on 5 June 2013
They come in for a lot of stick, but Haynes are great. Perhaps its because I'm British, but somehow they meet my needs.

I bought several US books regarding EMS and Efi to find them packed with endless pictures of obsolete american brands of ECUs (are they paid for product placement?) and a strange mixture of simplistic advice about how to splice wires placed immediately alongside the most horrendously complex projects involving custom alterations of 1950s cars into chromed and turbocharged amazing machines.

In contrast, good old Haynes explains how engine management works with minimal pizzaz. It goes on to explain how, with a £30 voltmeter, I can test the various sensors and actuators on my car, diagnose faults and change parts. For someone at home with tuning pre-1980s cars, this was perfect to help me demystify the whole 'EFI' scene. Strongly recommended for the 50 year old frustrated DIY mechanic who always asssumed engine management and fuel injection was beyond him. Its not; and Haynes prove that.
on 20 April 2013
I bought this book to diagnose a high idle problem on an MGF. Although the car is now 13 years old this book helped a great deal and problem now fixed. The descriptions of the devices and electronics that are used to control both petrol and diesel engines is excellent. It will help if you have a basic knowledge of electro-mechanical systems because the book describes the principles assuming you have some engineering knowledge. I particularly liked the first chapter which takes you through the issues of managing car engines and why that is very desirable - emissions, fuel economy and efficient power output. It is one of those books where you need to sit and read quietly somewhere ! - flicking through the pages in haste trying to find a quick answer didn't work for me, I had to read all the introductions a couple of times to get up to speed. I would recommend this book though as an excellent introduction and short course concerning the vehicle management systems that we live with today - worth having a copy to hand.
on 28 January 2016
Happy with the book. maybe learn something from it.