5.0 out of 5 stars The Beauty Of Words And The Horror Of War
This is the first Black Library audiobook that I have tried and I have to say that I truly relished the entire experience.

Published on 11 Nov 2011 by Mr. S. A. Wake

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ...as far as it goes
A well set up and executed story was spoiled somewhat for me by the rather abrupt ending. I was taken by surprise when I discovered that the single CD was just 75 minutes long. A little more attention to drawing the threads together into a satisfying conslusion would have improved this item immensely.
Published on 10 Feb 2010 by Sapper

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beauty Of Words And The Horror Of War, 11 Nov 2011
Mr. S. A. Wake "Darth Sebious" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)

I started reading the Horus Heresy a few months ago and have made my way through to Mechanicum. I am enjoying the series immensely; whilst the quality does vacillate a little and the chronology jumps about significantly, these books are indeed incredible.

First things first: This audiobook should not be listened to before completing the first three books of the Series; Horus Rising; False Gods and Galaxy In Flames, as it follows the Raven Guard on Isstvan V.

I have read a number of reviews and would like to give mine, while answering a number of the criticisms leveled at it. The biggest complaint is that that it is relatively short, but only in direct comparison to the novels themselves: The audio book runs at just over 70 minutes, while the novels are 400 pages plus. Due to the length of this radio play, which it seems more than a straight up audiobook, the story is much shorter than a novel, but the story itself is incredible. This is not in the actual mapping of the story, which becomes fairly obvious early on, but the quality of Gav Thorpe's words is so high. This combined with the ambiance created by the music and sound effects, which are not perfect, but certainly decent, and the vocal talents of Toby Longworth truly immerse you in the action and even allow the emotional nuances to render themselves upon the listener.

I will concede that the Longworth's voices are good, but do sometimes bleed into one another of the course of the story, but this is not a serious malady.

In all honesty I would recommend listening to this with headphones and rather loudly to truly immerse you in the story. By the end I was wracked with goosebumps and far more submerged in the story than I ever thought this audiobook would, especially considering it's length.

I would say it is certainly worth the money and a quality product and I look forward to The Dark King and Lightning Tower, Garro: Oath Of Moment, Garro: Legion Of One and Butcher's Nails (The last one coming in June 2012)

In conclusion. Great Audio Drama, which is not essential for the main thrust if the Horus Heresy, but if you enjoy these books as much as so many and certainly I do then this is an amazing listen, especially as this is a glimpse of the Raven Guard directly after the end of Galaxy In Flames

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done but not essential, 7 Jan 2012
C. Verspeak "f*" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
Raven's Flight has the same production values as the other Black Library audio dramas. It is pretty good then, and the small cast is not a problem for Toby Longworth to find voices for.

The story is ok, but not earth-shaking and not really essential for followers of the larger Horus Heresy. It does provide a nice intro to some of the characters featured in Deliverance Lost (Horus Heresy) and set up one or two of the plotlines featured therein but does not really add an awful lot to the Heresy's background - probably not enough to justify the full price anyway.

Ok then for listening to on a long journey or while painting, but not the greatest thing Black Library have produced in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very good - if only it was longer!, 24 Feb 2010
Scott Mackie (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
I didn't know what to expect when I bought this audio book. I've been following the horus heresy series since it started and it has been absolutely great - but I didn't know how it would translate to an audio book. Like other reviewers I was worried about the voice acting, however I was really impressed with how good this was for this book. The narrator has distinctive voices for each of the main characters, which when combined with the background sound effects makes great listening. The story is extremely well written (Gav Thorpe is one of the best Warhammer writers). I listened to this on the car on the way to work and I was so engrossed that I couldn't remember any of the journey when I got there!

The only problem I have with this is that it is far too short. At 76 minutes I was able to listen to this in just over 1 trip to work. This was disappointing as I feel that so much more could have been done with this idea - and we could have had something great. Putting this aside however I would recommend this to anyone who has been following the horus heresy series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ...as far as it goes, 10 Feb 2010
Sapper (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars ok but based on the book, 8 Jan 2014
S. Madetoja "Mopo1" (Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
It was an good audiodrama but since i read the book it took the edge of it. But worth buying though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Audio, 6 Feb 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
With reading time at a premium these days it's always a delight to find a book that can be tackled at other times so these audio book releases from the Black Library have been ideal. Not only do you get a great story of heroism but you're backed up with cracking narration and voice characterisation for each of the cast members. Its good solid fun and something I've been enjoying immensely.

Here in their latest offering the Raven Guard are fighting against the World Eaters in a no quarter asked or give battle to the death. Gory, high ideals and above all a story arc that not only fits in well with the world but also one that gives the reader that satisfied feeling as the last word fades. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... into my science fiction and this story is as good as all the others in this series, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
Iv always been into my science fiction and this story is as good as all the others in this series. Puts you in the dark,gloomy ,dangerous world of the Space Marines.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Heresy brought to life..., 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
Normally I'm not a big fan of audiobooks, preferring to be able to read a little and then save my page and return to the book a little later. But I'm a massive fan of the Horus Heresy series, and seeing as Raven's Flight is only available in audio format, I (reluctantly) had to order the CD, or else miss out on part of the saga.

Having just listened to it for the first time, and then hit 'play' again to listen a second time, I have immediately ordered The Dark King, and pre-ordered the two Garro audios!

I've never read any of Gav Thorpe's other work, but Raven Guard is very well written. Being of relatively short length it keeps the number of main characters low, with there only being four characters who really get any kind of focus. The Raven Guard Primarch, Corax, is the main character of the piece and is written especially well. Whilst the likes of Horus, Magnus and Fulgrim have had entire written novels to develop their characters, Corax has only his share of a 75 minute running time to connect with the listener. But this turns out to be more than enough, and the human side of this superhuman being is nicely dealt with. Raven;s Flight also gives a good, if brief, history of the Raven Guard, and Corax's first meeting with the Emperor. Whenever I had previously attemtped to remember the 18 pre-Heresy Astartes legions, the Raven Guard had always been forgotten as I knew little-to-nothing about them. Having listened to Raven's Flight they are now as firmly rooted in my understanding of the Great Crusade as the likes of the Emperor's Children and the Luna Wolves.
Toby Longworth does a good job of narrating the story, and I was largely happy with the voices he lent to the characters. The musical score helps to bring out the emotion in the story, and the fantastic sound effects really help to create atmosphere - never before have I sat painting Space Marines with the sounds of bolter-fire echoing around the room!

Whilst I do agree that the 75 minute running time is a little too short, leaving you aching for more (which is why I award 4 stars instead of 5), Raven's Guard is still an excellent addition to the Horus Heresy series, and one that I would recommend any fan of the novels (or simply of the Raven Guard themselves) to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dark King & the lightning Tower., 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
It's wonderful to hear the written word. To hear the sound of battle imagine what it must be like and look like. However the sound of one person playing the entire cast and using different voice to portray them all, was sadly very disappointing. The narrator just didn't have the depth to relay the magnitude of such giants as the Primarchs and the Emperor!
I'm still glad I bought it but they could have done better.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little shorter than expected., 2 Jun 2010
M. Simkins (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) (Audio CD)
The story was well read and certainly came to life with the sound effects. I bought it for the drives to and from work but it was a little shorter than I expected and I finished it on the first day! I felt it needed a bit more substance and that it was just getting started when it finished. Still it gives some more insight onto the Horus Heresy and how the Raven Gaurd are decimated, most Games Workshop fans will enjoy it.

Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy)
Raven's Flight (The Horus Heresy) by Gav Thorpe (Audio CD - 4 Feb 2010)
Used & New from: £6.98