl who `can't draw' and is encouraged to try. She's then praised for what she does and so continues drawing her dots and experimenting, and there's a lovely ending to make an adult smile. It's a great tale relayed simply in a relatively small number of words with amusing black and white line drawings with integral coloured dots. There are subliminal lessons that can be drawn for both adult and child. A young reader would see that it is worth trying and persevering with something, and the parent/teacher is reminded to praise children for their efforts no matter what the result. My children think it's great, and I'm pleased every time they pick it off the shelf. Truly lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cultivate the artistic heart, 27 Oct 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
Behind every artist is a great teacher. THE DOT is a simple and inspirational story: Vashti is intimidated by an art project and believes that she can't draw. The teacher's timely and sensitive advice to "just make a mark and see where it takes you." opens the door to all possibilities of making the dot a perfect art for Vashti. Awarded for her creative endeavors, she is also able to pass her teacher's encouragement to another child who is filled with self-doubt that he can't even draw a straight line. My 6-years old made her own "dots" collection after reading the book and I truly appreciate a book that honors teacher's influence and reminds young readers to take the first faithful step which may be the beginning of a great journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all ages, 4 Feb 2009
KJWright "Glawster Lad" (Radley, Abingdon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
What a delight. If you can hold a pencil you can create art. Valuing each others work and each others contributions to life is what makes the world go round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 5 May 2013
J. Chahal - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
This set me thinking as a teacher, how do I encourage and inspire?great book for all ages , can be used in a number of subjects, like "ish"good for getting you thinking. illustrations brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful gift, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
this is one of my favourite children's books ever - it shows children that everyone can be creative. that we all can paint and draw if we want to. I've even shown it to a few adults who were foolish enough to say they aren't creative :) and it brought a smile to each of their faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 26 Nov 2011
I. J. Murphy (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book that I have read many times at school. I have bought this for my grandson and I am sure he and his parents will be delighted

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
Lovely book for school!

The Dot
The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (Paperback - 4 Oct 2004)