5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody and Gritty Trench Warfare in the 40k Universe
This is a very gritty, action packed and compelling story. It follows the story of Arven Larns, a farm boy, who at the age of 17 gets conscripted into the Imperial Guard. When he ends up fighting against Orks on the planet Broucheroc, he has to see if he can last longer than the average life expectancy of a new Imperial Guards Man. Can he live past 15 hours?
The...
Published on 12 Jun 2005 by Mr. Ean E. Proctor

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for the enthusiast
Published on 27 Dec 2005 by Mr. M. Toomey

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody and Gritty Trench Warfare in the 40k Universe, 12 Jun 2005
Mr. Ean E. Proctor "procky3" (Isle of Man, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
The writer has a great style of writing and you feel for the main character from the start. He also has a way of fleshing out his varied characters that Larn meets very quickly, so you feel that you know them too.
The main feel of the book is reminiscent of the First World War. Young soldiers fighting for their lives in brutal trench warfare.
This is Micheal Scanlons first book for the Black Library, hopefully the next one will be as good as this one.
5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent beginning for Imperial Guard novels., 20 Jun 2010
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
Guard... ATTACK!!! Wow.. I've read this book in two days. For me it's fast 'cause I don't have much time unless you count the trips to work and so...

This is Mr. Scanlon first book. I think he did an exclent work. I've read some reviews in other places (Amazon, Black Library and others) and most of all agreed this is a fast turning book. It's catching and it's not for the feint. I've read some parts that make me feel I was in that battlefield. It remind me some stories about WW I in the trenches. It add some good perpective about the guardsman life and the connection between them and their superiors.

There is one part that blow me away and made me tremble..
"From the corners of his eye Larn caught gimpses of the others around him. He saw Bulaven, a lasgun in his hands taken from other Guardsman. He saw Davir. Scholar. Zeebers. He saw Chalker, his expression cool and detached, working the slide of his shotgun to send round after round into the enemy. He saw Vladek. Medical Oficer Svenk. The cook, Trooper Skench, a laspistol blazing in his one remaining hand as he stood besides others. He saw their faces. Scholar drawn yet steadfast. Bulaven dutiful, Zeebers nervous, Davir spiting obscene and angry oaths at the advancing orks. He saw steely determination and a refual to go easily to death. AS he saw it, Larn felt a feelting shame that he had doubted these men when he had first met them. Whatever their manner they were all wahat a Guardsman should be. Brave. Resolute. Unbending in the gace of the enemy. These were the men on which the Imperium had been built. The men who had fought its every battle. Won its every victory. Today, they were hoepelessly outnumbered. Today it was their final stand. (page 227)
After reading this book, and before as well I prefer the guardsman stories than to Marines stories.

Other reviewer said this was a teeneger writing or something. I agree. It's not like Dan Abnett or Ian Watson. But I guess this "teenager" writing made this book even greater. The common soldier is not a writer or poet. I guess that made us see almost from the eyes of the main character. It was good also 'cause the pages were turning even faster. Overall..

If you want to read about a common guardsman and not a hero like Rambo I would reccomend this book. You won't see here a man who have kill 1001 orks while drinking beer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifteen hours, 4 Jun 2007
Anthony James Frain "Anth" (Durham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
Scanlon's first steps into the 40k genre are both brutal and jaw dropping. His sense of pace, environment, and his unique perspective on the Imperium is both exhilarating and disturbing. Scanlon's ability to keep you reading and then slow the pace allowing you to take in the brutality of trooper Larn's situation is truly awesome. A great book that in essence is a literary punch to the gut. It leaves the reader exhausted and drained, with a new understanding of the dark future of mankind and the futility of it's continues warfare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction but blown off course at the end !, 17 Oct 2006
Mr. R. Coleman (Marlow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
OK, this is the first ever Warhammer 40k book that I have ever read, and although I have painted up a few 40k figures from Games workshop, I had no idea about the 40k universe. A Warhammer 40k virgin so to speak.

