on 16 July 2010
My first memories of Gerry Marshall are from when my Dad took me to Oulton Park and Croft in the early seventies, when he was competing in Special Saloons in the Old Nail Firenza against people like Tony Sugden, Doug Niven and later Nick Whiting in Escorts, and Colin Hawker's Capri, amongst others. I followed him into Group 1 in Firenzas, Escorts (including 2nd overall on the Avon Tour of Britain), and Dolomites (where I didn't realise he was also team manager).
This book fills in very comprehensively Gerry's earlier career in Minis (where he once proudly beat Roger Williamson's Anglia before Roger moved up to F3 then F1- see "The Lost Generation") and also in TVRs and Elans.
The book accompanies Gerry into Historic racing, and continues through the 80s and 90s right up to his death in 2004, with a great variety of period photos, personal accounts of his sometimes complicated private life, his friendships with people like Tony Lanfranchi, Barrie Williams and Roger Clark, a complete race results listing compiled by his son Gregor, and even extracts from his funny and informative magazine columns in Motor and Triple C.
An excellent account of the busy life of a formidable racer, a well written and very enjoyable mix of narrative, photos, personal comments, and facts & figures.
on 6 June 2010
Five stars but I will admit I have not read it. Saw it in a high street bookshop, flicked through it for a while, reading the odd bit and taking in the pictures - and then bought it from Amazon. What does Gerry Marshall mean to you - an FB Viva, FC, Old Nail, Big Bertha, Baby Bertha, that shot of Gerry & Roger Clarke in RS 2000's in the Avon Tour of GB, Only Here for the Beer, Astons, Other ? Based on the pictures I knew I wanted this book. Possibly more pictures of Big Bertha in any one book I have read/looked through. Look out for the Vauxhall & Castrol GTX advert, featuring Big Bertha, Gerry Marshall, a can of GTX and several topless young women - reminds me of reading Custom Car Magazine as a teenager. I never met or saw Gerry Marshall in the flesh, but he was an accomplished racer, a big man with a big reputation. I remember reading about his death, that he pulled the Camaro over, shut it down and then passed away, a fitting end for a road warrior. Reading the first review (by the Camaro's owner) reminded me of the way I felt when I heard about his passing and the way it happened - RESPECT !
on 18 May 2010
As a huge fan of Gerry Marshall I had been eagerly looking forward to this book, and it certainly did not disappoint. It spans the entire life and career of the legendary driver in great detail, with extensive photographs and well written and thoroughly researched text. There is also a comprehensive table of Gerry's race results, not to mention many humorous anecdotes and a few samples of Gerry's magazine columns. This is an essential purchase for fans of Gerry Marshall. Simply brilliant!
on 19 January 2011
I spent many days at British racing circuits over the course of 20 years from the late 1970's and we always knew that if Gerry was down to drive we were in for a treat. Surely there has never been another driver who drove in such an utterly crowd pleasing style and yet who won as many races as Gerry did. As soon as I saw that this book was going to be published it was on my wish list and it finally arrived here in the USA yesterday. I was not disappointed. The photographs are extremely evocative, especially to me those of the various Astons and TVR's, and will bring back memories to many. From a brief glance at the text I know that the book is also going to be a great read, as one would hope given the character of the main protagonist. The recent demise of characters like Gerry and Peter Wheeler has left a huge void that will probably never be filled and it is important that books like this are available. Bravo Mr Walton, perhaps a biography of the saviour of TVR, Peter Wheeler, next?
on 28 December 2010
A well written story of the life and times of one Britains best natural drivers and showmen. I saw him race many times whilst marshalling and he always gave of his best whether it was in a little clubbie race or British G.P. support. This book details his ups and downs very well with some brilliant pictures which remind the reader of times gone by and in cars, a lot of which sadly are no longer around and also reminding us of past drivers which like the big man himself are no longer here.
The pictures make this book, especially those of Big Bertha which I saw destroyed at Silverstone, not many pictures of this car are still around. Of course pictures of Baby Bertha are always worth looking at.
This whole book harks back to a time when even top line saloon racing was still fun and whatever happened on the track was sorted out in the bar afterwards!
A briilant book for people who admired and respected a great driver.
on 2 May 2010
For those of us who knew and admired race car driver Gerry Marshall, this book is an absolute must. For those who might not have known Gerry, but love auto racing great characters, this book makes great reading. Gerry was one of the greatest motor racing characters -- in the positive sense.

The book is authored by Gerry's long term friend Jeremy Walton and Gerry's son Gregor Marshall. Other family members were involved in this book, so there are numerous photographs from family archives. Gerry's incredible race history (40 years, 625 race wins in about 1400 races) is recorded in detail, as is Gerry's fun loving life style off-track. Certainly this book is the definitive Gerry Marshall book.

I only wish the authors had contacted me, as I own the IROC Camaro in which Gerry suffered his fatal heart attack -- and, ever the professional, managed to pull off the track and switch off the ignition and fuel pumps. Unfortunately, there is no photograph of the Camaro in the book.
on 19 November 2011
Any motor racing fan will find this book a real treasure. Gerry Marshall was without a question our finest saloon driver ever and is missed by so many people. To read his full life story and all that goes with it is a real eye-opener. Gerry was no saint, but the world of motor sport is the worse off for his loss. Read this book and you will enrich your knowledge of a true motor sport hero. Pride of place on my bookshelf...
on 18 October 2010
This highly entertaining book has all the information on the best race driver the UK has produced. The listings of Gerry's race results at the back will amaze you, 625 wins, and many, many race position places. A glowing tribute to the man, to both inform, and entertain you, - I cannot put it down.
on 2 December 2011
This is a great book for those who remember when racing drivers raced! I remember Gerry from a little girl, im near to retirement age now. He drove my dads Elan and FF. Alot of great memories and a really entertaining book.
on 31 October 2013
I personnaly couldn't summarise this, so he's what Gregor Marshall has said: -

"Gerry Marshall was a legendary figure in British motorsport from the mid-1960s until his death in 2005. A larger-than-life character in every way, Gerry's outrageous behaviour, humour, outspokenness and legendary capacity for alcohol combined to ensure that no social event with his presence will ever be forgotten, while his amazing car control, tenacity and natural showmanship provided wonderful entertainment for thousands of racegoers over a 40-year career in which he won more than 600 races. This lavishly illustrated tribute will be treasured by all of Gerry's fans."