1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Solaris Science Fiction 2, 4 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction: v. 2 (Mass Market Paperback)
Being quite a new reader of the short science fiction form, I found this collection to be quite a broad introduction to the field. Also, as I'm more of a fantasy reader, it introduced me to some authors I had not been previously familiar with and this encouraged me to start tracking some of them down.

One story that has particularly stuck with me is Peter Watts's story "Eyes of God" which is an interesting look at identity and what we consider integral to our own. Others that I enjoyed were Mary Robinette Kowal's "Evil Robot Monkey" and Paul di Fillipo's "iCity". Again, they were authors I wanted to read more of.

I didn't particularly like the Moorcock or Roberson story. The Moorcock story may be enjoyable to followers of the man but as a newcomer to his material, it lost me completely. The Roberson story took a long time to get going with agonising descriptions of various protective gear and got quite preachy.

Another story that went down the preachy road was Eric Brown's "Sunworld": another not-very-original contribution to the whole science vs religion thing. A much better, and more nuanced, story fitting into this area, in the same volume, is Schroeder's "Book, Theatre and Wheel".

The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction: v. 2
The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction: v. 2 by George Mann (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01