5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best poultry books (an I have quite a few!)
The descriptions and clear layout of this book are delivered in an easy, approachable style and I would actually recommend this book not only to the beginner but also to the more experienced poultry keeper.

Published on 6 April 2010 by T. Daniels

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not complete
Published on 29 April 2011 by Jenny27

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best poultry books (an I have quite a few!), 6 April 2010
T. Daniels "poultrykeeper.com" (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicken Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Chickens (Hardcover)

Each chapter is expressed clearly with highly effective photos. Laurence has provided many of his own photographs for this book and for me, this really gave the book a personal touch. This is definitely a reference book you should have to hand on your bookshelf.

I thought the `Health Problems' section of the book was particularly good, so many books these days don't go into sufficient detail and so many simple health problems could be rectified without a costly trip to the vet with this information at hand.

Definately a must buy, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of vital and useful information! Definitely recommend this book., 28 May 2010
Mrs. S. Gough (Maidstone, Kent) - See all my reviews
Having just purchased 4 chickens and had a custom made run built for them, I realised I did not know the first thing about keeping chickens. A friend gave me a book called Choosing and Keeping Chickens (which was useful) but I had already ordered the Haynes Chicken Manual from Amazon. It crossed my mind that I could return it if it didn't have any more useful information than the book I already had.

However, when the Haynes Manual arrived, I was really impressed! It's a great book! I have read it from cover to cover and it's very easy reading and in lay terms (pardon the pun!) I have referred to it constantly since it arrived. When we had a soft shelled egg land in the run, I looked it up and realised it's normal for newly laying pullets to produce these to start with... when Nellie started sneezing, I looked it up and realised this too is normal. I am sure if I hadn't had this book to refer to, I would have had them all up the vets by now! :-) My 4 girls are happy and healthy and if we ever have any problems I know I can look them up in this easy to use manual. I would even advise that it's a great book to buy BEFORE you order your chickens (learn from my experience!)

For those of you who want to know a bit more about the manual, the contents of the book are as follows:
1) Introduction - Why keep chickens? History of the Chicken
2) Getting Started - Preliminary considerations, Choosing a breed, The breeds, Getting your chickens, Other poultry
3) Essential information - Daily care, Seasonal care, A chicken keeping diary, Cleaning, Feeding and watering, Housing, Security and biosecurity, Predators, Laying, First aid kit essentials
4) Specialist information - Anatomy, Colours and markings, Breeding, Showing
5) Health Problems - Common disorders and diseases, Internal parasites, External parasites, Infections, Environmental and physical issues, Biology and anatomy
6) Further information - Cooking guidelines, Dispatching, Plucking, Dressing
7) Appendices - Contact details, Glossary, Further reading, Index

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For anyone thinking of keeping chickens, 2 Feb 2010
Mr. S. J. Power (Norfolk England) - See all my reviews
Got my copy today

Great pictures and a great book for information for any one starting out in poultry.

Gives you details of everything you need to know even plans to build you own coop.

The lot is covered from breeding to health care to what your eggs should be like.

All the basics are there on care and feeding even what you need in your first aid kit.

I will be recommending this book to all the people who buy chickens from me as a great start up book.

Simon Power

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not complete, 29 April 2011
I bought this book because I wanted to start keeping a few chickens. The book is very useful in case you need generic information about keeping chickens, but I missed some practical information like: how much food does an average chicken need per day. The book says it depends on the breed so they can't say anything specific about it, but what they could have done at the least is give some guidelines... But it's still a handy book to have, it tells you a lot about breeding, chicken diseases etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for all chicken owners, 4 April 2010
I have several books on keeping chickens but this has to be the most in-depth and informative of them all. The section on health and disease is especially detailed and useful. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for novice hen keepers, 1 Feb 2011
This book is excellent for those like myself who are just embarking on hen keeping. Good presentation and photos and clear text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book as a starting point, 29 Aug 2010
As a new chicken keeper, this had lots of information. Nice photographs. Would have liked a bit more detail for a novice ie food and ailments, did not much like the section on 'dispatching'!! Good reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 May 2010
J. NEWLOVE (UK) - See all my reviews
This is without doubt the best chicken book that I have bought. Maybe doesn't have so much write up about the specific breeds as some books do but has lots of useful information in. Very colorful - very easy to read. My kids love to read through it too !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners and 'intermediates'!, 5 July 2011
I bought this book along with another, "The Urban Hen" - this is by far the best though! It looks like a traditional car manual, some friends have even laughed at it!, but it does cover everything you need to know and will probably ever need to know about chickens. I was a total novice when I got this, but it really did prepare me for getting our first 3 hens. It's in clear sections/chapters with more advanced chapters for the more advanced chicken keeper! It has fantastic, helpful photographs all the way through, including an excellent section (though not exhaustive)on breeds. It goes into great detail on health problems, and again the photos are particularly helpful if you're a newbie like me! I would definitely recommend buying this - yes it is fairly advanced in parts, but you can dip into the sections you need and leave the more advanced til you need them. (I hopefully won't be needing the 'Dispatching' section...!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comprehensive guide!, 4 Jan 2011
Ms. N. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fab book for anyone thinking about, or already owning chickens!! There are some good pictures of things like scaly leg and red mite for more novice keepers who may not have come across it! Clear and concise secions on diet, care, housing, breeding and illness along with many more sections on how to care for your chickens.

At times it feels a little bit like the book is geared a little more to those who keep larger numbers of chickens and not so much your garden keeper. However, the detail is very good without being over complicated. There are also list of daily, weekly, monthly checklists as well as a chicken calander giving you a month by month account of what to expect!

Chicken Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Chickens