on 15 November 2003
Wayne Rainey is my hero. I got got into Bike GP racing just as Rainey was about to hit the big time. His epic battles with the superstars of the goldenage were essential viewing and I could not get enough. When he had his accident I was gutted.
He never gave many interviews so I never really knew what he was really like, but this book totally opened my eyes. I never knew of his battle with his demons within to strive for more perfection and satisfaction with his racing that ultimately led him too his fate, and of the difficulties he had when he became a team manager.
Written by the legendary GP journalist Mike Scott this is one of the most fascinating stories about a sporting legend you will ever read
on 5 June 2013
this is the book for you. As recommended by the Moto GP commentary team, it's a brilliant insight into what goes on behind the scenes, with photographs and a very personal story. Wayne had a terrible accident which stopped his racing career and left him in a wheelchair but his story is one of hope and truly lets you into the mind of the men, and women, who race on two wheels. You won't put it down!
on 28 January 2014
For any motorsports fan, this is a MUST read. So well put together and a great read. Very inciteful. Have read it 4 times already
on 2 January 2002
a great book unvealing the life of a racer from the first ever race, how he became a good rider, his insparations and heart-ache through the personal injouries as well as his competitors injouries. truley brilliant book!
on 13 October 2014
Wayne is probably the best champion that never really got the recognition he deserved. As far as I can tell he was bloody minded enough to beat the strongest competition on an inferior machine. He had 2 crashes on Gp bikes. The first cost him a world championship in 1989 and the other his health in 1992. His focus, concentration and courage are recognised modestly in this book. A true champion.
on 8 September 2013
I have raced for years. And have a fair idea of what goes on in a racers head.
But this book blew me away. It's so honest and personal that you can't help but admire and pity Wayne at the same time.
It made me feel genuinely bad for the times I used to curse him when I was willing Doohan to win lol
The only thing wrong with this book is that it's too short.
on 31 May 2013
Details of his life up to his terrible crash, & how he has coped since, is very detailed. Apart from a lot of american racing details this book was superb. I have always liked Wayne Rainey & his determination to succeed, but did not follow his american racing prior to Grand Prix's.
on 13 May 2013
I chose this book on the recommendation of a sport commentator on tv.
The story of Wayne his riding career & life after his terrible accident should inspire anyone who takes part in any sport.
It is for me well written , factual & a tribute to a fine motorcycle racer.
on 7 May 2013
I was never a massive Rainey fan, but this book peels back the facade and shows just how driven he was. Brilliantly written, with some great anecdotes, and some disturbing ones. (KR's buttocks?) Well worth a read for any fan of 80's 500cc racing.
on 8 May 2013
This is the best bike GP book i've ever read. A fascinating insight into the greatest show on earth. The book evokes all sorts of strong emotion. Magic!