4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for the layman
If, like me, you are about to go down the route of pushing skywards with a loft conversion then you would be well advised to read this book.

Published on 8 April 2009 by Mr. D. J. Marsh

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a DIY instruction manual
I bought this book because I wanted to learn DIY techniques about LOFT CONVERSION. There arelots of valuable information for the novice. However, this is not the same when you buy a Haynes's car manual. Therefore, the title of this book is misleading. If you want to know how to build it yourself, this book is not for you.
Published on 14 Oct. 2010 by Issa

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for the layman, 8 April 2009
Mr. D. J. Marsh (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)

Simply written with the 'lay person' in mind if covers all aspects of the loft conversion and gives helpful, up to date, advice whether you intend to get in a specialilst company to do all the work, get a part conversion carried out or intend to totally go it alone the book covers the many pitfalls along the way and taking the time to read this book could save you a lot of money in the course of the conversion. Definitely recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loft Conversion Manual, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
As a qualified Building Surveyor, and someone who is about to embark on a loft conversion, I found this book to be invaluable, particularly with regards to the ways of how to comply with Part L of the Building Regulations regarding thermal insulation and the options on how to address this. The book is full of very helpful hints and suggestions with regards to dealing with many technical problems, but is not over complicated with jargon and will help to explain to most good DIY and others how to decide on your conversion, or even whether to do it at all!
It also deals very well indeed with the preliminary issues on dealing with the planning and building regulations, as well as how to go about actually getting the job done, choosing surveyors and building contractors.
The book met all my expectations and more, it is very well illustrated with lots of pictures, is hard backed and very good value for money. My only suggestion would be for the next edition is probably to uprate it slightly, and to include a bit more with regards to the technical issues and design, so that it will appeal to the more technically minded and perhaps loft conversion specialists and contractors.
Over all and excellent publication, which has not only saved me a lot of time, but has probably saved me hundreds of pounds on the cost of the work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loft Conversion Manual, 22 May 2009
Mrs. R. Pleasant "Andy's mum" (Oldham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
This book is excellent, a step by step guide to loft conversions. It may be a bit too easy for experts but we got it because we are not experts and it has filled in all the gaps in our knowledge, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written. Packed with info for the loft virgin., 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
I opted for this one because I thought, hey! they've got car manuals down to a tee.

Obviously the brief for this book was to cover as much ground as possible. From the survey, planning and building regs to completion. It goes into enough detail on floor/roof structure, windows, stairs, walls, electrics, plumbing & energy conservation that all the questions I had in my head were answered.

There are loads of photos and illustrations. Plenty of shots of work in progress which was exactly what I wanted. I also wanted an overview of timber strengths class, steels info, rules of conventional stairs (eg Pitch degree, min gap between balusters etc) eco specs, insulation options, planning requirements etc. I got what I wanted (feels strange)
I also got a lot of info that I didn't think I wanted. Like a chart showing how many energy efficient lights are needed for floor area.

For anyone with practical skills and common sense about to tackle their own loft conversion this book is a great investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars good start on insulation, 27 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
I looked at several books on loft conversions and this one is one of the best books. It is the only one that really starts to deal with insulation. But it is unfortunately not complete and I would have liked more `good practice' on the subject. If you ask your builder to do exactly the same as in the pictures on page 197-201 and make sure he does it, you're OK - ish (read also the other pages!). A good place to look for good practice is on the planning portal of the government and look for the `accredited construction details'. There is a Scottish version too.
Don't trust your builder, even if he is (or pretends to be) a `specialist'. Ask lots of questions and keep asking and make sure you keep a close eye on the construction. In the vast majority of cases you need 2 layers of insulation: a lot of builders and architects get it wrong. I would certainly recommend this book over the other ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for anyone considering a loft conversion, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
I read the comments about this book being no good if you wanted to do your own loft conversion.

I have found it very helpful, and whilst you might not to be able to do all the conversion yourself, you can do most of it. it was also helpful from the point of view of understanding what the builder was talking about - it stopped me being fooled by one cowboy builder , so that in itself was good money well spent in buying this guide.
we are now about to start the build and we are just using a good builder to help with the steels and to help us understand some of the plans. the total cost of a loft conversion in a bungalow with large double bedroom, a shower room and study and storage area will cost approx. £8,000 now instead of the £30,000 we had been quoted.

even if you only use this book for reference when dealing with a builder its invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, 6 Feb. 2010
J. Sheppard - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
A thourghly good reference guide on any loft project, it will not tell you how to fully do it yourself but very useful and full of great ideas and as a reference source. Fully recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book before you convert your loft, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
I bought this together with the Haynes manual on extensions. It is a MUST-HAVE for anyone considering converting their loft. Everything is explained simply and clearly, from the first moment you decide you need to convert to the completion of the project and beyond. You are led through it stage by stage. Your attention is brought to any possible pitfalls, and more importantly how to avoid or overcome them. Technical terms and the use and purpose of materials are explained with the help of countless photos and illustrations. You will know exactly what your builders and tradesmen are doing and using at every stage, and how to ensure that the work meets the necessary regulations. Advice is given on making changes along the way, when and how to pay for work, and very importantly how to deal with mistakes, disagreements or poor workmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you plan to convert your loft, get this book first, 23 Sept. 2011
Stephanie (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
Reading the other reviews of this and similar books made me go for this one and I'm glad I did. Mine is not a DIY project. Having read this I was so much better prepared for the early stages of the project and I'm sure as the work progresses I'll continue to find this book useful. All the right questions answered and in a readable practical way. Photos are good. Examples of "What yours might be like" are good, and particularly helpful are the pointers towards what one cannot do as much as what one can. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for a novice, 1 Sept. 2011
Ompom (west midlands,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
I bought this book, having borrowed a copy from the library first. I have planning permission to convert my loft and wanted to know how to progress. This book walks you through the whole process from applying for planning permission to finishing the project. It doesn't tell you how to do it yourself, but is a brilliant reference manual, so that you can understand what the builders are talking about! Probably suit a complete building novice such as myself.

Loft Conversion Manual
Loft Conversion Manual by Ian Rock (Hardcover - 21 May 2008)