4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual (in a good way)
Published on 9 Feb 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A page turner let down by the last chapter
I really loved this book, it kept me interested until the last 15 pages, as I ploughed through it on a sunny afternoon in the garden. The story and narative style were so engaging and intriguing that I just couldn't put it down. Sadly, the carefully constructed story came to an unconvincing end which just didn't sit with the rest of the book. What a shame.
Published on 15 Aug 2011 by Manda Moo

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual (in a good way), 9 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
The style of the book is that the narrator chats to us, and it is a very rewarding style because when the screw is turned and the thriller gets more and more, er, thrilling, we put ourselves in his shoes and my nails are now bitten down to the quick. It seems very likely that if Mr Vincent keeps writing books this good and this laid-back he will become a household name.
An American friend colleague of mine tipped me off about the book because it was Book of the Month in an American magazine and it is rare for a thriller to get that kind of praise. Odd then, that the author is British and seemingly the yanks have heard of him but we haven't. A rare book indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tops, 9 Nov 2003
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
When reading this, I started wondering why there aren't more books like this. Fast paced, eloquent, intriguing, amusing. I really like all the details about the Basque Country, but at the end of the day it is the sheer energy of the book that made it so great. A psychological thriller where you really worried about this pleasant little man who had married a bit of a handful and whose life became plunged into a sort of mad thriller where the police were after him for a murder he didn't do, and he was getting death threats from someone unknown, and we can't fathom out why. The author makes it look easy, but if it was easy there would be more books this good, and there aren't are there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ROLLER COASTER YOU CAN'T GET OFF, 7 Nov 2003
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
I'm easily bored by books so I feel I should write a review about this one. It's not just gripping and thrilling, it's interesting as well.
Sal is a shy man who is moving back to his roots in Northern Spain. Little things start to go wrong and we begin to suspect that his new wife is some sort of psycho. We really like her and hope we're wrong; she's fun and is bringing him out of his shell, but his life gets more and more scary and it all spins totally out of control before we know it. I'm trying hard not to give the plot away because it is all so much fun - fun as in funny - but also fun because it is dauntingly gripping. It is also interesting about how much we should follow our roots and worry about the past or how much we should just live life for the moment.
Oh and it has a heart stopping section towards the end.
If there is a better new thriller out there then, please, let me know. I will be very surprised if I find this review surrounded by reviews where people were less happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply Paul Vincent's best book yet!, 12 Nov 2003
Dr. E. Chapman "Liz Chapman" (Cambridge, Cambs. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
I think current fans of Paul Vincent will perhaps find this new novel less off-beat than his previous work, but still very enjoyable. However there will be many new fans who will appreciate the likeable characters, strong story line, and the interesting historical references.

3.0 out of 5 stars A page turner let down by the last chapter, 15 Aug 2011
Manda Moo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Find!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
I picked this up in a charity shop for 1. It was the best 1 I think I have ever spent. I took it with me to a conference. Now I am someone who tends to stay in the conference bar until kicking out time. But no, not this time. I went to bed with a good book! First rate, believable, maelstrom that with a differently drawn hero would have been completely unbelievable. And now to see what else he has written!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book delivers the goods, 31 July 2007
Emanon (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
Paul Vincent really delivers in this book. It has good pace, good cliffhangers, and is original in both setting and style.

What sort of book is it? A romance? Yes. But no, it's a thriller.

The truth is, it is both, and it combines both these styles effectively, to produce a superior novel. Do yourself a favour and buy it. He beats mainstream thriller writers hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Vincent at his best!, 6 Nov 2003
Mr. R. A. Gregory "ricks_road" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free (Paperback)
This is easily the best book I have read this year. It has the lot: humour, suspense, adrenaline, romance and a brilliant plot that hurtles along faster than the speed of light. It is also beautifully written.
The hero (Sal) is in a baffling dilemma: he's receiving inexplicable threatening letters, he doesn't know if he knows his wife and his baby's life is in danger - as is his own.
Paul Vincent is one of the best authors currently writing.

Free
Free by Paul Vincent (Paperback - 15 Oct 2003)
10.12