This book however is an excellent introduction I felt to the 40k universe. It is not blinding the reader with details of regiments and heirarcy, science or military hardware. In fact I feel that serious readers of the 40k universe may find that the book does not contain enough depth for them or detail.

The book is basically about a young lad from a farm, drafted into the Imperial Guards, his training and his first action. It is about the short relationships he forms with the people around him and even though the characters come and go with extreme frequency - dead mostly - most are well thought through character wise and memorable.

I also enjoyed the short breaks in the book where other characters and situations came in - not directly involved with the lead character, but still having an effect on him never-the-less. Rat boy would make an excellent book on its own.

This is the first book by this author and his writing is extremely adictive. I would definately recommend this book. But please beware with the length of this book - it is inly 250 pages, and 10% of them are blank ! It left me hungry for more anyhow.

What spoilt this book for me - and I truly wish I could give 4 1/2 instead of 5 - is the end. please re-issue this book with a different last few lines. The reader knows by the end the futilities of war but I really liked our hero at the end, and, well, oh go on read it for yourselves !

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but a good start for 40k virgins., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
For those of you still new to the lore of the Warhammer 40,000, this book along with Nick Kyme's Assault on Black Reach are both really good places to start. Nether are very long or overcomplicated, and each do a really great job of introducing the basics of the universe. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that when the inevitable 40K Movie happens, these two books would be the best to use as source material for a script.

As for Fifteen Hours itself, don't expect things to get too seriously epic, this is a personal story first and foremost. Don't expect things to get particularly uplifting either (this is the grim darkness of the far future where there is only war after all). Basically, this is a tale of one man's journey through a horrible battle supplemented with a fair amount of tidbits about general life in the Imperial Guard as well as in the Imperium itself (minor spoiler: it really, REALLY sucks).

Note: this story is included in the Black Library's Imperial Guard Omnibus Vol. 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bootcamp to Battlefield, 23 Mar 2012
Lee Hanley (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
There is something very satisfying about Bootcamp novels. In this one a farmhand is turned into a soldier and hurled by fate into action as an Imperial Guard on a planet engaged in a World War I type conflict with Orcs. We live through the horrors with said farmhand as he comes to terms with his new life, short as it may be. This is a brilliantly written and vivid portrait that is difficult to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
It is the best book I've ever read. Though I'm not English, the book was very easy to read as Mitchel Scanlon's only focusing on the good story and not on making it sound fancy. The flow of the book was very good and I couldn't put it away until I was done reading it. The only bad thing about the book was its length - I could have read on for many more hours.
Brilliant work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 2 Dec 2005
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
The book is good from the start. The story grips you and i personally couldn't put down the book. I first read about the City of Broucheroc in the compelation book "Bringers of Death" and there you meet a few of the characters that appear in this book. Its well worth the read and i highly recommend it to any warhammer 40k fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imperial Guard Attack, 19 Sep 2006
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a great book. Its portrayal of the life of the Imperial Guard is very well done and kept me turning the pages.

As my first foray into the world of the Imperial Guard I wasnt sure what to expect, having been a staunch Space Marine fan all along, but I am very impressed and will now start reading more of the same. It is because of the excellent writing that I am now on my way to the bookstore to pick up a copy 'For the Emperor' by Sandy Mitchell and have 'First and Only' by Dan Abnett on order.

Love live the Emperor!

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for the enthusiast, 27 Dec 2005
Mr. M. Toomey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) (Mass Market Paperback)
If you like warhammer then you may buy this whatever the reviews. For the most part this was an uninteresting book, one part made me smile the account of the Catatchan Terranosaour but apart from that not much happened. Its obvious that the account at the beginning is about the main character which makes it a bit pointless and there were no characters that you could feel for. There were also more than a few grammer mistakes. Although i havent read any of the authors previous work (Mainly in warhammer comics) i advise you to skip this one.

Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000)
Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40, 000) by Mitchel Scanlon (Mass Market Paperback - 16 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01