VINE VOICEon 28 October 2007
The format - a baby book laid out like a car maintenance book - might seem trite and shallow. It might even seem like a jokey gift to give to a new dad, but there is much more than that to this book.

The author, Dr Ian Banks, is a medic and father with a flowing and matey line in narrative about children. His no-nonsense style about conception and the first two years of life are a refreshing alternative to the earnest earth-mother style that pervades this kind of literature. Not only is the text spot-on, but the illustrations spell out just what you need to know at the right moment.

What makes this book special is that it discusses the emotions men experience. Speaking as a man, emotion is something other people display, but this book lets men know that it's OK to feel amazed/overwhelmed/torn all at once and not be a wuss.

For fathers-to-be and new fathers, this book should be compulsory reading. You might feel the need for more detail in parts, but for new fathers it's hard to beat.
This book was an inspiration.
For those fathers who want to learn a little more and did not know where to look then this is the answer.
It is well written and is also very funny! The author has managed a great mix of useful facts and humour to make it very readable.
I would heartily recommend it to my friends and would urge anyone reading this to place an order today for a great read!
on 7 December 2010
We bought the original edition and it was exactly like a Haynes car manual. Most baby books are aimed at mothers, few if any, with photos of dads. The original edition was very amusing, but particularly designed to appeal to dads to be. Format and layout was exactly like a car workshop manual, but the vehicles were prams and buggies. Feeding and nappies were approached like adding petrol or doing an oil change. The new edition probably contains the same invaluable information, including an essential first aid section, but the layout is nothing like a car manual and more like your average baby book. We have bought several copies over the last few years for friends who were about to be first time dads,and they loved it too, but having bought the newer edition a few weeks ago after a few years break, we won't be buying this as a gift again. Shame!
on 7 April 2009
I bought this for my partner as he is an engineer and already has a few haynes manuals floating around the house. He has already read it from cover to cover and feels that it will be very helpful manual for once our new addition arrives. I have also read this and feel it gives practical advice in an amusing way.
on 23 January 2015
Basically the missus started going on about this baby thing she wanted. I'm a mechanic by trade so I didn't really know what she was on about, but she assured me that it'd be no more expensive than the 1978 Ford V6 I'm currently working on, and she reckoned building it would be more fun too! So I decided to go for it, but didn't really know where to start. She opened her legs and it was like the first time I ever put my foot on the brake pedal when I'd forgotten I'd removed the caliper, fluid running everywhere uncontrollably, total panic and not a clue what to do about it!
Fortunately for me Haynes write a manual for this baby business too. I must admit I've only got as far as the first couple of chapters, apparently success is down to luck and perseverance more than skill, like trying to get rusted manifold bolts out of a Capri Pinto, but thanks to this wonderful book my ejaculation skills have improved dramatically, I'm almost as good at sex as I am at setting up a carburettor! The wife is running as sweet as a 6-cylinder BMW and I've no doubt when the series-II version of me does arrive this book will continue to help me to maintain that too. Well worth every penny!
on 8 March 2011
I bought this book recently as a gift for my husband, as we are expecting our first baby.

He really likes it because it is written from a male point of view whereas most other books out there are aimed at the mum to be. Although it does seem to cover all the important bits, it does so in a lighthearted way.
on 10 October 2003
This is a great book aimed at blokes, with information provided in a factural to the point manner without lots of waffle. My only complaint, is that there are a few areas that seem to get missed. An example being it talks about conception and birth, but hardly meantions the 9 months of pregnancy.

The best bit I love is the facts and figures to hand easily, but then maybe that's because i'm an engineer.

I should now add (a few years later) that I came back to this when we had our second child and still found it a valuable resource. I've also given it to a few friends when they've had little ones on the way.
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2003
As someone eagerly awaiting the imminent delivery of a brand spanking new baby(2003 edition, male version), I found this latest offering from the marvellous Haynes a godsend.
All the practicalities of baby operating and maintenance are explained in the usual straightforward and thoroug manner we have come to expect form this foremost publisher of manuals.
I was particularly gratified by the absence of cod psychology and half-baked philosophising which dominates so much of the new parent market.
Facts: that's what we men need and there's plenty to get your teeth into here.
Excellent stuff