4.0 out of 5 stars Shows promise as a trilogy.
I bought Dark Lord because I wanted to read something new, and because I liked the front cover, and because I liked the idea; an author who's lost control of his creation and finds that it is a real world. A world in which he is both hero and villain.

Published on 29 April 2008 by Luke A. G. Palmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Ed Greenwood Falls from Grace
Oh Ed, how did we ever get here?

Published on 12 July 2011 by Antonious Prime

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows promise as a trilogy., 29 April 2008
Luke A. G. Palmer "Luke Palmer" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga) (Hardcover)

I enjoyed the plot of the book, although at times I found it a tad difficult to follow. Everything comes together nicely towards the end of the book, but until then it is difficult to see how certain characters fit into the plot.

The picture that Greenwood paints of the despoiled world of Falconfar is a vivid one; he is to be commended for his descriptive ability. The characterisation is excellent; the protagonist is bewildered for just long enough for it to be believable, given that he is the creator of the world he's been thrust into.

Suspense is aplenty, and there are several places that will get the adrenaline pumping. There is some humour, both with the main characters and the 'comic relief' characters. I was left a little disappointed with the ending, but it did leave me wanting to read the rest of the trilogy which is part of its function, I suppose.

I will most definitely be reading the next part of the trilogy when it is written, as the story has enormous potential to become epic. Done well, I can see it being compared to Lord of the Rings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ed Greenwood Falls from Grace, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga) (Hardcover)
Oh Ed, how did we ever get here?

Let me start off by saying I read a LOT of fantasy, and as such can enjoy a shallow tale of swords and sorcery. I've been a fan of Greenwood since, well, the original Forgotten Realms years and picked this up hoping to be transported back to the days when the genre was fresh, and closer to the RPG roots from whence it originated.

How disappointed I was.

This is a terrible book and really smacks of a half-hearted attempt at a pay-day for Greenwood.

The writing is lazy, virtually unedited as far as I can see (the word 'shapely' is used almost every page - also, I silently screamed every time I read the word 'wherefore', it's used so often). Random plot devices, hideously cliched exposition, uninteresting characters, lack of any real storyline... I could go on. But I won't. I've wasted enough of my life reading this trash.

If you prefer your brain cells to stay in your head as opposed to sluicing out your ears, avoid.

Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga)
Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga) by Ed Greenwood (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01